Bad and Good - AK47 used for Self Def(merged)

This is a discussion on Bad and Good - AK47 used for Self Def(merged) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good - An Ak 47 was used to defend one's life and family. Bad - He chose to live in NY and defend his life ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

Good - An Ak 47 was used to defend one's life and family.
    Bad - He chose to live in NY and defend his life and family while living in New York.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/09/...me-with-ak-47/
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

[QUOTE=tangoseal;1755294]Good - An Ak 47 was used to defend one's life and family.
    Bad - He chose to live in NY and defend his life and family while living in New York.

You know what? I didn't even bother watching the video or hitting the link. The text alone is enough for me to decide this was a good outcome. Any time one defends themselves or family successfully that pretty much means everything. The consequences in doing so thereafter really don't amount to a hill of beans. Defending oneself and/or their loved ones with anything takes principles. No matter what the law says, that's never something that can be taken away. I'll gladly defend my family even if I go to prison for the rest of my life because of violating some laws that transgress our national heritage. At least I know they're still alive and I did what I must to see to it they see another day. That's deep down principles...and by golly, we need to take a stand. There's no "bad" (or downside) in this scenario IMO. You've got to be willing to do what's right and go down the road with it. If you're not willing to take the consequences of your just actions and what is truly right, then be ready to take yourself out of the mix once you've done what needs doing. Never be taken prisoner. You need to affirm your beliefs first....then you'll know where I'm coming from. Backbones seem to be going out of style these days. Don't shoot the messenger.

I don't believe it happened. Everyone knows NYC has very strict gun laws. Impossible someone could have got an AK into that city.

According to the story,he legally owned the gun,but he fired 4 shots into the ground without seeing anyone with a gun in a gang that amounted to over 20 people threatening him and his family,I personally think it's time that we unleashed Delta Force on every gang within our borders,citing the fact they amount to subversive Terrorists.About time America woke up and took action,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    The gun was legal and he had a clean record according to the police. Unfortunately, the law is the law and you just can't go out there with a rifle outside your home. It was a bad judgement and tactical error on his part but I don't think he acted recklessly since he fired into the ground and not into the air. But if he is lucky to have the charges dropped and his AK back (a longshot at best because of their bloodthirsty prosecutors), this man needs a lot of schooling in NY's deadly force and firearm laws as more legal ways to defend his home.

VIP Member
    Well if he was defending himself and his family against that gang,God help him.
    They sound about as bad as a gang can get.
    Mara Salvatrucha, better known as MS-13

Heres proof, from the FBI themselves..

http://www.fbi.gov/page2/jan08/ms13_011408.html

He was just meeting fire with fire it seems to me.

MS-13 operates in at least 42 states and the District of Columbia and has about 6,000-10,000 members nationwide. Currently, the threat is highest in the western and northeastern parts of the country, which coincides with elevated Salvadoran immigrant populations in those areas. In the southeast and central regions, the current threat is moderate to low, but recently, we've seen an influx of MS-13 members into the southeast, causing an increase in violent crimes there.

For More Information
    - Going Global on MS-13
    - MS-13 Up Close
    - FBI Violent Gangs Website

MS-13 members engage in a wide range of criminal activity, including drug distribution, murder, rape, prostitution, robbery, home invasions, immigration offenses, kidnapping, carjackings/auto thefts, and vandalism. Most of these crimes, you'll notice, have one thing in common—they are exceedingly violent. And while most of the violence is directed toward other MS-13 members or rival street gangs, innocent citizens often get caught in the crossfire.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    What most disturbs me about MS-13 is not only their presence in all 50 states and their sheer ruthlessness, but the paramilitary training and experience that some of their older members experienced in the Salvadoran Army, Right Wing Death Squads, and the Leftist Guerrillas. They have seen death all their lives and if they want to hack off your head or limb, they will do so without hesitation or remorse.

I hope he learns the phrase disparity of force real quick like, and NY recognizes it.

I wish this man luck. I think he acted appropriately. I might have done the same thing.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    The gun was legal and he had a clean record according to the police. Unfortunately, the law is the law and you just can't go out there with a rifle outside your home. It was a bad judgement and tactical error on his part but I don't think he acted recklessly since he fired into the ground and not into the air. But if he is lucky to have the charges dropped and his AK back (a longshot at best because of their bloodthirsty prosecutors), this man needs a lot of schooling in NY's deadly force and firearm laws as more legal ways to defend his home.
    What would have been more legal?

I am curious now that you have opened Pandora's Box on this thread.

I guess he should have used harsh language or maybe told them to wait before they killed his family so he could have the pastor come over and pray for them first.
    The law is directly in violation with his natural right to self defense.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    The law is directly in violation with his natural right to self defense.
    Its NYC, every law is in violation of something, kinda like NJ.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

OK....I have to ask...

Was it a "true" AK-47 (you know, fully-auto Class III weapon)?

Or was it an SKS/AK-47-styled semi-automatic rifle??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Sadly, we may not have heard the end of this story. If it were gang members, they'll be back, and the AK is gone now.

I for one, am not willing to go to jail for protecting my family. Simply because I cannot protect them from jail.

I pray for this man's (and his family's) safety and that his attorney knows how to defend him.

I didn't see where any gang memebers were arrested (not that it would matter). I guess according to NY law, they are the victim here.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I don't believe it happened. Everyone knows NYC has very strict gun laws. Impossible someone could have got an AK into that city.
    Its NYC, every law is in violation of something, kinda like NJ.
    Did you two even read the article? Unionsdale, thatís not NYC. Itís technically a hamlet if I remember and the best things itís got is sports teams. (not a islanders fan myself but hey)

if this was a vicious gang..they are gonna come back for more probably
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links