My boat was just stolen - what if?

This is a discussion on My boat was just stolen - what if? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few nights ago my 12ft inflatable motor boat was stolen from my locked yard at night, while I was asleep at home upstairs 80yds ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My boat was just stolen - what if?

A few nights ago my 12ft inflatable motor boat was stolen from my locked yard at night, while I was asleep at home upstairs 80yds away. I live in a semi-rural area and the yard is surrounded by thick bush. The 6ft wire mesh fence was bent at the top where the guys must have lifted it over and and carried some 200yds to the nearest transport. It would have taken at least 2 strong guys.
    I remember my german shepherd barking loudly through my sleep, but hes not aggressive so would have been loud, but stood back.
    If Id gotten up to check the noise, Id have seen the event taking place. Cant help helping what the right course of action would have been after grapping my HK P2000 from the safe.
    Shout out some choice words and fire a warning shot? Most petty crims would at that point crap their pants drop everything and run, never coming back. Agree?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Latman View Post
    Agree?
    No.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Call your insurance agent and report it.

Warning shots are usually a very bad idea. Call 911 instead.

VIP Member
    A short time ago, I would have said "No way, in Virginia. You are not in danger of physical harm."

However, see: http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/wb/254276

Virginia allows deadly force in making a citizen's arrest if the person believes a felony has occurred.
    OTOH, I'd still wait for a higher level court decision on this issue, before I fires a shot. I don't want to be a test case.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

In Latvia I’d take a couple of warning shots – In AZ, not so much.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    some would consider calling the police and actually reporting that you were being robbed...you could also describe what you are witnessing and perhaps assist the department by giving them valuable information that might lead to an arrest...]

you are within your rights to challenge the perps...but not with your gun...you may carry your gun either concealed or openly as the law permits but not use it unless you are threatened with bodily harm...of course you may find out they are armed also and possibly even a quicker and better shot than yourself...

i'm not a fan of "just call your insurance agent" because i am not a fan of paying deductibles and the hassles that go along with insurance claims...i dont think anyone has the right to my stuff and just becasue i "might" be able to replace it with the money the insurance company is going to give me that makes it ok...you have to cough up a $500 deductible because someone likes your stuff and thinks they deserve it and you might think about how much you may have been able to do something nonviolent to stop them...its like saying dont worry about getting beat up your health insurance will cover it....

i would inform them the police who i am on the phone with are on their way and have a description of them and hope they run away without taking anything....if they challenge you at that point well then you have some important decisions to make...as you are releasing the dog with the command "get the bad guys spike!"....i have a feeling they will leave hastily...

whats up with the dog barking and you not checking it out?

"You mileage may vary" and all that........It depends on YOUR state's laws; my home state of Missouri just extended "Castle Doctrine" to the edge of your property, in Texas, especially at night, it is "open season" on thieves. What does Latvia law say.

I don't steal from other people, I expect the same from them. In other words, If possible, I will not allow it.

Warning shots? Depends upon how 'accurate' the warning..."You were warned."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Unfortunately at night the dog barks at other dogs, beaver in the lake behind us, deer walking past etc, so I dont check out every time he barks. Never had a security problem in 3 years here, nor have the neighbours.
    The police would have taken a good while getting here. Even the private security company on the other end of my home alarm system take 10 minutes to respond to an alarm. Maybe they would have been faster if they knew that real bad guys where there for the taking, not just another false alarm.
    Actually the law in Latvia allows one to protect property with a firearm as well as life. All with the appropriate caveats, of course. There was a case a while ago of a politician shooting dead a guy he saw stealing his car with his CCW. The politician got off with no more than a bit of public debate. CCW here is very legal after going through the procedures (similar from US ones from what I can gather), though in reality is practiced by very few, compared to say AZ.

I would never go as far as shooting someone, for boat or car. Different case if my life or that of my dearest was on the line though.
    However, the warning shot would have been well within the law. Just whether it would have been sensible, I still cant answer. Cant help thinking that with a shot, the 2-4 guys on my property at the time would have left like a lightning bolt, never to be seen again. Verbal threats of police on the way, knowing how slow and ineffective the police is at times, might have been more likely to lead to a physical altercation..... they quickly size up the situation....2-4 of us against 1 boat owner. hmmm. Knock him out, we still get our boat and get out of here.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Warning shots are hardly ever a good idea. "I HAVE A GUN, GET OFF MY PROPERTY, I CALLED 911!" may be acceptable. So may the sound of a shotgun being racked (YMMV but I was quite satisfied both times I did it).

Now if you had an impromptu midnight target practice or a negligent discharge into the ground...

But seriously I think the best response would be home mounted illumination. If a flashlight is needed, accompany it with a quick, "BEAT IT!" Works on cockroaches of all varieties.

If I were King, shooting trespassers would be the law of the land. As a homeowner, you shouldn't be required to determine the intent of a trespasser. Don't want to get shot? Stay off other people's property!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    A short time ago, I would have said "No way, in Virginia. You are not in danger of physical harm."

However, see: http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/wb/254276

OTOH, I'd still wait for a higher level court decision on this issue, before I fires a shot. I don't want to be a test case.
    I want Morgan Griffith as my attorney!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Why do you have to get your gun out of the safe at night? If you were awakened by an intruder standing at the doorway to your bedroom, would that still be your best option. Maybe you have one of those Dick Tracy watches, the one that let him stop time so he could better prepare to stop the bad guys in the cartoons. I don't. My HK(s) are within arm's reach of my pillow. I like seeing the glow of the night sights in the darkness.

Know what the law allows where you are.
    In general I don't think warning shots are a good idea. If the law allows it and you are ok with killing someone who is stealing your property, do it. Use of deadly force is not a time for half measures. If the bad guys are armed (remember, you may not be aware of how many there actually are) and you fire a warning shot, they might not hesitate to kill you. If there are two bad guys and their first clue that you are aware of their presence is bad guy number one's brain splattering all over bad guy number two, the odds have just changed dramatically. It is now one on one and your weapon is out and on target.

If you are not prepared to kill over property, call the police and be a good witness. If you have long response times, yelling at them is going to give them that much of a head start on the police. Easier to catch them if their first clue is a K-9 officer yelling at them to not move.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links