Researching for an article on urban survival preparedness and would like input

This is a discussion on Researching for an article on urban survival preparedness and would like input within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm writing a brief article on the topic of "Urban Survival Skills: Preparing for the Unexpected" and would like to hear your input as to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm writing a brief article on the topic of "Urban Survival Skills: Preparing for the Unexpected" and would like to hear your input as to what core info should be included.

It's been an age since I've been on the forums here, but I'm looking for input on what back in the day some would have called a S(tuff)HTF scenario. You know, a major catastrophe that prompts a societal meltdown and it could be weeks or months until order is restored.

Thanks to all in advance for your input.

Security, Food/Water, Shelter, Power would be nice. A book could be written and probably has on each.

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Google "Lights Out" - an on-line novel about societal upheaval following a catastrophic event. It's a quick read, and will give you huge insights into what equipment and skills would be needed.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The book One Second After would be a good reference for what might happen in an urban setting... As opposed to Patriots in a rural setting. Then there's always the on line reference about the financial collapse in Argentina, or more currently (in news articles) the one in Iceland.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    First you must have Food and water or means to produce/secure food and clean water.

Then you have to have means to keep your food and water from those who want to take it from you.

The best thing to do is know your neighbors and get the to prepare too.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

It seems that a lot of people make a long term shelter in place plan. However, they lack a rapid evacuation plan. I agree that in many cases staying in place is a great idea. There will be times that we may have to leave with very little notice. Almost every one of us could be exposed to this type of event. It could be a weather related issue, a HazMat event on a road or railroad or a crazy neighbor. This could last for a few minutes or a few days.
    Besides the basic stuff such as clothing, food, personal hygiene. I would want a thumb drive with a copy my household inventory, insurance policy info, phone numbers (I like a hard copy also) etc.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

A sufficient amount of on hand cash to allow at least a weeks food and lodging, if evacuation is necessary.

Security/safety, water, food and communication. In that order. After Katrina I went about a month and a half without electricity. Six months without a phone line.
    If you are not safe and secure it does not matter how much food and water you have.

After a total power failure stores have to have thier coolers and freezers inspected before they can be used for food. How will you store your food? Dried beans and rice. Takes a long time to cook. Will you have a means to cook them? Deep freezer. Do you have ten gallons of fuel per day to run a generator? A small effiecent generator might be a better choice than a large generator. Canned food cooks fast and stores well. Protect from freezing. I have a well and gererators to run the pump. Bottled water cost more than beer after Katrina.
    Cash. Your debit and credit card will not work.
    Fuel. Five gallons will run 5500 watt generator 12 hours. Diesel stores much better and safer than gas. You can't just fill up ten 55 gal drums with gas and expect still be good When you need it. Modern gas goes bad fast.
    Cell towers require electricity. Do you have a CB radio? Who else has one? Portable radio. It is very important to keep up with the news around you. It doesn't do any good for the National Guard to be handing MREs and water 5 miles from your house if you don't know about it.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Administrator
    I'm a bit of an amateur survivalist, SteveW gives a lot of insight with his post. Survivability will boil right back down to the very core basics; Food, water, shelter and security. There are many ways to skin the cat, and a lot will depend on the specific scenario being dealt with.

I'd love to read the article when you complete it. Post it if you can.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I too would love to read the article.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned often enough is medications. It does you little good to have the food and water if you don't have the medications you routinely take. Also, an ample supply of Advil, Pepto-Bismol, and Immodium should be on hand as well, along with some ACE Bandages and such.

Depending on the situation you may have to use your weapons to acquire supplies. How many are prepared to fight for their food and water? Are you willing to kill to eat, and I don't mean a four legged animal. The reason I mention this is, if the situation is bad enough we could conceivably have anarchy where we break off into some sort of clan. Those not part of the clan may be viewed as an enemy. Stockpiles of food, water, ammunition, medical supplies and what-not do in fact run out. What's your plan for re-supply?

