Curiosity question... Passenger driving by shines red laser at you.

This is a discussion on Curiosity question... Passenger driving by shines red laser at you. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rivers I'm not positive but in CA, using a laser like that is at least a misdemeanor, possibly a felony. I know ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curiosity question... Passenger driving by shines red laser at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    I'm not positive but in CA, using a laser like that is at least a misdemeanor, possibly a felony. I know of a few instances of idiots lighting up helicopters and planes in flight have resulted in jail time. Considering the permanent damage that a red laser can do, I don't think playing "light me up" games is prudent.
    Not that I disagree with the sentiment, but what kind of "damage" are we talking about? Your average laser pointer/laser sight can cause nothing more than temporary vision problems if you shine it in someone's eye just at the right angle. Now there are some higher-powered lasers in blue and green wavelengths that cost a few hundred that can cause minor to serious burning, but only with extended exposure to one area for a few seconds.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    if a laser is shined at you i would expect that even if you have an inkling that it could be attached to a firearm your first move would be out of its way to a location where the user has no angle on you or to cover of some sort...screw the flashlight...i dont consider the flashlight escalating...i consider it a waste of time....if the laser is firearm mounted it will probably be followed by a single or multiple loud reports...

move and get a plate number to report...it used to be a game...today its a more serious matter...

as far as drawing on it goes youre gonna have a real time explaining to the police why you took down a 6 year old playing with his fathers pointer...i would rather the father had to explain to an officer how his kid got his hands on the pointer and was allowed to shine it on people throught the window...or else an adult has some explaining t do...it is considered a terrorist act on aircraft...it may not be taken lightly coming from an automobile...

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    If I had done so and they stopped would I have been the person that escalated it to the next level?
    Yes, definitely.

Your response may have been exactly what they wanted....so why do it? You were smart to just let it pass and not engage them any further.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

A similar thing happened to me about five years ago. It was dark and I was at home watching t.v. I heard a loud "thunk" on the living room picture window. It sounded like someone threw a snowball at the window, but at night? I looked out the window into the dark and I saw a red laser beam shining back at me. The house lights went off and I grabbed my 1911 and my FAL and headed out the back door. By the time I got around to the front, the person was gone. I automatically assumed that the laser was attached to a weapon.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Not that I disagree with the sentiment, but what kind of "damage" are we talking about? Your average laser pointer/laser sight can cause nothing more than temporary vision problems if you shine it in someone's eye just at the right angle. Now there are some higher-powered lasers in blue and green wavelengths that cost a few hundred that can cause minor to serious burning, but only with extended exposure to one area for a few seconds.
    with stronger lasers it takes less than a few seconds for vision damage.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Yes, definitely.

Your response may have been exactly what they wanted....so why do it? You were smart to just let it pass and not engage them any further.
    Unless what they wanted....was to shoot you...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    5 Milliwatts is the maximum legal power limit for lasers sold over the counter. A laser pointer is usually <= 1 mW and is a class II product. Laser pointers for firearm targeting usually has a peak power output =5 mW or <5 mW and is a Class IIIa product. All lasers can be harmful if used incorrectly. Shining a 1 mW laser directly into a persons eye can cause a spot on the retina, (not the cornea) although it won't blind a person.

Shining a laser at an aircraft can be dangerous. The reason is not that you might put the pilots eye out but because as the laser beam travels, it spreads out. If it hits an aircraft cockpit window while the plane or helicopter is taking off or landing, the light is diffracted by the glass and can fill the cockpit with glare on the controls.

The reason it is illegal to point a laser at LE in some states is because they are trained to react to threats perceived or real. It does not matter if you paint a cop with a laser or point a toy gun at them.

A green laser is no more powerful than a red laser. <=5 mW is still the maximum legal power output. A green laser beam's light intensity is greater so is easier to see in daylight.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

If I had done so and they stopped would I have been the person that escalated it to the next level?
    Yes, I would think so. My logic:

1. They shined a light into your eyes.
    2. As penalty, you shined a light into theirs.
    3. The risk is that of a traffic accident/crash, risk to others in the area because of it, and possibly eye problems with the laser.
    4. Deliberately shining that bright of something into someone's eyes as penalty would be deliberately trying to blind them. Imagine if something then happened ... whether that's an accident/crash or them stopping to deal with the situation of having been penalized.

