Shut up and Go word as opposed to safe word?

This is a discussion on Shut up and Go word as opposed to safe word? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 I understand the code word for kids to be aware, a good idea. For my wife and I...it's, "Time to go, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Shut up and Go word as opposed to safe word?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I understand the code word for kids to be aware, a good idea.
    For my wife and I...it's, "Time to go, now!"
    ^^^^ That's mine. Or, "We're out, NOW." My wife can tell by my tone. Not a bad idea to have a code word though that wouldn't alert anyone else around. I'll have to think on that one. I like the feed the dog idea, but knowing my 9 year old daughter she'd break into a long diatribe about how we don't have the dog anymore.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

The flight of the hatchlings, does simplify things.

Excellent thoughts and ideas,haven't thought about it quite this way since the kids moved out.When it gets weird around the wife and me its "we're going now!" she looks at me and knows its time to move, we'll definitely discuss it afterward.
    "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you !!!" Henry Kissenger as a wise man said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber

I remember a duress word we had back in the day,I was an SP duress word was (Cumquat),backup was (Cucumber).I had to ask WTH is a Cumquat,I'm pretty sure that anybody that uses cumquat in a sentence is few and far between
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Armageddon. Used like this: "Arm a geddin in da truck, yall come on now, ya hear?"
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Platipus
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

Snorkel!

j/k; good concept
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Packin,

I have this setup with my kids.
    It is a phrase rather than word that is not to be used in jest ever and is only practiced when we are at home and it's announced before hand that we are practicing it.

Basically it is a statement that it is time to go feed our dog.
    Only the dogs name that we use is that of my old dog who is now dead....That is the kicker.

So I say to either kid something along the lines of 'We need to leave; Soon it'll be time to feed Rin Tin-Tin' [Not my dogs name...Just an example] and well my kids now know and are practiced that means STOP what you are doing IMMEDIATELY no matter what it is or who you were talking to and to come to me (Dad) IMMEDIATELY as with intent to exit the location right now. Not tomorrow or after whining and begging. Right this moment instant.
    And they know that I would not and do not use it capriciously nor jokingly.

If I say the phrase then that specifically means that I believe there is imminent danger.
    Imminent as in we have very little time to act, so as to not suffer.

My wife thinks it's hokey. Fine, she gets left is what I told her as she can watch our backs as we depart.
    My daughter (8) thinks it's a very good idea and she on her won will work with her brother (4) to practice same when they are playing pretend life at home. She'll make something up like oh no there's a bear outside...Or a BG is at the store, to which commonly my son will comment it's okay dad can use his pepper spray.

I got the idea two summer ago as I was in the yard working on our pool with my kids off in the yard playing.
    I heard a jingle jangle noise faint but getting closer and as I stood up to see what it was a flash of black went by heading toward the kids direction.
    As per my usual I was armed. I jumped off the deck and headed toward them at the mid point of the arc where I last saw the blur headed.
    At the same time I yelled out to my kids in a voice they up to then had never heard; KIDS! COME TO ME _RIGHT_ NOW!!.
    My daughter without hesitation grabbed my sons hand ( he was just 2 then) and they both bolted fast as they little kid feet could. She rallyed directly behind me at my legs holding her brother, and looking around.

It turned out to be a large but friendly black Lab owned by visiting relatives from my neighbor three houses down the block.
    The noise I heard was it's tags. It had gotten out of the house and they came by minutes later looking for it. I pointed them in the direction it went and they walked by my front window like 10m later with it on leash as from my neighbors property.

That same days over dinner we three talked about what happened and I told them I was very proud that they came right to me as they did, dropping their toys.
    We then decided to make up this phrase so that next time life occurs they would know what I mean and know how to react. My kids have talked about that day often since. and our plan thank goodness has not needed to be used again, yet. Knock wood.

- Janq
    thanks Janq awesome post
    I have this sort of phrase thing like yourself.. But now I'll use something like yours for a "we need to leave/get to safety now on me"

I have a "go word" or a "fight word" if the BG has the drop on us or we are in a heated situation where I know I now have to defend our lives as soon as a say the word in the sentence, it means "fight is on". I do this because people's minds will wait for the phrase or sentence to be finished it is just how the mind works. for an example the go word is "on" : "Don't Tread 'on'...." see the BG will be waiting for me to finish with the sentence.. the fight word is like a cliffhanger so it should give me a few seconds to react to the situation.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    I think most of you with the "Let's go... NOW!" answer are missing the OP's point. There are times when the threat is close and could hear you. Or you don't want to cause a crowd to panic and trample your kids. A code word allows you both to be in code orange/red at the same time while not alerting the BG that you are preparing/making plans to avoid being a victim.

My wife and I use the word "pineapple" as a "this is a real emergeny and I'm not joking" code word. We have never had to use it in real life.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Antidisestablishmentarianistic
    Flex likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Telling my SO, even in a dangerous situation, what to do, would stop her in her tracks and start an argument... "What do you mean, GERONIMO! I ain't gonna shut up and go... anywhere with you! I don't care about that pansy over there with the ski mask and the Gangsta Glock... You do not tell me where to go... You got me?!"
    Me (in my best underdog voice) "Yes dear...."
    "That's what I'm talkin' about... Now YOU shut up and go!"
    Whenever I see something like that in a movie, it lights my fire and I tell my wife if you ever pull anything like that you'll be talking to yourself cause I'll already be gone. Same as the person that says "I can't" (jump the 6" to the fireman's ladder). Leave them and go find somebody who can!

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Whenever I see something like that in a movie, it lights my fire and I tell my wife if you ever pull anything like that you'll be talking to yourself cause I'll already be gone. Same as the person that says "I can't" (jump the 6" to the fireman's ladder). Leave them and go find somebody who can!
    That was a joke, son! A joke, I say...
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

ah, Foghorn Leghorn. Those were the days.

I would think twice about a code word that wasn't in everyday use, unless it was practiced a lot (which of course is part of the idea).
    Comedian: "Cucumber! No,... carrot! No,... cauliflower! Oh, #@&$ Just run!"

"Kids, we need to go NOW" using the parental tone might be enough, especially if you talk about it beforehand.
    There is a reason why parents shouldn't yell at their kids very often -- if yelling is the norm, no amount of yelling in an emergency will be listened to.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

"Did you feed the cat?"

We don't own a cat. That's a 'lets get out of here'.

"Dang it, I forgot to feed the cat" means WE NEED TO LEAVE without looking like we're escaping.

With my kids and wife ours is a phrase that you would hear anytime. "Just got a text from Brooks having car trouble." key to statement is Brooks is our cat. She can't text and doesn't drive :)
    The gun fight you really win is the gunfight you avoided.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links