Biker

Difficult to answer. Are you talking routine preps everyone should do that would be helpful in all situations or threat specific stuff like a hurricane going to hit you in seventy two hours?
    FEMA supposedly can have resources on the ground anywhere in seventy two hours.

In general I think the biggest thing is adopt behaviors that will help sustain you before you need them. My kids have recently discovered the joys of dried fruit and jerky. Day before yesterday I made banana chips, today I am doing pineapple, apples, and strawberries. In addition I have the shelf full of "Hurricane Food" in the pantry and the MREs in the bug out bag. We don't have a lot of stuff but we can go about two weeks without leaving the house. In an extended scenario we could wander over to the bayou for fish, turtles, and gators, and we could hunt birds, armadillo, wild pigs and deer before we had to resort to eating the cats and the dog.

In general I try to never let my fuel tank in my Suburban go below half a tank. Plus I have ten gallons in cans in the garage. To keep it fresh I don't keep the stuff in the cans more than about six weeks. Buy your fuel cans now. You don't necessarily have to fill them now, but if they announce an expected threat while you are at the office, how many cans do you think will be left at the store by the time you get off?

As far as communications goes, I have both GMRS and Technician class amateur radio licenses. I have 6 FRS/GMRS radios, 2 Motorola genesis portables with GMRS frequencies, 1 with GMRS and a few local 70cm ham repeater frequencies, a dual band 2m/70cm portable with spare batteries and vehicle chargers for all. I also have three CB radios and a marine portable. In a pinch I can use the solar panel for my attic fan to charge batteries. It wouldn't be fast, but it would work. I also have a solar/hand crank powered AM/FM receiver.

As far as security goes. The only way I can afford to shoot as much as I like to is to hand load. If it comes to the point where I am shooting for something other than recreation, I have what I believe to be enough ammo and components. I also have an old camcorder that has a rather crude night vision capability. It isn't the latest generation high tech wiz bang NVGs, but it isn't supposed to be, and it is what I have on hand and it's better than nothing.

As far as commerce goes, depending on how big a disaster we are talking even cash might be worthless. Dollars are only worth what they are because the government backs them. If we are talking a complete societal breakdown, paper money could end up being traded as toilet paper. Ammo, guns, knives, food, water, seeds, gems, tools, precious metals, and medical supplies will be the new currency.

Important papers should be hard copied and digitally copied and sealed in waterproof containers. If possible copies should be stored in separate locations.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

when it comes to survival... in a true TEOTWAWKI situation.. long term survival may rely on your skill set... Barterable skills in an urban situation may be less necessary than in a rural setting, but not necessarily... The ability to make, fix or repair needed objects, even temporarily, may earn you food, shelter, etc.

When most of the readily available food runs out for you.. whatcha gonna do to earn what someone has left to spare?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    when it comes to survival... in a true TEOTWAWKI situation.. long term survival may rely on your skill set... Barterable skills in an urban situation may be less necessary than in a rural setting, but not necessarily... The ability to make, fix or repair needed objects, even temporarily, may earn you food, shelter, etc.

When most of the readily available food runs out for you.. whatcha gonna do to earn what someone has left to spare?
    I suspect that the most vaulable person will be the one that can train mules, horses and ponies to plow. Tack makers. Leather tanners. I have played around with tanning using brains. It ain't easy nor fun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Mid-term (weeks to months) survival? Hard to do in a short article. Short term (say 1 week survival) is fairly easy: batteries, canned food, the water resevoir in your hot water heater, a first aid kit... But to last weeks without stores, services and safety from your fellow citizens requires a lot of planning, preparation, equipping and training, etc.

I remember a blog written by a guy in Brazil who was writing about the impact of an urban meltdown he was living through. Sorry, couldn't find it, but it was very illuminating. Turns your normal assumptions about urban living on their heads. If you can find it you might find it very helpful.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links