Now, if we're speaking of a normal reaction to a normal situation (ie, use of a horn to get someone's attention at a stoplight), that's one thing. But we're speaking of penalties levied for having done something, and a penalty that itself introduces risk and escalation. That's not right for the same reason that beating on someone because they didn't like being "dissed" is classified as assault and battery. Deliberate dishing up of a "penalty" response would be like using fighting words to provoke someone into assault and battery, instead of them illegally taking that step all on their own because of blown synaptic circuitry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Due to the housing situation near impossible at the house (4 of 5 on dead end rural private drive) but the town I live just outside of is getting real bad; if in town and someone shines a laser at me I'm reacting as if I've seen a weapon, to do otherwise is to tempt the Grim Reaper.

I worked at a gun shop in town before coming over here, all the little bangers wanted lasers for their High Points.
    Lol wouldnt most handgun lasers worth more then a highpoint?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

I don't think that's entirely accurate. Some of the higher wattage HANDHELD units that are pushing the full 1 WATT mark don't need a few seconds of extended exposure. It's immediate. IE by the time you see it, the damage is done.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    Lol wouldnt most handgun lasers worth more then a highpoint?
    High Point makes one for their guns ~ $20, you need to slum more, not all weapon lasers are $300+

Quote Originally Posted by merlin82plus View Post
    An on-duty cop would treat this differently than someone standing outside having a smoke, I'm sure.
    In the OP's situation, I'd get out of harm's way, call 911 and identify the moron's vehicle.

Finally! You and Hopyard seem to be thinking the same as myself...MOVE first! Then ID. By the time you've got your light up..which they might think is a gun before they clearly see it...(which they wont once you turn it on & then they can assume it's attached to a gun)....they can pull a trigger.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member
    California Penal Code:
    417.25. (a) Every person who, except in self-defense, aims or
    points a laser scope, as defined in subdivision (b), or a laser
    pointer, as defined in subdivision (c), at another person in a
    threatening manner with the specific intent to cause a reasonable
    person fear of bodily harm is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by
    imprisonment in a county jail for up to 30 days. For purposes of this
    section, the laser scope need not be attached to a firearm.
    (b) As used in this section, "laser scope" means a portable
    battery-powered device capable of being attached to a firearm and
    capable of projecting a laser light on objects at a distance.
    (c) As used in this section, "laser pointer" means any hand held
    laser beam device or demonstration laser product that emits a single
    point of light amplified by the stimulated emission of radiation that
    is visible to the human eye.

417.26. (a) Any person who aims or points a laser scope as defined
    in subdivision (b) of Section 417.25, or a laser pointer, as defined
    in subdivision (c) of that section, at a peace officer with the
    specific intent to cause the officer apprehension or fear of bodily
    harm and who knows or reasonably should know that the person at whom
    he or she is aiming or pointing is a peace officer, is guilty of a
    misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for a term
    not exceeding six months.
    (b) Any person who commits a second or subsequent violation of
    subdivision (a) shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail
    for not more than one year.

417.27. ...
    (c) No person shall direct the beam from a laser pointer directly
    or indirectly into the eye or eyes of another person or into a moving
    vehicle with the intent to harass or annoy the other person or the
    occupants of the moving vehicle.
    (e) A violation of subdivision (a), (b), (c), or (d) shall be an
    infraction that is punished by either a fine of fifty dollars ($50)
    or four hours of community service, and a second or subsequent
    violation of any of these subdivisions shall be an infraction that is
    punished by either a fine of one hundred dollars ($100) or eight
    hours of community service....
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    .MOVE first! Then ID. By the time you've got your light up..which they might think is a gun before they clearly see it...(which they wont once you turn it on & then they can assume it's attached to a gun)....they can pull a trigger.
    If I was going to ID I could not have moved. I was standing on stairs with railings on both sides. As for getting my Surefire on them quickly would not have been a problem. It was already pointed in his direction. It was just a matter of my thumb placing a tad bit of pressure on the rear of the light and yes, my thumb was already there. I could have let out a very quick burst and that is all I would have needed to see what he really was holding. I could have made a quick retreat if they had stopped and been behind a locked door and up a flight of stairs before they even reached where I was standing.

Once again a thank you to those that have responded. I've enjoyed reading each and every response.

If I was going to ID I could not have moved. I was standing on stairs with railings on both sides. As for getting my Surefire on them quickly would not have been a problem. It was already pointed in his direction. It was just a matter of my thumb placing a tad bit of pressure on the rear of the light and yes, my thumb was already there. I could have let out a very quick burst and that is all I would have needed to see what he really was holding. I could have made a quick retreat if they had stopped and been behind a locked door and up a flight of stairs before they even reached where I was standing.

Once again a thank you to those that have responded. I've enjoyed reading each and every response.
    All good points.

However...all they needed to do was shoot at the light...if that was their intent. That's just why I'd move first and worry about anything else next.

Good scenario, thanks.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links