Curiosity question... Passenger driving by shines red laser at you.

This is a discussion on Curiosity question... Passenger driving by shines red laser at you. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An on-duty cop would treat this differently than someone standing outside having a smoke, I'm sure. In the OP's situation, I'd get out of harm's ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curiosity question... Passenger driving by shines red laser at you.

An on-duty cop would treat this differently than someone standing outside having a smoke, I'm sure.
    In the OP's situation, I'd get out of harm's way, call 911 and identify the moron's vehicle.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Good question and conversation, thank you.

I would probably move immediately to the side, look for cover of some type and collect my thoughts, go from there.

I'd use the light to ID the target, I don't see how anyone could fault you for that. As others have said I'd assume the light was attacted to a firearm and react acordingly

I actually had something like this happening to me at the last apartment I lived in. A resident across the parking lot in another building was shinning his laser into my living room while my girlfriend and I were watching a movie. I crept over to the second window on that wall and identified where the laser was coming from. The next morning I reported it to the office and they said they would talk to them. Two nights later and what do I see on my wall again, that d*mn laser! At this point I know its not a threat, its just irritating. I know its just a couple kids doing it so I decide I'm going to give them a little surprise. I took the only flashlight I have, a fenix pd20, and walk over to the window they had been shining the laser out of. I waited patiently, about 5 minutes, until they shined the laser at my apartment again. As soon as they did I lifted my flashlight and and strobed them with everything the pd20 would put out. That was the last time a laser was shined into my apartment.

I'd say light them up!
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I having another margarita. Life's too short to worry about some kid and his laser. Life has its own way of taking care of idiots.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If the laser is not a threat, then how could the flashlight be considered one? If the flashlight is not a threat then is it escalating the situation? I would say no. The situation was started by laser guy. Responding in kind may extend the situation, but not escalate it. What happens next is in their court. I'm not of the opinion that CC makes me unable to do, say, feel, or act. If someone reacts negatively then it's on them. As long as I am not over reacting then what's the problem? If you feel the need to never respond to anything obnoxious that anyone ever does then fine for you. I don't see the sense in letting people do dumb things to you without a response. It just encourages it IMO. If they want to fly off the handle when they are responded to in kind, then may have some serious consequences to deal with. I'm just not of the opinion that ignoring something will make it go away.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I am of the opinion that you must assume the laser is attached to a firearm until proven otherwise. As someone else stated, in many states it's illegal to shine a laser at people in a menacing way. Like others have said, it may be legal to own a laser, but what you do with that laser may in fact be violating the law to some degree. Either misdemeanor or possibly a felony.

Yeah, it's likely a laser pointer for some kids playing around... but as the one police officer found out. Not always! Nearly cost him his life too!

Shine a laser at me and I may draw down on you. Using your high intensity flashlight to identify and possibly disorient a possible drive by shooter would not be considered escalating the situation as far as the law goes. It might be considered escalating it to a potential gang banger, so be prepared to respond accordingly.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Using a flashlight would only be attempting to identify a possible threat.

Temporary blindness of the laser holder would be gravy.

Don't forget to get off the x when you do light them up just in case the worse comes to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    It might be considered escalating it to a potential gang banger, so be prepared to respond accordingly.
    First, thanks to everyone that responded. I enjoyed reading them and enjoyed learning even more from them. I've never had someone randomly point a red laser at me.

To: Bark'n. I knew there where at least 4 of them in the truck and while I could have made a quick retreat into the apartment building I felt that things could get out of hand if I did light them up. I did not feel threatened by the laser when it happened because I figured it was just a stupid kid and nothing more but my perception has been forever changed thanks to yall.

TVJ
    I fail to see a legal issue with you returning photons and lighting the jerk up with your surefire to determine your safety.

If they escalate, THEY escalate.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Take cover 1st and foremost, try to identify the car (if that involved lighting it up, so be it), and call 911. They can determine the true level of threat or if a crime was committed.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Speaking as a technical guy who has used lasers, I fail to see what the big deal is with having a laser directed at you unless you are in the cockpit of an aircraft, and then, only if you are using night vision equipment.

Laser pointers such as those sold as novelties or at office supply stores are extremely low power and would have to be directed at a single point on your cornea for tens of hours to have a remote chance of causing you any physical damage. Basically, if it's small enough to hold in your hand (i.e., battery operated - caution warnings notwithstanding) it does not have sufficient power to cause you harm.

For every laser mounted on a firearm there are probably 5000 that are not. To immediately leap to the conclusion that a laser beaming at you constitutes a lethal threat strikes me as a serious over-reaction.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

gasmitty,

While it may indeed be a handheld laser pointer, until proven otherwise I will treat it as a very likely threat. That does not mean that I shoot back yet, as I have not determined if it is in fact a threat. That simply means that I continue to ascertain if it is a threat by moving to cover and using my handheld light to better illuminate that which I am trying to see.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Inccwchris: No offense taken on your disagreement. I certainly understand those who disagree with my point of view, which comes down to my doing anything, while CCW, will only happen if all avoidance options have been taken and do not eliminate the problem, and my imminent peril of death or great bodily injury is clear and unmistakeable---a laser, although a precursor to a possible weapon, does not fall into that category and the idea that initial comments would respond with a high intensity light confirms the opinion that the laser is not an immediate threat---the light is NOT protecting you---it is being aimed at an idiot moron and is provocative. Nice to have legitimate and courteous discussions. Be safe my brother.

I said in my first post i would respond as if I saw a weapon; I left it open ended because there are an almost infinite number of situations, it does not mean draw and fire; move to cover, move opposite of vehicle travel direction.....and yes maybe draw depending on totality of the situation.

Those that say they would blow it off should work behind a gun shop/indoor range counter for a few months and experience what the bangers come in with and looking for, and "da beam" is high on the list. I have seen way too many High Points with lasers on them to brush it off. I had one "gentleman" come in with a gold anodized Desert Eagle 50 AE wanting a laser for it. Watching them on the range, gun held above their heads, turned horizontal thinking their "beam" will magically put holes in X ring as they spray and pray does give some comfort.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links