What if somebody robbed your pizza driver in your front yard??

This is a discussion on What if somebody robbed your pizza driver in your front yard?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well for one thing, don't "chase" the robbers But I bet it never occured to most people that they are not only asking the delivery ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if somebody robbed your pizza driver in your front yard??

What if somebody robbed your pizza driver in your front yard??

Well for one thing, don't "chase" the robbers
    But I bet it never occured to most people that they are not only asking the delivery driver to risk his/her life every day on the job - they might be risking it on your front lawn and possibly running to your house for help!

Now not me, I wouldn't bang on your door. If I got called to a place and robbed in the driveway I'd have to assume that the homeowner either did not order pizza at all or was involved in the setup.....but what happened happened.

Now, it's my job (as a driver) to have good SA and hopefully avoid being robbed in the first place.
    Would you as the customer be prepared?

Story:
    http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...r-shot-robbers
    September 07, 2010|By Alexia Campbell, Sun Sentinel
    Authorities are searching for four men who robbed a pizza deliveryman and shot his customer in Lake Worth late Monday.

The Papa John's employee was delivering pizza shortly after 10 p.m. in the 4600 block of Gulfstream Road when the men robbed him at gunpoint, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.

After the robbery, the victim ran to the house where he was delivering pizza and asked for help. The homeowner tried to chase away the robbers and was shot in the torso, the Sheriff's Office said.
    http://www.wpbf.com/r/24908129/detail.html

LAKE WORTH, Fla. -- A Lake Worth man was shot while trying to help a pizza deliveryman during a robbery Monday night. Now, there are at least a dozen bullet holes in the front entrance.
    "The pizza man was in the middle of being robbed and the pizza man ran back into the house and numerous shots (were) fired into my house," daughter Jessica Miller said. "After that, you just seen the ripped money on the floor (and) my dad on the ground shot."
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/au...ng-900576.html

The alleged robbers, two armed with semi-automatic weapons, robbed the delivery man, who then ran to Miller's front door and begged for help.

That's when Miller tried to chase the robbers away and was shot, the release said. The men then fled in an unknown vehicle
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    When I order pizza it's because I'm hungry; so I'm keeping an eye/ear out for anyone pulling in the driveway.

This means that before the guy is out of his car I'm already on my feet (and always carrying). Any robbery on my front lawn is likely going to be an epic failure for the perpetrators.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Why would a person think to exit their home and "chase" after a person(s) who moments prior robbed a guy using a firearm?

Honestly I have to wonder do people actually think before they act,or do they just react by emotion alone and what they saw on tv/movies.
    What did dude think he was gonna do if he had caught up with the robbers, or if they choose to not run? Now what...Call Batman?!
    Not a good idea at all. : |

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Why would a person think to exit their home and "chase" after a person(s) who moments prior robbed a guy using a firearm?

Honestly I have to wonder do people actually think before they act,or do they just react by emotion alone and what they saw on tv/movies.
    What did dude think he was gonna do if he had caught up with the robbers, or if they choose to not run? Now what...Call Batman?!
    Not a good idea at all. : |

- Janq
    I do agree with your line of thought, I mean what was he thinking????

But I almost get the impression that "chase" in this story was pretty loosely used by the media. From the pictures of the door, and the daughter's description in the one article, it sounds like a dozen rounds went near their front door - which sounds like the homeowner didn't go far from the doorway.
    I still think slamming the door and moving to the back room would have been better.....maybe he didn't get much of a chance? I wish we could get his story of what happened.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

But I bet it never occured to most people that they are not only asking the delivery driver to risk his/her life every day on the job
    I suppose it can be claimed a person is being asked to risk his/her life for a delivery, but the truth remains that the person chooses to take the job. That's where the choice is made. And, the fact is that people who request deliveries are not setting the method of delivery. Pizza delivery shops make their own choices about how to "equip" drivers with (a) their own cars, (b) no partner, (c) no weapon and (d) the requirement to exit the vehicle and travel to the door of the residence. Doesn't have to be done that way. Those aren't choices I've made by hiring a delivery. Minor point, but let's be sure we know what we're talking about if claims are to be leveled.

If I got called to a place and robbed in the driveway I'd have to assume that the homeowner either did not order pizza at all or was involved in the setup.
    That's an assumption. Might be likely, but then some deliveries are made to crumbling neighborhoods with lots of loiterers, apartments in "the projects," etc. Wouldn't know unless the perps were caught.

