A different CCW tactical question.

This is a discussion on A different CCW tactical question. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had great luck with dogs by giving them a very sharp, very load 'BAD DOG' - the ones that have any training at all ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A different CCW tactical question.

I've had great luck with dogs by giving them a very sharp, very load 'BAD DOG' - the ones that have any training at all drop their ears and tails and stop to think about the situation. The ones that don't need a dose of special training - they are a genuine threat to life and limb!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I am a dog person, raised, trained and still have dogs. Raised sheep dogs (we had 40-60 at any given moment on the sheep ranch) and was around other sheep ranchers dogs

Rules that I learned over the years:

-Don't trust them.
    -Don't turn your back on them. (it is a sign of weakness to dogs)
    -Stand your ground, but don't advance on them.
    -Don't make any quick moves.
    -Look them right in the face. Anything else is submissive in dog language (This is contrary to many of the experts, so take it for what you think it is worth)
    -Look as large and as mean as you can.

At this point, back away slowly and if they advance with you stand your ground for a while then try again in a moment. Repeat until away from them or until you have to shoot it.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

i am not a 'dog person', actually i'm a 'cat' person. it's an independence thing, but i have always been the center of two or more neighbors that had at least one dog. always have, luck of the draw or something, and i will tell you it's true. if you act like you belong there, or you aren't afraid, the dog actually second guesses itself. show your in command. now if it's the jumping the fence thing and on government property (sidewalk or further) then it's lack of owner control and your self defence. teeth, no teeth, back flips, whatever. figuring out if that dog is vicious or not leaves no time to remove it's jaws from your limbs. i'll take that chance legally when it comes to signing forms from a lawyer with my legible hand instead of a stump.

Administrator
    I'm a dog guy. Heres what I've notice with my dogs, and found it true working.
    When a dog is advancing towards you, if he keeps low and covers ground quickly, pucker up youíre going to get bit. Dogs generally donít bark when chasing their quarry. They bark as a warning and as a bluff. A good way to avoid his attack is to slow your speed just before he reaches you or a sudden change of direction works too. This messes up his drive and re directs the momentum of the attack. If he does connect with you, it will be much less powerful.
    If he puffs up and kind of bounces as he barks, he's bluffing. Teeth, hair raised etc., it doesnít matter. Thatís the way dogs bluff each other. That doesnít mean he wont bite if you advance on him, it just means that he will not engage you unless you one up.

When can you shoot? When itís apparent that you are going to get bit. Make sure you are not in the dogís yard, and the dog and his owner are in the wrong. Otherwise youíre going to have to answer some questions you donít want to be asked. Be careful though, shooting a dog is no easy task.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I work as a Process Server and have had litigants come close to actually putting their dog on me, in addition to the usual fenced barkers. A lot of diplomatic skills have kept me safe to this point, but I'm getting old and can't run worth a damn anymore. I love dogs and respect folks who use them to help protect their homes, so I'd probably get bit before going lethal. I'm getting some Fox 5.3. . The only dog I'd feel compelled to put down with a handgun would be the gangsta' style pit who probably deserves to be at room temperature just like his master.
    Last edited by LegalMonkey; February 3rd, 2007 at 03:39 AM.

I have a memory I'd like to relate.

I can recall being about 5 or 6 years old and playing in my front yard with my mother overseeing me. A woman came down the street walking a rather large black dog off a leash (of course). Seeing unfamiliar humans the dog darted over towards me intent of unknown status. My vigilant mother simultaneously scooped me backwards with one hand and with the other hand brought down a garden rake like the hammer of justice upon the behemoth beast. Luckily it's injuries were restrained to a bloodied nose a few bruises and some whimpering.

Unfortunately, the local woman was not amused and proceeded to berate my mother. "How DARE my mother do that to her (insert your choice of stupid pet name here), she wouldn't hurt a fly and my mother had clearly over reacted and had mishandled the problem"

Now my mother (who is quite the hothead) took about 45 seconds of this, stood in the woman's face and said something along the lines of :

"Look lady..when your dog is with you it's your problem and you can do whatever the *$!@ you want with it, but if it comes within 10 feet of me or my kid...then it's my problem..and I'll handle my own problems however the hell I please"

Now...my mother's angry words could have provoked a fight and put her in deep trouble that day. Luckily, they did not. Nevertheless I try to apply this reasoning to dogs to this day.

