You're in the car, man points gun at you.

This is a discussion on You're in the car, man points gun at you. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Toss the wallet his direction with weak hand, so that it lands behind him. When he turns around and bends over, or just tracks the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You're in the car, man points gun at you.

Toss the wallet his direction with weak hand, so that it lands behind him. When he turns around and bends over, or just tracks the wallet as it flies past, is your chance to draw and fire.

2. Remove Ads

The only problem I have with that, is that if you have a cranky crook he just might bust a cap or two in you for being a SA.

Instead of tossing it and ******* him off, I would use nervousness to my advantage and as I was handing the wallet to the BG I would let it fall before he had a grasp of it....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

If the guy was about 5-10 ft away from the car, and if i had family in the car i would prob scream to have them duck while i slam on the gas and run the guy over... But thats prob not the smartest thing to do... I would most likely toss him the wallet, i havnt been shooting handguns for a time since im fairly new to it and im not risking getting shot or any of my family.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

VIP Member
    This thread is just a District Attorney's dream.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, this interwebs post will show that the defendant had planned to ambush ANY criminal that crossed his path. He was itching for a gunfight and he did not care if his sister(mother, girlfriend,etc) was present. Such is his thirst for blood. He is a danger to Society. Would you like to be sitting next to him at the local ice cream parlor? Of Course Not!

Average Self Defense trial will cost you somewhere around low six figures with no guarantee that you will be found Not Guilty. Tell me again how much you are carrying in your wallet?
    Give the wallet......If the guy leaves, let him go... if he wants to get more funky, then proceed with what you need to have done.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You've sucessfully defended yourself, but at what costs? The act almost got 4 people killed for a few bucks and replaceable credit cards? Make a decisioin--live with the consequences. One BG down; three victims in the hospital.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

This, as most scenarios revolve around tactics and responses, if they are deemed necessary, not the reasons for same.

"The defendant was well aware of the increasing trend of criminals to assault an/or kill their victims, even when submissive to the criminal's demands. It was therefor, the intent of the defendant to protect his family members and himself from great bodily injury or death in a criminal encounter, that was why he preplanned and practiced responses to criminal encounters."

Señor Gloves,

I don't think what you suggested for a response would be possible (after my elaboration)... but the POV is difficult in a text... So, your resonse is plausible in a similar situation.

I'm afraid I gotta go with "pay the stupid tax" on this one... The driver painted himself into the corner.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Sir,
    It is not the "stupid tax" that I object to. It is placing the well being of my family members or my self at the discression of an armed criminal. I have very little confidence in their benevolence, based on many years of interaction with them.
    While I would not find fault with someone who chose to comply without resistance, it would probably not be my choice.

ETA: If my response was unrealistic due to my misinterepretation of the players positions, etc, then it would be invalid, but my mindset would remain unchanged .

Your mindset is certainly valid, perhaps distraction/dropping the wallet would give opportunity to respond with force... But that's the only way I see it as my POV of the scenario has the BG too far behind and outside the window to effect the deflecting move you suggest.

OTOH if I'm between two cars, and I give him the wallet, and my vehicle is running; once he moves/looks into the wallet, I can crush him between my vehicle and the one on his back.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    This, as most scenarios revolve around tactics and responses, if they are deemed necessary, not the reasons for same.

"The defendant was well aware of the increasing trend of criminals to assault an/or kill their victims, even when submissive to the criminal's demands. It was therefor, the intent of the defendant to protect his family members and himself from great bodily injury or death in a criminal encounter, that was why he preplanned and practiced responses to criminal encounters."
    One thing is pre-planning, the other is discussing how you should cap the guy after you were condition white and got the drop on you. It can be interpreted by a JURY (and no of your peers. no shooter will be in it, the DA will make sure of that) as premeditation.

As said by somebody: "pay the stupid tax"
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I think the really important thing is the open discussion of likely scenarios and possible actions. Cultivating the ability to create realistic solutions is a valuable asset in the world we live in and the sounding board of others can reveal flaws in those solutions. I see very little down side.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    One thing is pre-planning, the other is discussing how you should cap the guy after you were condition white and got the drop on you. It can be interpreted by a JURY (and no of your peers. no shooter will be in it, the DA will make sure of that) as premeditation.

** How you should "cap the guy", is merely part of the tactical planning. I would suggest that the composition of the jury will depend to a significant degree on your location.

As said by somebody: "pay the stupid tax"
    As I stated, it is not the "stupid tax" that I am opposed to.

Senior Moderator
    I would give up the wallet, write off the $20 in it and cancel my credit card.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I would give up the wallet, write off the $20 in it and cancel my credit card.
    That would be well and good, "if" he did not take the wallet, then put multiple holes in you and your relatives.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links