New puppy for home security.

This is a discussion on New puppy for home security. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iíve read a lot of threads saying to have a dog for home security. My stepson has a beagle/Dachshund mix named BO that is about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New puppy for home security.

Iíve read a lot of threads saying to have a dog for home security. My stepson has a beagle/Dachshund mix named BO that is about 10 months old. Well today I bought another puppy for myself and my wife and for a playmate for BO. His name is Buddy and he is 9 weeks old and a German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix. We bought both of these dogs from animal shelters. I believe Buddy should weigh 60 to 80 pounds full grown. What do you think of this mix? I donít expect Buddy to be a guard dog but just a pet that will bark if someone is on the prowl and wake me up and or give me some time to defend my family. 60 to 80 pounds of German Shepherd/Golden Retriever bark might detour some bad guys. Itís been awhile since I had any dogs but they truly are mans best friend. My avatar picture is BO when we first got him and below is a picture of Buddy taken from the pet adoption place on the internet.
    Attached Images
    PRO-SECOND AMENDMENT - Live Free or Die

Distinguished Member
    Congrats on the new puppy. His eyes are very expressive. He looks like a great first alert system.

Quote Originally Posted by B94 View Post
    His name is Buddy and he is 9 weeks old and a German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix. We bought both of these dogs from animal shelters. I believe Buddy should weigh 60 to 80 pounds full grown. What do you think of this mix? I don’t expect Buddy to be a guard dog but just a pet that will bark if someone is on the prowl and wake me up and or give me some time to defend my family.
    Golden's and GS's... are both known for protective instincts , especially protecting their familiy. If SHTF , I'ld expect that he'll be in the fight before you are. Both breeds are easily trained and intelligent.

Congrats on the pup..... train early. Since you are IN KANSAS, any sister / brothers left... I've been wanting a bigger dog.

My daughter moved out with her White German Shephard that I loved, and then a few months ago she died of old age. I sure miss that dog. She was also very protective.... and loved to open doors. When my daughter thought she could keep her in 'one area' by closing a door, the dog would get her mouth on the handle and twist it until it came open. She was determined to be wherever you were. When my daughter lodged something against the door so she couldn't open it, she chewed thru the door. LMAO. Dog won that debate.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Golden's and GS's... are both known for protective instincts , especially protecting their familiy. If SHTF , I'ld expect that he'll be in the fight before you are. Both breeds are easily trained and intelligent.

Congrats on the pup..... train early. Since you are IN KANSAS, any sister / brothers left... I've been wanting a bigger dog.

My daughter moved out with her White German Shephard that I loved, and then a few months ago she died of old age. I sure miss that dog. She was also very protective.... and loved to open doors. When my daughter thought she could keep her in 'one area' by closing a door, the dog would get her mouth on the handle and twist it until it came open. She was determined to be wherever you were. When my daughter lodged something against the door so she couldn't open it, she chewed thru the door. LMAO. Dog won that debate.
    I believe that his brothers and sisters are all taken but here is a link to the place I found Buddy -

http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

They also had some German Sheperd/Lab mix that looked good. You might check them out.
    PRO-SECOND AMENDMENT - Live Free or Die

GM
    He is so sweet. Congrats.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Yes....indeed. Congratulations on the new puppy!
    Home security? That remains to be seen.............Buddy does have that tactical look about him while at the same time being cute (all puppies are cute....just like kids).
    I'd like to commend you on the name for the dog. Buddy is a good name. That was my German Shepherd's name. Long story, but I now have two of the best dogs I could ever want......Rascal and Koda.

Congrats on the new canine...your home should be a bit safer, in about a year!
    He's a cute little guy.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; September 6th, 2010 at 09:48 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Buddy looks to be a good one. I have owned Shepherd mix dogs for many years, and have always had exceptional results from them.... both healthy and smart. I don't want an attack dog, either... just let him bark and you'll have a great early warning system...... like Luka.... 16 months, and 82 pounds.

Luka%20park.jpg
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    HE IS ADORABLE!!!!!! make sure you show him lots of love and give him a scratch behind the ears for me!!
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Rescues and shelter dogs are the way to go unless you plan on breeding the good puppy dog.

