Researching for an article on urban survival preparedness and would like input - Page 2

Researching for an article on urban survival preparedness and would like input

This is a discussion on Researching for an article on urban survival preparedness and would like input within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Become rural....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Researching for an article on urban survival preparedness and would like input

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Become rural.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    When most of the readily available food runs out for you.. whatcha gonna do to earn what someone has left to spare?
    Quilt, sew, teach.
    I even have my mother's old treadle sewing machine. :-) Everyone will need clothes and blankets.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    I remember a blog written by a guy in Brazil who was writing about the impact of an urban meltdown he was living through. Sorry, couldn't find it, but it was very illuminating. Turns your normal assumptions about urban living on their heads. If you can find it you might find it very helpful.
    I think you meant Argentina, not Brazil. The gentleman's name is FerFal and his blog can be found here: http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008/10/t...ival-2005.html

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It's THE best thing I've ever read on the subject. PERIOD.

A city will get VERY ugly in the 12-72 hours after loss of power and civil control. You might be able to have your stores, your weapons, your plan.. and they burn your building down around you.

Those who can recognize and act quickly can get out of Dodge before Dodge gets too dangerous. If the problem is widespread (resources diluted to respond) or long lived you need to get out NOW. Within days the food and water runs out and that place becomes a war zone.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Some choose to get out of Dodge for good, befor anything happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I suspect that the most vaulable person will be the one that can train mules, horses and ponies to plow. Tack makers. Leather tanners. I have played around with tanning using brains. It ain't easy nor fun.
    And brains are so hard to come by; even more so in D.C.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I just found another link that you might find helpful. The section on guns calls XDs "Glock clones". http://neithercorp.us/npress/?p=228

What most people dont realize is that you must have a way to KEEP what you have. All the water, food, land, etc etc etc...even ammo, in the world wont help you unless you can keep them. People disregard the actual numbers of people on the move, desperate people.

You must be waaayy of the road systems or in a community or compound and prepared to blockade and keep others out. You, protecting 'your castle,' wont get very far on your own.

Another thing I hear is...I'll just hunt. Yeah, for about a month. Then, with 'everyone else' hunting, all the game will be gone or so far up in the hills you'll need other valuable resources to get to it, find it, and bring it back. If you can find it at all.

Ya got crops? Who is going to guard those 24/7? Many many things to consider...start with figuring out *where you should be when it happens and with whom.* And if not, how to get there.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    The book One Second After would be a good reference for what might happen in an urban setting... As opposed to Patriots in a rural setting. Then there's always the on line reference about the financial collapse in Argentina, or more currently (in news articles) the one in Iceland.
    Both are excellent resources.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Another angle to consider if we are talking EOTWAWKI scenarios is the moral questions that would be faced. I have two family members that due to age or disabilities would not be able to do anything productive for our community. That is forty percent of my family in this area. That is forty percent of my food and water.
    If we don't isolate ourselves but instead join with others in the community, how do we justify expending resources on them? Would you be happy to give them equal rations to someone who hunts, works the fields, or stands security?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

The books mentioned are good resources to start with. Other barterable items to have on hand tobacco and alcohol. Also having medical supplies outside of medications like bandages, splints, and ace bandages would be a good idea. I would also recommend learning all you can about natural cures for headaches, infections etc.
    http://www.gunmerchantaccount.com
    Firearms Dealer Merchant Services

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9mm View Post
    I'm writing a brief article on the topic of "Urban Survival Skills: Preparing for the Unexpected" and would like to hear your input as to what core info should be included.
    I would think of the list of things that could go wrong, from most likely to least, including natural and man-made causes, accidents as well as evil-intentioned acts of crime against others. Start with the basics for survival (water, food), basic clothing (to cover the season, destination), security and defense, basic tools, basic communications, trade goods and/or money to exchange for necessities.

Think through what would happen if a given resource were unavailable for a day, week, year ... and then think through all the ramifications of having to deal with that. For example, what if clean, drinkable water was not available due to severe contamination. What if your primary stores of items were looted, damaged or you could not get to them (including your store of water, food, clothing, tools). What if you had no communications for a long time. Or, no means of travel. Or, the environmental factors around you eliminated whatever escape routes you had planned for. And so on.

You might consider heading to a half dozen disaster preparedness web sites to consider the combination of gear they include in their "survival" bags; first aid bags.

Consider the reality of multiple lists, given changing circumstances. There's what's desirable, fine. But SHTF can change plans. What then? How to have a flexible enough plan and preparations that what you've done doesn't amount to zero in the face of real problems that arise to change things?

Imagine the "curve balls" that life could throw you, in the given circumstance. Such changes in the realities can knock another leg out from under your plans, possibly erasing your plans completely. For example, imagine an earthquake killing the reservoirs in the region, the roads for delivery of water, and poisoning the potable water nearby; then, add in a second problem of inability to get to your primary stores due to lack of transportation or broken leg or whatever. That sort of thinking can help test how fragile your "solution" of equipment and preparedness is.

As some have suggested, whole books could be written on many of these subjects independently of the others. So, you'll need to focus and economize. Identify the core problems, the core resources you'd need, and the primary and backup plans that help the planning to remain flexible enough to survive the situations.

You might consider getting hold of a couple of people at FEMA or some other "disaster preparedness" type organization. I'm sure that a few "inside" folks could help provide a wealth of information, guidance and direction.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Does anyone have a copy of the Lights Out pdf file? It doesn't seem to be online anymore.

Thanks

Found a site where you can read / download. I suggest you download this because it is really not available anymore and hard to find.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?3udnyhm2zrl

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. I do appreciate it and will be going over all your posts in greater detail this week.

Regarding the article being available online: I will ask for permission to do so and will post it if the person who is paying for the article agrees.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links