My biggest fear as a deafie...

This is a discussion on My biggest fear as a deafie... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A while back, someone on another forum asked me what is my biggest fear as a deaf person (deafie). This basically sums it up. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My biggest fear as a deafie...

My biggest fear as a deafie...

A while back, someone on another forum asked me what is my biggest fear as a deaf person (deafie). This basically sums it up. I hope to God this never happens to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWvLST_Qojw

Dave
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Ouch. Bad cop reaction.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

very bad...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

That is bad. It's not like John pulled the knife on the cop or nothing. Can you say civil suit?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Administrator
    I'm not sure how to solve that issue, other than it being up to you to be extra aware of your surroundings.

I've had only a few encounters with deaf people as an LEO. While none of them were bad or had weapons involved, all but one were very quick to let me know they are deaf. It wasnt an issue. The one who didn't, could have, but chose not too. I think he had an agenda... but it turned out OK in the end.

Also, watch making assumptions in with this case. We do not know the whole story, we just know one side.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm not sure how to solve that issue, other than it being up to you to be extra aware of your surroundings.

I've had only a few encounters with deaf people as an LEO. While none of them were bad or had weapons involved, all but one were very quick to let me know they are deaf. It wasnt an issue. The one who didn't, could have, but chose not too. I think he had an agenda... but it turned out OK in the end.
    It has been my experience that if a deafie refuses to notify LE that they are deaf, then they are hiding something else (usually drugs).
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

If John was shot in the chest then he apparently was facing the Officer who had his gun drawn,at that point whether I can hear or not,I'm gonna drop anything in my hands and raise them so the Cop can see I'm not a threat.There should be a sign that tells Cops I'm hearing impaired and is taught during monthly classes or at Roll Call.It could be the Cop overreacted,I wasn't there so I don't know,9-10 feet away,the Tueller drill teaches us that at 20 feet somebody can advance and cut you before you can draw and shoot.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    This is going to be hard for us to decipher until all of the facts are out on the table. I find it very difficult to believe that a cop simply started shooting the guy, but who knows at this point.

But Sixto, I would like to offer some clarification: you noted that in every instance the deaf person told you they were deaf. That is probably because it was already an encounter, and they knew it was an encounter and offered that right up. This sounds like the guy didn't even realize he was involved in an encounter with a cop. We really need to get more detail before we can pass any judgement ..... even though I, for one, did quickly pass judgement.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Based solely on that video, I have absolutely no idea what happened. I know only one story told by one person who had absolutely no involvement with the incident. Basically, I know LESS than one side of the story - I know only what the person who made the video wants me to know.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post

But Sixto, I would like to offer some clarification: you noted that in every instance the deaf person told you they were deaf. That is probably because it was already an encounter, and they knew it was an encounter and offered that right up. This sounds like the guy didn't even realize he was involved in an encounter with a cop. We really need to get more detail before we can pass any judgement ..... even though I, for one, did quickly pass judgement.
    I know, I wasnt saying that for realtion to this particular incident, just that in my experiance, deaf people are pretty quick to let it be known they are deaf.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/daily...e_american.php

According to this, he had headphones in, and was deaf in one ear. Which IMHO, is bad on many levels.

1. How come the LEO did not see the headphones?

2. If the LEO saw the headphones, who would think the person wearing them is (half) deaf?

It does seem as this guy was not a BG, and the picture of his work is beautiful. Nobody will know the real story,..

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/daily...e_american.php

According to this, he had headphones in, and was deaf in one ear. Which IMHO, is bad on many levels.

1. How come the LEO did not see the headphones?
    Because most headphones are now actually earphones or "earbuds". I havent seen an actually set of headphones on anybody in years. Secondly, the threat was not the headphones (which were more than likely small ear bud style) The LEO would have been focused on the threat, which was the knife.
    "Just blame Sixto"

John was deaf in one ear. That means he could hear out of the other one.

Rule #1. Whether you're deaf or not I would not walk around town with a knife.
    Rule #2. Drop the knife if the police are yelling for you to drop the knife and they have guns pointed at you. Failure to respond to their request can result in injury or death. Even totally deaf people understand this. Again John was NOT totally deaf.

Did you see John? I would not want to encounter John walking down the street with a knife in his hand as I too would feel threatened. If he approached me and I said stop and he continued to come towards me with a knife in his hand I would have shot him also. Sorry John.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Because most headphones are now actually earphones or "earbuds". I havent seen an actually set of headphones on anybody in years. Secondly, the threat was not the headphones (which were more than likely small ear bud style) The LEO would have been focused on the threat, which was the knife.
    I should have been more clear. I'm extremely observant, and because I have to deal with talking to people all day for a living, I spot very quickly the little wires running through the top of someones collar/dropping down from their ears/ etc, I didn't think about them simply being overlooked as unseen. I have an unused iPod touch , alot of it is for this reason. Peoples SA is so down, I see people ALL THE TIME walking around listening to music in their own little world, always bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    John was deaf in one ear. That means he could hear out of the other one.

Rule #1. Whether you're deaf or not I would not walk around town with a knife.
    Rule #2. Drop the knife if the police are yelling for you to drop the knife and they have guns pointed at you. Failure to respond to their request can result in injury or death. Even totally deaf people understand this. Again John was NOT totally deaf.

Did you see John? I would not want to encounter John walking down the street with a knife in his hand as I too would feel threatened. If he approached me and I said stop and he continued to come towards me with a knife in his hand I would have shot him also. Sorry John.

If he had headphoneS in, then this means his good ear was being blocked, even if the sound wasn't on, an earbud/headphone can still hinder hearing out of that ear, esp when hes half deaf. And if he was actually listening to something, then theres probable no way he could have heard you. IMHO.

I didn't think about this either; If he was actually carving, or had the knife in his hand, AND a peice of wood, that could appear he is holding TWO weapons. Hmm.

EDIT: I wouldn't shoot a guy just because he was holding a knife, but I'm not a LEO either. If he was walking my way, I'd definitely avoid and keep a close eye on in case I did need to draw in defense. I'd probable try to quickly cross the street, or walk towards a parked car so its in between the two of us and let him pass .

VIP Member
    I really liked the Seattle area when I lived there. Except for, you know, all the OTHER people who lived there.

It's sad that Mr. Williams was killed, but the idiotic reaction of the local bleeding-hearts is truly repulsive. This was a chronic alcoholic with a decades long rap sheet and a history of mental illness, who at the very least was moving towards the officer with a knife in his hand (and according to the officer's testimony "lunged" at him as well); all after being told numerous times to stop/drop the knife. His race and the fact that he was deaf in one ear probably has less to do with the story than the earphones, his mental state, his level of intoxication, etc. It's quite clear that Mr. Williams knew that he was being addressed by a cop - the two faced each other for close to a minute before the shooting.

deafdave3 - I totally understand your concerns. As a "plainclothes" guy who is usually working in a foreign country, I have serious cause to worry about being shot by another "good guy" who doesn't recognize me and/or mistakes me for a "bad guy." I think your fears are legitimate. I just don't think that this particular incident demonstrates the "typical" scenario that many deaf people must envision - being shot by a cop simply for failing to hear/heed directions immediately. As an armed citizen, I can see a possible incident where you might be inadvertantly displaying your weapon, a cop comes up behind you, starts yelling commands (which you don't hear) and then...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links