Here's my rescue GSD at 2.5 yrs old enjoying his "Tacticool" cooling device:

One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I have a German Shephard Golden mix and she is the best guard dog I've ever had. She's sweet and loving with kids, but as my father said when he came over unannounced and tried to walk in the back gate, nobody's coming in this house that she doesn't want here.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Goodness, the puppy picture is aggressively adorable. How lucky for both of you.

And those other dogs look like they are happy and a lot of fun too. Well done guys, well done.

Good choice. Looks cute yet fierce. We have a German Shepherd and I don't doubt for one second that she would put her life on the line for my wife and I. I would not want to be on the receiving end of her bite! She hasn't eaten anyone yet, just licks them to death so far. I think you made a fine choice!
    "The sheep hate the sheepdog almost as much as the wolf until a wolf shows up."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    Rescues and shelter dogs are the way to go unless you plan on breeding the good puppy dog.

Here's my rescue GSD at 2.5 yrs old enjoying his "Tacticool" cooling device:

While I would really like for folks to take rescue or shelter dogs, I have not had good luck with them. Usually, by the time I find the dog it has been traumatized by its idiot previous owner, the animal control officer, a couple of days of wandering around without food and maybe little water, the noisy - smelly environment of the shelter, the repeated handling by potential adopters, and often by a required spay or neuter. One shelter dog I got wouldn't eat for several days except to be hand fed in tiny amounts. She never bonded and though I had her for 7 years, she just wouldn't get close emotionally. Another had something wrong with her and had to go back (no doubt for euthanasia) 4 weeks later.

The best dogs I have had were older dogs that had a home and the owner put an add asking to sell the dog. My all time favorite dog just took one look at us, jumped in the car, and never gave his prior owner another thought. One of my present dogs was also acquired from someone who realized she was just too busy to properly care for the dog and ran an add in the paper. At least the dog was never neglected and treated badly.

I once found a sick German Shepard on the side of the road and took it home hoping to nurse it and get medical care for it. That dog would have turned out great and wonderful but Mrs H didn't want it ---so off to the "shelter" it went. Poor thing.

Maybe its just our shelter. It is really badly overcrowded, and they charge way too much for a place that should be looking to give dogs away--also they put too many "demands" on the new owner. Sign this, swear that, do this do that under penalty of one kind or another. Who needs that kind of treatment. Our city and county just don't want to coordinate and spend some bucks to make the place really good. Turns my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    While I would really like for folks to take rescue or shelter dogs, I have not had good luck with them. Usually, by the time I find the dog it has been traumatized by its idiot previous owner, the animal control officer, a couple of days of wandering around without food and maybe little water, the noisy - smelly environment of the shelter, the repeated handling by potential adopters, and often by a required spay or neuter. One shelter dog I got wouldn't eat for several days except to be hand fed in tiny amounts. She never bonded and though I had her for 7 years, she just wouldn't get close emotionally. Another had something wrong with her and had to go back (no doubt for euthanasia) 4 weeks later.

The best dogs I have had were older dogs that had a home and the owner put an add asking to sell the dog. My all time favorite dog just took one look at us, jumped in the car, and never gave his prior owner another thought. One of my present dogs was also acquired from someone who realized she was just too busy to properly care for the dog and ran an add in the paper. At least the dog was never neglected and treated badly.

I once found a sick German Shepard on the side of the road and took it home hoping to nurse it and get medical care for it. That dog would have turned out great and wonderful but Mrs H didn't want it ---so off to the "shelter" it went. Poor thing.

Maybe its just our shelter. It is really badly overcrowded, and they charge way too much for a place that should be looking to give dogs away--also they put too many "demands" on the new owner. Sign this, swear that, do this do that under penalty of one kind or another. Who needs that kind of treatment. Our city and county just don't want to coordinate and spend some bucks to make the place really good. Turns my stomach.
    Luckily, my rescue GSD was only 10 weeks old. Some meth-head in East Texas decided to throw a litter into the lake in a sealed box before a good samaritan pulled them out. 3 of the 6 had drowned, and two of the remaining 3 had multiple fractures from abuse. Another kind soul picked up the vet bills for all of them, and Fritz (in the pool) came home with us. He's been fantastic and shows no signs of being traumatized.

I can certainly understand the issues that many older rescue dogs have, and it often takes a special situation to bring them out the other side.

Cheers
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links