My boat was just stolen - what if? - Page 2

My boat was just stolen - what if?

This is a discussion on My boat was just stolen - what if? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most petty crims would at that point crap their pants drop everything and run, never coming back. Agree? No, I don't agree. Once you are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My boat was just stolen - what if?

Most petty crims would at that point crap their pants drop everything and run, never coming back. Agree?
    No, I don't agree.

Once you are known as an "easy mark" they will be back. It's usually the same houses that continue to be burglarized. There is a reason for that, I think it refers to probability.

As for warning shots, I'm not much in favor of them. Rest assurred that if I find you on my property uninvited at night, while in the act of stealing from me you will be facing a drawn gun. Your actions after that point will determine what happens next. The thing is, I don't want or desire to go looking for that uninvited thief, as I just might find him. I'd be more inclined to summon the on-duty constabulary and remain fortified in my home. There have been times I have had to "clear" my yard and such. Even with plenty of training it's not a fun proposition.

Good luck and you might want to consider better securing your property. The more time a criminal has to invest in acquiring your property increases the risk to the criminal at getting apprehended.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    Why do you have to get your gun out of the safe at night? If you were awakened by an intruder standing at the doorway to your bedroom, would that still be your best option. Maybe you have one of those Dick Tracy watches, the one that let him stop time so he could better prepare to stop the bad guys in the cartoons. I don't. My HK(s) are within arm's reach of my pillow. I like seeing the glow of the night sights in the darkness.
    My thoughts also. Don't fire warning shots.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

The reason for the safe? Simple. One 2 and one 4 year old child at home.
    My 2 year boy has been known onto climb to the top of the wardrode. Simply amazing. Nowhere safe from them other than in the safe.
    Electronic safe - 3 buttons and Im in.

...and if 3 buttons still isn't quick enough, you can also try this. Biometric gun safes are not only quick, but they also keep you from fumbling around looking for the buttons or a combination in the dark.

I also like these safes for anyone with kids, for this reason : Once the kid is old enough to remember and use a combination or old enough to go through your stuff and stumble upon a key, the safe is pointless. However, a biometric safe will ONLY open with the parents fingerprint.
    - The GunSafeGuru. Visit my Blog at GunSafesBlogger.com

Just don't shoot a hole in the boat.

I live in Tx,if that happened here I would not use my handgun to stop the theft,my AR 15 with Eotech sight would be a much better choice,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm too old to take a butt kickin' and too young to live without my bass boat. No duty to retreat on my own property, I would have shot BOTH of em' for sure. God created 00buck just for that situation.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    I'm too old to take a butt kickin' and too young to live without my bass boat. No duty to retreat on my own property, I would have shot BOTH of em' for sure. God created 00buck just for that situation.
    You stand a chance of plugging the boat with 00 buck,at least switch to slugs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

No shooting over property...and No warning shots
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Unfortunately most of us live in states that do not allow shooting to protect property. In an ideal world we would be able to. Of course there is always the "What if the guys had made prior arrangements with your neighbor to borrow his boat when they got off their third shift jobs and they got the wrong house by mistake?"
    As far as warning shots, again in a better political fair world the warning should be "Duck" followed immediatly with "Bang"!
    I think I would yell "Drop it" and "I've already called the police". This while holding my gun on them. If they run, they run, if they drop it, good. If they advance towards me then obviously they mean to do me harm and will be taking incoming.
    With two BG's its probably not a good idea but, if it were one guy you could grab ahold of the item being taken and refuse to let go. He has two choices, let go or beat you off of it. At that point he is threatening to do you great phyisical harm and you could shoot him. This may not fly in court, depending on how gun friendly the DA and Judge/Jury are.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Warning shots, in today's world, might cause returning warning shots--or worse. Shouts and a barrage of lights would probably have stopped the thief. It's a bit hard to haul off a boat once you've been spotted.

This is a bit of coulda, woulda, shoulda after the fact. If you had insurance, call them. If you didn't, secure your goodies better and get a tougher dog--and homeowners insurance to cover the goodies. Get motion detector outside floodlights. Soory you've lost a possession, but it's only a possession, and that can be replaced.

As for sleeping through it, my wife claims I'll wake up on the ground one morning after someone steals the entire house!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Warning shots, in today's world, might cause returning warning shots--or worse. Shouts and a barrage of lights would probably have stopped the thief. It's a bit hard to haul off a boat once you've been spotted.

This is a bit of coulda, woulda, shoulda after the fact. If you had insurance, call them. If you didn't, secure your goodies better and get a tougher dog--and homeowners insurance to cover the goodies. Get motion detector outside floodlights. Soory you've lost a possession, but it's only a possession, and that can be replaced.

As for sleeping through it, my wife claims I'll wake up on the ground one morning after someone steals the entire house!
    I think he said the fence they hauled the boat over was 6 feet. Sounds like a pretty good attempt to make sure the BG's knew the boat wasn't sitting out, "free for the taking". This type of boldness really makes me mad. And the laws allow the criminals all kinds of protecting, while doing practically nothing for the victums. Just keep paying your insurance premiums, as they keep going up, and pay the deductable on the stuff they steal from you.

I say add some voltage to that fence. or some razor wire. sensor floodlights are a pain if you have a dog or deer around. I have a huge 1 million candle spotlight near my bedroom window that overlooks the cars and bass tracker. Blast them with light, rack the 870 loud as you can and yell "Run or you die you stupid little______" <Add intense swear words. The inflatable boat will instantly lose its appeal to them. Next day get a shovel or hose out for the "stuff" they left behind.

Also i have a paintball gun that is older but chronographs right at 300 fps and can shoot around 15-18 balls a second dpending on my hopper and the paint. Just occurred to me that it would be pretty usefull as a less than lethal alternative! Its a discontinued aka viking. Heres a vid of one similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUrm...eature=related
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

A friend of mine had a 77 Bronco sitting on the side of his garage, three weeks ago it was stolen. They took it out on a flatbed in broad daylight and headed straight to the scrap yard. Sorry about your boat, Nothing wrong with some late night target practice.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links