You're in the car, man points gun at you.

This is a discussion on You're in the car, man points gun at you. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If he is behind me, then he has the advantage, if I move then he will most likely put holes in my relatives. If he ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You're in the car, man points gun at you.

Senior Moderator
    If he is behind me, then he has the advantage, if I move then he will most likely put holes in my relatives.

If he has the wallet then maybe he will leave if not then I will take what actions I can to protect my family.

If I can I would simply drive away first
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

To a large extent, I agree.
    My point is that irrespective of circumstances, I will attempt to gain and edge and take advantage of that edge to end the treat to my family and/or myself rather than blind obedience to the criminal, thereby relying on his benevolence to insure the safety of family and self.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I would give up the wallet! but it does depend on the A&*holes reactions if as he grabs the wallet he still looks threatening if he is catching a case of death. If he looks like he is all business and wants money only oh well take it. if he is super jittery and looks like he might shoot anyway I am shooting first and praying that 7+1 230JHP .45 ammo stops the collateral damage. There are too many factors to just chose what too do. Is the gun on safety? is his finger on the trigger?
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I would give up the wallet! but it does depend on the A&*holes reactions if as he grabs the wallet he still looks threatening if he is catching a case of death. If he looks like he is all business and wants money only oh well take it. if he is super jittery and looks like he might shoot anyway I am shooting first and praying that 7+1 230JHP .45 ammo stops the collateral damage. There are too many factors to just chose what too do. Is the gun on safety? is his finger on the trigger?
    good points, all.. And as Guantes has said.. not a bad idea to pre-think and discuss these scenarios a bit... it's not a pretty world out there any more... and, if something bad happens, maybe a discussion here comes to mind, and gives us that aha moment... the one that saves our bacon.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

First thing that comes to mind is Hood ornament......
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

For those in the "give him the wallet" camp...it seems the assumption is made that once the BG has the wallet, he will leave without firing a shot...

For me, I need more information.

Options for me (in no particular order):
    - Drive off
    - Run him down
    - Shoot back
    - Throw something out the window that looks like a wallet
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    good points, all.. And as Guantes has said.. not a bad idea to pre-think and discuss these scenarios a bit... it's not a pretty world out there any more... and, if something bad happens, maybe a discussion here comes to mind, and gives us that aha moment... the one that saves our bacon.
    Amen!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

If giving up the wallet solves it, fine. If not, you're in no different position tactically than before.

As for dropping the wallet, don't you think the bad guys have figured that one out? It may not give you the advantage you expect. The "spare wallet" is a MUCH better idea.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    We've all seen this scenario here before . Here's what really happened.

Next thing you know, he's at your side window, with a gun in your face... "I need your wallet , Jack."

GO!
    what decade does this scenario take place in?

pick one... or replace with "Break yourself"...

Not helpful, but thanks for your input.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

I would probaly give him my wallet and play it from there. I read an article that discussed the fact that it is next to impossible to out-draw a drawn handgun. The only way to win the draw is if his is not loaded, he forgot to take the safety off, or is jittery and misses. At that close range, if he misses you, there are still two more beside you to take the hit. Three people shoulder to shoulder makes a bigger target. Once he has the wallet, if he does not run off, then consider my next move.

To a large extent that is true, unless you are Bob Munden or someone similar.

While more practical in a standing face to face enounter than in this scenario, there is a solution.
    You do not outdraw the drawn gun. You move your body off the line of the aggressor's gun while moving the aggressor's gun off line of your body and drawing your own gun. Therein, it is not necessary to outdraw the drawn gun. The feasibility of this can be demonstrated using a blue gun or airsoft with the proper precautions. There are videos that demostrate the body movement and manipulation of the aggressor's gun. It requires the co-operation of the aggressor/actor so it does not become a contest, but a true reflection of the involved actions.

The amount of hazard involved suggests that it only be used when you believe that your life is in jeopardy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links