Now, it's my job (as a driver) to have good SA and hopefully avoid being robbed in the first place.
    Now you're gettin' the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Would you as the customer be prepared?
    Prepared, as in not requiring change and helping to create the quickest possible exchange? As I recall, the couple of times that I have ever such a delivery, it was done with no change being requested and ~5 seconds required to hand over the items. About all that could be done on my part to make it safer for the driver would be to meet the driver at the curb, but in the days prior to cell phones that wasn't an option.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

When I order a pizza, rare occasion, I'm expecting and alert for the delivery. Therefore I will be armed when the pizza delivery person arrives. If someone is lying in wait for them then they would have to know that pizza is to be delivered to my abode. That makes one think that I'm involved in the nefarious deed.

I can assure you, I'm not involved in the nefarious taking of consumable food stuff from the delivery driver, or the taking of the money. For someone to approach, as the pizza is being delivered, could conceivably happen, but not likely. Don't get between me and my food. To do so places one at considerable risk of injury or death. After my transaction is completed you are free to do what you wish with the delivery person.

I try to limit my defensive mannerisms to "me and mine". While the delivery person is delivering my pizza he or she falls under the mantle of "mine", as they are bringing my food. I've already posted how I feel about MY FOOD!

Biker

VIP Member
    I agree with BikerRN, it sounds like the homeowner would be in on it, OTOH, it could be an inside contact at the Pizza joint. In either case, I would invite the guy in, head to the basement - which has a poured foundation - and call the cops. Only when they give the all clear would I venture out.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Don't get between me and my food. To do so places one at considerable risk of injury or death. After my transaction is completed you are free to do what you wish with the delivery person.

I try to limit my defensive mannerisms to "me and mine". While the delivery person is delivering my pizza he or she falls under the mantle of "mine", as they are bringing my food. I've already posted how I feel about MY FOOD!

Biker
    Take the money, leave the pizza!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Pizza places won't deliver out in my neck of the woods but the Schwan's guy comes out so I'll substitute him for the pizza guy. If he was getting mugged I'd help him out but I don't know what the robbers would do with a; bunch of checks that aren't endorsed.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That's an assumption. Might be likely, but then some deliveries are made to crumbling neighborhoods with lots of loiterers, apartments in "the projects," etc. Wouldn't know unless the perps were caught.
    It's an assumption yes, I said I would assume....
    that either A) someone used a cell phone/unidentified number to order and just chose your particular address for the setup which is why I said the homeowner wouldn't have a clue what was going on, though typically the BG's set drivers up at unoccupied houses or B) You called the driver to your address on purpose, because no one else would know the pizza was coming to that particular place.
    If someone is lying in wait for them then they would have to know that pizza is to be delivered to my abode. That makes one think that I'm involved in the nefarious deed.
    Basically Biker said what I meant.
    It's true that some neighborhoods are crummy, which is why some pizza joints refuse to deliver to certain places.
    Of all the places that I go, apartments are the worst because of all the extra people hanging around and the ample hiding places in the parking lots. Most drivers are well aware of the dangers of an unoccupied house being probable setup, and they ALL know the bad areas of town --- but lets face it I know of several drivers who were set up in rich neighborhoods or mugged at the "nice" apartments. At our store we've actually NOT had any unusual trouble from the "bad side of the tracks" - yet anyway.

Kudos to you guys who are waiting on the delivery guy (person) you'd be amazed at how many people decide to run to the store, or take a nap, or otherwise be unavaliable when I show up. THEN they have to wrangle the kids, and/or the dogs, dig for money, write out a check, run down to the store to break a large bill (another danger sign) etc etc etc. but that's not really what the tread was about.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Sounds to me like the man opened his door to meet the delivery driver and was met by numerous bullets. No chasing involved.

But then again I'm just a simple man, not that well versed in the ways of the world, as are some.

My actions would be highly dependant on whether or not I had received my pizza before the events occurred. :-)
    Before "MY PIZZA GET AWAY"
    Afterwards, Yo, hold down the gunshots, loud noises upset my digestive processes"
    Seriously, If I open the door and shots begin, I return fire while seeking cover. I tend to take exception to bullets coming my direction at high velocity. Otherwise it's 911, and attempt basic first aid if needed.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Someone said something about the homeowner being in on the robbery. I think its worth noting that most robberies and assaults on pizza delivery drivers happen due to an attacker following them from a parking lot near the pizza place.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Is it going down before or after I got my pizza? You would think a bad guy would wait until after the delivery guy had my money unless he wanted a pizza too. Also, if the BG waits until after the pizza is delivered, likely the homeowner is inside chowing down and not in the mix. Either way, the pizza dude can give them his money...I'm not leaving my house to get in the middle of it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links