If you are unable to keep your dog within the confines of your general vicinity or on your property then you need to accept that other people may not be as concerned about your dog as you are. They are probably more concerned with making sure they don't end up having to be vaccinated for rabies or have re-constructive surgery performed on their child.

As much as I love my dog, if he escaped my yard and charged another human being I would place MYSELF at fault for anything that happened to my beloved canine.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Dogs are a strange subject. I had a bad experience with some rottenweilers ten or eleven years ago. They (along with some other breeds, like pit bulls) are subject to my "shoot on sight" if in my yard policy.

OTOH, my ex-wife had a black lab (actually before the divorce she bought the dog with the proceeds of an insurance check that I had received to fix my Yukon following a little fender-bender- the check disappeared, the dog appeared, and the Yukon remained unfixed until I traded it in a couple of years ago. I had started to train the lab for huntin', but my daughters got a hold of it....and it became a house dog and pet).

Back to the story. This lab was the sweetest animal alive. There could not have been a better dog for kids- they could (and did) do anything to it, and it didn't care. They rode it, they fell on it, they fed it mustard, they chased it, they hit it with pool noodles, they took its food while it was eating, etc. It reacted by licking them ever more vigorously and ever more sloppily.

It barked like thunder (at anything, everything and, quite often, nothing) and it was in need of ritalin, in a big way.

One day (after the divorce- I don't remember why I was there), I saw that dog get out of the house (it loved to jet out of the door- whether the door was open or closed- it loved to jet out of windows, too) when it saw something that interested it (and often for no apparent reason at all).

Anyway, ole' Maggie Dawg shoots out of the house at mach 2, barking all the way. She looked and sounded like a black freight train.

She comes right up to some guy and his wife walking the neighborhood with a baby carriage.

The dude (not altogether unreasonably) pretty much goes berserk.

IMHO, he probably could have shot the dog justifiably, at least for a moment, until it became clear (which it did pretty quickly) that the dog was just there to sniff, spaz a little bit, and run back to the house.

Shooting that dog would have been unnecessary...

But you just never know with dogs. You just never know.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I have a little experience with dogs, and I would not want to try to shoot one. I'd feel more comfortable defending myself with a good sized knife, or even my bare hands. When we train with knives, we use the phrase "you might cut me, but I will kill you" and with dogs I'm confident that "it might bite me, but I will kill it."
    When it comes to children, I would not hesistate to use any force I had nearby to kill a dog in their defense.
    As for myself, I'm ready with a swift kick, a head lock, eye gouges, a larynx removal perhaps - but dogs are awful quick to be shooting at, especially when you take into consideration it would probably be in a residential area.
    my .02

me
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I have a little experience with dogs, and I would not want to try to shoot one. I'd feel more comfortable defending myself with a good sized knife, or even my bare hands. When we train with knives, we use the phrase "you might cut me, but I will kill you" and with dogs I'm confident that "it might bite me, but I will kill it."
    I respectfully urge youto reconsider, Yes the dog is fast and hard to track but, some will instantly go for the throat and kill you beforeyou get the chance to kill them. With these Dogs you are looking for IMO at a mutual kill.
    I would rather shoot or spray a dog then kill it but if it is coming at me and appearing to want to eat me, it will DIE. I am a dog lover and have yet to meet a dog I do not like but if needed I will shoot the dog.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I'm Quite Comfortable Around Most Dogs...

I have two now...one is 125#'s (Rhodesian Ridgeback). He is seldom outside, and when outside...I'm with him.

There are a lot of dogs in our neighborhood, but I have never had a second thought about any of them...then I also think that dogs can sense your fear.

I've had owners say, "He's not real friendly...", "Hey, I guess he likes you..."

I wouldn't not want to shoot a dog, but I am more weary of a pack, than a single dog...I will protect myself if the need arises though...I'm probably more tolerant of most canines than a lot of people.

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I sure don't know Ranger but I'd be totally on your side if that dog had jumped the second fence and you had capped him!

I'm a dog lover but NOT dog food!
    Amen to that!

That beeing said you should shoot the owner of a loose running dog because it's not the dogs fault that his owner isn't responsible enough to keep is dog in his yard. yea, i know i'm dreaming but i'm sick of all the stupidity i see going on around me everyday.
    "Only hits count."
    Jeff Cooper

Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links