Bad and Good - AK47 used for Self Def(merged)

This is a discussion on Bad and Good - AK47 used for Self Def(merged) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is also another reason why I prefer to use my conventional guns (pistols/shotgun) first before going for the semiautomatic rifle. It can make you ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bad and Good - AK47 used for Self Def(merged)

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    This is also another reason why I prefer to use my conventional guns (pistols/shotgun) first before going for the semiautomatic rifle. It can make you look bad in court as the prosecutor is very quick to crucify you for using that so called "assault weapon". Using an AK, AR, or any kind of military style rifle would label you as a John Rambo or Paul Kersey in front of an anti-gun prosecutor, judge, and jury and would be deemed excessive. I know you disagree with this and I do too. But it's an unfortunate reality. The courts only look on facts and perception rather than the truth.

2. Remove Ads

A good reason not to live in places that think like that.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    This is also another reason why I prefer to use my conventional guns (pistols/shotgun) first before going for the semiautomatic rifle. It can make you look bad in court as the prosecutor is very quick to crucify you for using that so called "assault weapon". Using an AK, AR, or any kind of military style rifle would label you as a John Rambo or Paul Kersey in front of an anti-gun prosecutor, judge, and jury and would be deemed excessive. I know you disagree with this and I do too. But it's an unfortunate reality. The courts only look on facts and perception rather than the truth.

You have noted and good points however a weapon is a weapon. After you shoot it and realize you are alive and they are dead. That is the flower that blooms after a dark evil event occurred.

No matter what weapon you shoot you will go to court unless there is absolutely undeniable evidence that it was pure self defense with no possible other outcome.
    I figure if im gonna pack firepower im gonna pack enough. Thats why I use my 1911 for home defense, a whopping butt ton of knock down, hardly any penetration through the wall. I also have my 12 ready and loaded just in case, and my AR 6.8spc with Tac rounds in a detached magazine if zombies are breaking in my windows.

I choose my defensive weapon based on the current threat condition. I also have my little darling secret weapon in case nazi demon people come through the portal from the netherworld, A really good pair of tennis shoes and a clear exit to RUN MY FREAKING BUTT OFF.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    A good reason not to live in places that think like that.
    Noted, been noted, and will always be noted and agree'd upon. Im moving to Big Sky country in 2 years or so.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I have to admit, that when I read the article and it said there were some 2,000 MS-13 members in that county it made my eyebrows climb. In that kind of urban enviroment, with that level of gang activity, how is a person suposed to conduct themselves? Trying to walk a line between being a constant victim and trying to take on the whole gang????? How will the gang respond to his actions??
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Warning shots are a bad policy in the state of New York. I believe that stance makes a bit of sense. Even in a suburban area like that one there are a lot of things that can go wrong with a warning shot. I donít believe it would have mattered what type of firearm he used in this case

Be prepared to go down as a martyr while standing upon your faith or principles. You do what's right at the time, and nobody has the right to judge you for your actions since nobody else is in your shoes at the time. Whatever comes after, you'll answer to. May you always do your best. Those whom would take no action should by all rights, stick to their chair without a word.

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Can't blame the guy for what he did BUT, he has enough firepower to hole up in a safe room
    Not all of us have "safe rooms" and many of us live in houses with little more than sheetrock between us and the elements. Any shots from the outside would more than likely go completely through the house. I wouldn't consider any room to be safe from gunfire.

Michael

Administrator
    repost
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Not all of us have "safe rooms" and many of us live in houses with little more than sheetrock between us and the elements. Any shots from the outside would more than likely go completely through the house. I wouldn't consider any room to be safe from gunfire.
    While few people have built up a standards-based "safe" room of any sort, most folks I think can recognize that being inside and out of view ought to be safer than outside and right in front of a gang of hostile, angry potential felons who are making credible threats of death against the family. ANY room inside would likely be safer than that.

Being inside affords being out of sight, some cover, the ability to force the threat to come to you, and the ability to focus defenses on an access choke point (ie, the hallway leading to the one door to the room). Particularly if a person thinks about creating some measure of appropriate cover in such a room, a room should be much safer than what was described in the scenario. I think that's what's meant by "safe room" in this thread when folks have mentioned it.

In terms of odds, I'd say it's far more likely to survive attempts to attack from inside some room in an unknown area of a house. Can't say that I recall many reports of crimes where folks were attacked by firing all around a home into the walls of that home, other than drive-bys. That's a guess, but I'd prefer to be indoors, out of sight, forcing the felons to ACT and behave like felons prior to my firing at or near them, if for no other reason than to force them to be criminals in advance of my defending against them. At minimum, that allows me to be the defender, and to be legally SEEN as the defender.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sucks for him but he should have really understood New York State law.

Hopefully they will drop the charges and let him have the gun back.

His best bet was just to sit tight with the gun until the police showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I don't agree with his tactical method in that of going into his home only to then exit it once more to what is in net effect place himself into danger with intent to engage a threat(s).
    That in and of itself is almost always fubar...And has resulted in a number of news cases where persons have found themselves 'being forced' to fire onto others and subsequently they themself see the inside of a prison. This most recently occurred several months ago with the case of the father who brought a gun outside to 'defend' his son from shouting neighborhood kids, as rather than pull he and his boy inside behind locked doors and dial 911. IIRC the event occurred in NJ.

Further firing shots of any number into the ground (or air) as 'warning' shots, is all kinds of fubar. Many cases past to present that just do not support 'warning shots'. Where people get this (TV & movies) I'm not sure exactly, but they really need to stop.
    If you display a firearm to another with intent of self defense that is one thing. But to discharge it...You had better have aimed and missed as rather than made so called warning shots. As well you better have VERY GOOD reason to as in immediate danger to pull that trigger. Being "dared" during verbal jousting to do so is not nearly reason enough. Sorry.

Had any of the other 20+ men (per the victims account) been armed with just a handgun he'd have been toast.
    His family and his babies and his cousin too; Toast.
    Having a gun of any sort does not provide a bubble of invincibility around ones self. All it takes is one veiled and good shot on to you, the GG, to nullify you as you stand with gun in hand. Now what?!

Dude would have been far better off to have stayed in his home upon re-entry, armed himself, dial 911 and to have he and his cousin take observation points among his perimeter toward _potential_ that they might try to breech his castle.
    To which at such time he then would have been justified to discharge his firearm be it as a hit, or miss.

Yes his method in the end worked to save his family that day.
    But now what, about tomorrow?

- Janq
    Ding. We have a winner.

Janq, you continue to impress me. By entering his home, getting the weapon, and then leaving his house to confront them he escalated the situation. Holing up in the house and calling the police while being prepared to defend against anyone attempting to enter while waiting for the police to show up... now, THAT makes sense.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

I agree with Janq too. His family has likely moved up on the target list.
    I thought a warning shot was the one that hit the first target, thereby warning the others that they're next....
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by docdozer View Post
    I thought a warning shot was the one that hit the first target, thereby warning the others that they're next....

Exactly.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links