Curiosity question... Passenger driving by shines red laser at you.

This is a discussion on Curiosity question... Passenger driving by shines red laser at you. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was standing outside on the stairs not long ago having a smoke. Well some idiot in the back seat of this truck decided to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curiosity question... Passenger driving by shines red laser at you.

I was standing outside on the stairs not long ago having a smoke. Well some idiot in the back seat of this truck decided to shine his red laser at me.

I'm holding in my left hand my Surefire and at 110 lumens I could have easily lit up this idiot and blinded him for a few seconds. I did not but here is the question.

If I had done so and they stopped would I have been the person that escalated it to the next level?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I was standing outside on the stairs not long ago having a smoke. Well some idiot in the back seat of this truck decided to shine his red laser at me.

I'm holding in my left hand my Surefire and at 110 lumens I could have easily lit up this idiot and blinded him for a few seconds. I did not but here is the question.

If I had done so and they stopped would I have been the person that escalated it to the next level?
    That's a tough one. Interesting, too. I'm anxious to see what others have to say.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I don't think so. Pistol lasers are extemely common these days and to make that assumption I would think would be a just cause to light the fella up to see if he had a gun and react accodingly(in this case retreating and calling 911 more than likely) or just some punk trying to be a smartass.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

I'm not positive but in CA, using a laser like that is at least a misdemeanor, possibly a felony. I know of a few instances of idiots lighting up helicopters and planes in flight have resulted in jail time. Considering the permanent damage that a red laser can do, I don't think playing "light me up" games is prudent.

VIP Member
    In some places doing just that with a laser is a crime and I honestly dont remember if it is in Arkansas or not. I personally would feel threatened wondering what, if anything, the laser was attached to.
    To me lighting him up is showing good judgement by attempting to identify whether or not there is a threat. Dont really think that it would be considered escalating the situation since you on your own property and, depending on the state, have no obligation to retreat.

If you point a laser at me, given my knowledge and training, I'm inclined to believe it is most likely attatched to a firearm.

If you were to shine your flashlight at them I fail to see how that is escalating the situation. The light is being used to determine what the extent of the threat is and identify those placing you in danger. If someone is dumb enough to point a laser at people, well you know what they say about walking like a duck, looking like a duck, and sounding like a duck during duck season.

Like someone else says, "You can't fix stupid." If you are stupid enough to point a laser at someone don't be suprised if you get shot.

Biker

No.........lasers are illegal now in most states. Dial 911 and report it. THAT would be taking it to the next level.
    I've had kids do the laser thing on my vehicle while I was driving down the road. Luckily I knew their parents and called them first and let them know I was ready to press charges. Kids screwing around is somewhat understandable to me even though I was ready to take someone out for the display through my truck windows and into my eyes.. Your circumstances are likely different.

It is not illegal to own a laser, but what you do with it may very well be illegal. College professors still use those little red lasers. Cat owners still use those red lasers. My dad has a device for bore-sighting that projects a powerful red laser. So, they are still legal to own.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Flash 110 lumens back to identify, and call 911.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    light em up, hand moving towards weapon to draw and fire if need be, had a guy shine one of those into a friend of mines patrol car one time, my buddy ignored it then his window imploded, needless to say he thought it was just a kid with a laser, turned out to be attached to a druggies gun. You cannot just ignore those things because the next thing on your chest might soon be a bullet wound if you do not act quickly. At work we are told to treat someone shining a laser on us during a contact like they are armed until proven otherwise

btw, my buddy was perfectly fine, and they did arrest that guy for attempted murder of a police officer and some other stuff
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Due to the housing situation near impossible at the house (4 of 5 on dead end rural private drive) but the town I live just outside of is getting real bad; if in town and someone shines a laser at me I'm reacting as if I've seen a weapon, to do otherwise is to tempt the Grim Reaper.

I worked at a gun shop in town before coming over here, all the little bangers wanted lasers for their High Points.

VIP Member
    There are federal laws pending that would prohibit a person from shining a laser beam into the cockpit of an airplane or helicopter. Several states have their own laws against pointing lasers at aircraft or at law enforcement vehicles. There are even some local jurisdictions that have proposed outlawing laser pointers because of safety concerns and the fact that they can be a nuisance.

There are no such laws or concerns regarding flashlights no matter how powerful.

http://www.laserpointersafety.com/ru...ws/uslaws.html
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey WhoWeBePart1: In short, IMO, the answer to your question is "YES". Depends a lot on state laws but a laser, IMO again, does not rise to level of presumption of imminent danger of death or great bodily injury and if he stops and something else happens because you decided to "get even", you tell me who escalated the situation--your question, in and of itself, is begging for an answer you really do not want to hear. Just sayin. The one drawback to CCW, IMO, is the fact that your responsibilities have now been raised to a level where you literally should be able to accept moronic garbage from literally everyone and anyone and be able to turn away---it isn't easy with idiots out there like your "laser pal" and the other morons out there who have nothing better to do with their miserable lives than to try and make your life miserable as well.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    kelcarry, there is nothing escalating or provoking about shining a light on someone who shines a laser at you, weapon mounted or not, the perp started the confrontation by shining that light, and I darn well will make sure it is just a laser, if that involves lighting someone up so be it. If they take offense, and come back to assault me, I am confident I can articulate my point of view to a jury if I need to shoot. I saw a laser light pointed at me, I shined my light to verify if it was weapon mounted or not, The guy with the laser then came at me and swore he was going to kill me, he drew a knife/gun/was bigger than me/etc etc and I feared greatly that he was going to kill me, so I shot to stop the threat. Point is, once the encounter starts, it should be you that ends it, period, either by determining there is no threat, or by ending the threat that appears. It wouldn't be a matter of getting even, it would be identifying a potential assaulter. Sorry if I came across as rude, I feel strongly about my point of view, I can definitively see where you are coming from, but I disagree with you. No hard feelings
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Maybe I'm too mellow, but unless there were something more going on to indicate a true threat I'd simply ignore it.

Things to quickly determine: 1) was it kids playing; 2) was it accidental; 3) was it dumb jokers fooling around; 4) was it a pen, a tool of some sort like a laser level, was it a sight. A laser pointed onto something other than your eyes should leave you with plenty of visual and auditory input to assess what threat if any exists. My reaction would be to mutter under my breath, "idiots" and keep on keeping on. I wouldn't even dial 911. Now, if the car were filled with thugs and thug wannabes, I'd try to move to safety, but likely they're driving on and not stopping. Someone intent on actually pulling the trigger would have done so when they lit me up and there is precious little I could have done at that instant to protect myself.
    Last edited by Hopyard; September 6th, 2010 at 12:32 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links