Shut up and Go word as opposed to safe word?

This is a discussion on Shut up and Go word as opposed to safe word? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of us have experienced incidents while out with family or significant others where we picked up on a potential threat or other such serious ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Shut up and Go word as opposed to safe word?

Some of us have experienced incidents while out with family or significant others where we picked up on a potential threat or other such serious incident and had the urge to evac the family or others without coming right out and saying it and panicking the rest of the folks around us or giving ourselves away to the potential threat.

Do any of you actually have a "shut up and go word" for those times when you're trying to hurry a significant other out of the store etc... and they're either not paying attention or not heeding your hurried exit?

I'm thinking along the lines of something like a safe word, but on the opposite end like a "just shut up and go" word for potential threat or emergency purposes... IE something that you could work into a random sentence that the other would understand/pick up on the urgency.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Geronimo!

Go pick up some geronimo paper towels.

I want to stop at geronimo burger on the way home.

so geronimo said, "what you mean we, kimosabe?"

No, I/we don't have such a word. Telling my SO, even in a dangerous situation, what to do, would stop her in her tracks and start an argument... "What do you mean, GERONIMO! I ain't gonna shut up and go... anywhere with you! I don't care about that pansy over there with the ski mask and the Gangsta Glock... You do not tell me where to go... You got me?!"
    Me (in my best underdog voice) "Yes dear...."
    "That's what I'm talkin' about... Now YOU shut up and go!"

That was a joke, son...

not a bad idea... some obscure brand name or brand name sounding word might make do in most situations... like geronimo above..
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I'm thinking it can't be something like a brand name or anything. It's going to have to be something that doesn't come up in normal conversation. Otherwise, the meaning will be lost in overuse.

edit:
    maybe a phrase like "I have a call from 9 to 11" or "we have to schedule our flight from the 9th to the 11th" or something along those lines to get the person moving when they've not picked up on your need to evac.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

How about Muskrat, it's random and it worked in Meet the Fockers.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Packin,

I have this setup with my kids.
    It is a phrase rather than word that is not to be used in jest ever and is only practiced when we are at home and it's announced before hand that we are practicing it.

Basically it is a statement that it is time to go feed our dog.
    Only the dogs name that we use is that of my old dog who is now dead....That is the kicker.

So I say to either kid something along the lines of 'We need to leave; Soon it'll be time to feed Rin Tin-Tin' [Not my dogs name...Just an example] and well my kids now know and are practiced that means STOP what you are doing IMMEDIATELY no matter what it is or who you were talking to and to come to me (Dad) IMMEDIATELY as with intent to exit the location right now. Not tomorrow or after whining and begging. Right this moment instant.
    And they know that I would not and do not use it capriciously nor jokingly.

If I say the phrase then that specifically means that I believe there is imminent danger.
    Imminent as in we have very little time to act, so as to not suffer.

My wife thinks it's hokey. Fine, she gets left is what I told her as she can watch our backs as we depart.
    My daughter (8) thinks it's a very good idea and she on her won will work with her brother (4) to practice same when they are playing pretend life at home. She'll make something up like oh no there's a bear outside...Or a BG is at the store, to which commonly my son will comment it's okay dad can use his pepper spray.

I got the idea two summer ago as I was in the yard working on our pool with my kids off in the yard playing.
    I heard a jingle jangle noise faint but getting closer and as I stood up to see what it was a flash of black went by heading toward the kids direction.
    As per my usual I was armed. I jumped off the deck and headed toward them at the mid point of the arc where I last saw the blur headed.
    At the same time I yelled out to my kids in a voice they up to then had never heard; KIDS! COME TO ME _RIGHT_ NOW!!.
    My daughter without hesitation grabbed my sons hand ( he was just 2 then) and they both bolted fast as they little kid feet could. She rallyed directly behind me at my legs holding her brother, and looking around.

It turned out to be a large but friendly black Lab owned by visiting relatives from my neighbor three houses down the block.
    The noise I heard was it's tags. It had gotten out of the house and they came by minutes later looking for it. I pointed them in the direction it went and they walked by my front window like 10m later with it on leash as from my neighbors property.

That same days over dinner we three talked about what happened and I told them I was very proud that they came right to me as they did, dropping their toys.
    We then decided to make up this phrase so that next time life occurs they would know what I mean and know how to react. My kids have talked about that day often since. and our plan thank goodness has not needed to be used again, yet. Knock wood.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I'm thinking it can't be something like a brand name or anything. It's going to have to be something that doesn't come up in normal conversation. Otherwise, the meaning will be lost in overuse.

edit:
    maybe a phrase like "I have a call from 9 to 11" or "we have to schedule our flight from the 9th to the 11th" or something along those lines to get the person moving when they've not picked up on your need to evac.
    I don't know.. I think it's been years since I've said the word geronimo in normal conversation... something like your 911 separated with other words to obscure it makes it hard to decipher... this word or phrase should need no thought... 9th to the 11th... "what are you talking about it's the 15th already... oh.. okay..."

In an emergent situation, you need a one word command... that means "drop everything and come with me". phraseology does not work well... particularly if it has to be "decoded" to be understood. The word is only gonna come from you or your SO, one to the other... If someone else says it, it means nothing... If you always say "pop" for a carbonated beverage... you could use soda... If you always buy Coke or Pepsi or Mt. Dew you could use the word cola.

Usually, if there's time to talk in code words, there's time to react pre-emptively... for example: if your code word causes hesitation/questioning in your SO... they can look at you, you can move your eyes or otherwise non-verbally signal them...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    we have a very effective sentence that works well..."no questions, just move to .... now!" the problem with single words and code words is there still has to be a plan...and the hesitation or thought involved in the plan can be enough for trouble...i use very explicit instructions to get the results i need now without hesitation and if we are someplace public emy wife and child understand is i am using a tone that is firm and demanding it isnt a time for argument....its a time for action...questions come later...my look trumps any dirty look my wife can give me when i need immediate cooperation....

code words work at home...they get people to their safe place and prepared for the worst....out in public they are in a vacuum and need direction or they are as likely to walk into the problem as away from it...i dont ask for anyone to follow me as that leaves them unprotected...i direct them to safety and follow them to gaurd their six....not just against potential bad guys but also potential dangerous situations...

I feel kinda....Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

"NOW", followed by verbal or physical instructions.
    Flex likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Must be careful with "duress" codewords!

Many years ago, the monthly duress codeword at the nuclear alert pad at base X was "antelope." A buddy and I were dispatched to repair a "cocked" B-52 and while waiting for the guard to finish checking our badges, etc., the buddy mentioned that he'd just come off leave from an antelope hunt. Next thing I knew we were both face down in the dirt, red-faced, and with a LOT of explaining to do.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Aardvark
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Like bladenbullet and Guantes, it's pretty much "move NOW ......!" followed by the location, etc. I like the idea of a word or phrase, it's just not something we've tried out. My 5 year old questions EVERYTHING. Luckily, one time a loose pitt bull saw us and bolted towards my daughter. She reached for my hand when we both saw it and I just said "run now" and she went towards the house, about 20 yards away. It actually worked, which was surprising seeing as she would usually ask "why?"
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Mine is rather simple Let's GO NOW ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I understand the code word for kids to be aware, a good idea.
    For my wife and I...it's, "Time to go, now!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In the same vein, a friend and his wife have a system that if a BG is in the home with them when the other comes home, the recent arrival is called by their middle name. The new arrival knows to make an excuse (forgot the milk) to leave immediately and call the police (he's a police chief, btw)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links