You're in the car, man points gun at you.

This is a discussion on You're in the car, man points gun at you. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We've all seen this scenario here before . Here's what really happened. Police said a man approached the car, pulled out a gun and demanded ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You're in the car, man points gun at you.

You're in the car, man points gun at you.

We've all seen this scenario here before . Here's what really happened.

Police said a man approached the car, pulled out a gun and demanded money. Authorities said the driver had his own weapon and shot the robber.
    >>>news story<<<

Now, if you read the whole article... you see that there was a bit of "collateral damage." Both the females in the car were shot in the back, and the defending shooter was shot in the leg.

What would you do? How would/could you avoid the collateral damage?

Assuming this as the basis of the scene... Everybody's in the front seat (or it's a standard cab pickup truck). You have pulled up into the parking lot of your sister's apt. complex... into a guest space. You are dropping her and her roommate off after you took your sis to her birthday dinner.

It's an older two level apt. complex. (Facing 2 story units on each side of a common parking lot. Apartment entries are on an open balcony on second floor. on first level, the entries are on the sidewalk under 2nd floor balcony both level etries face the lot.) BG comes out of the stairway in the center of the side you are facing. You see him, he smiles and nods, you are talking to your sis, she's looking at you and doesn't see him.

Next thing you know, he's at your side window, with a gun in your face... "I need your wallet , Jack."

GO!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Hand over the wallet. It's a stupid tax for a lack of situational awareness. I'm not drawing dead with two family in the car with me.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Not to be a wet blanket, but I would need more information befor determining a course of action.
    Distance and relative body position of the BG in relation to the vehicle.
    Which hand is the BG's weapon in, direction of muzzle and position of the weapon and BG's arm relative to the window frame?
    That's all I can think of at the moment.

If you've got a good head shot, and you're tactical........draw the wallet first and give it to them.....then draw and take the head shot while the perp is looking through your wallet. Get a criminal off the street while protecting your own.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Hand over the wallet and drop it just before he grabs it, then reach for the gun when he is distracted and fire two shots in the chest at close range. You have to create an element of surprise in order to draw your gun or you will be shot easily as the criminal has the upper hand by the fact that he pulled a gun first at your face.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Hand over the wallet and drop it just before he grabs it, then reach for the gun when he is distracted and fire two shots in the chest at close range. You have to create an element of surprise in order to draw your gun or you will be shot easily as the criminal has the upper hand by the fact that he pulled a gun first at your face.
    Like your avatar. The Matrix movies are my favorites!

okay, G... more info, just for you...

BG has come from behind your vehicle, you didn't see him in rearview, you just gave your sis a peck on the cheek. His gun is in his right hand, bent at the elbow... Like a wary LEO (I assume this is why the ladies were shot in the back) he's (his body is) about half covering your side window, gun is at your shoulder level, not pointed at your head. Gun has not crossed the plane into your cab, it's back (outside the window area maybe a foot) a bit.

That's the best I can recreate what may have happened, based on the sketchy info in the article and the injuries to the ladies.. I suspect the BG got off 2 or 3 shots, before being hit center chest.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member
    I just watched this video earlier showing you a vehicle response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ufqIsdRFXw

EBC
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Hand over the wallet and drop it just before he grabs it, then -- Smash him in the head when he reaches for the wallet. then draw and hold him for the cops...
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

Thank you sir, appreciate the consideration.
    Based on my perception of your description, I would act as follows.
    Feign compliance, "OK, OK, don't shoot, (quick scan for crime partners) I'll give you my wallet". Raise hands, left hand higher, above his gun. Left hand parries his weapon straight down reducing the possibility of hitting the other occupants. Draw and SHTTG, letting finger tips griping my weapon hit left bicep to prevent shooting myself in the arm. Rescan for crime partner, exit and take control of his weapon, call 911.

This is when an old wallet with some $1 bills in it would really come in handy. I might put one in my truck console just for this purpose...with a gun right beside it. Might also be a good time to have a wallet holster .380.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Be careful re legalities with handgun concealing devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Be careful re legalities with handgun concealing devices.
    Very true. AOW

I'm kind of stuck on this one. If at all possible I am not going to discharge a weapon in the cab of a pickup truck because every one in that truck is going to suffer permanent hearing loss. OC spray might be a better option. I would also do everything in my power not to put myself at that type of disadvantage in the first place

In addition to preventing shooting yourself in the arm, putting the gripping finger tips on your bicep will put the muzzle outside of the cab. Better than inside.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links