Mountain Lions! - Page 3

Mountain Lions!

This is a discussion on Mountain Lions! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PastorPack We have a great running/walking trail that goes right behind our place. I use it for my runs. We use it ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Lions!

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    We have a great running/walking trail that goes right behind our place. I use it for my runs. We use it to take the dogs down to the bark park.
    Well the mountain lions have been visiting town again. This past week a mountain lion attacked a goat at veterinarians house (this is a cool story--a donkey actually fought off the lion). A couple of other folks I know have had sightings while they run.

Just one more reason to carry!
    Donkeys are often kept in fields with cattle / sheep / goats etc. just for this purpose.....to protect the flock.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Back in the late sixties my dad a I were deer hunting together and headed for a favorite spot of his. We were walking thru knee high snow and the forest was pretty quiet. I kept getting the feeling that we were being watched. The hair on the back of my neck was standing on end! My dad noticed I kept looking behind us and wanted to know what was wrong. I told him someone or something was watching us, he said I was nuts. We came back the same way we had went earlier in the day and as we came out of the mouth of the canyon we spotted large cougar tracks (about 4 in across). That cougar had followed us for over 1/4 mile and then broke off the stalk and went over the ridge to our left. My dad never commented on my spidery sense again! It has serve me well a few time since those days. I have seen quite a few cougars since those days and they have all went away from me as fast as they could, much to my relief.
    Last edited by gunfighter48; September 22nd, 2010 at 03:35 AM.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    Luckily, mountain lions, unless they are sick or starving, are very timid (hence the nickname "scaredy cats"). They will typically back down from direct retaliation and confrontation. Much like the average criminal, they tend to want the weak and easy kill. I have personally turned back a mountain lion by simply making large hand gestures and screaming at it. I wouldn't recommend this for most predators but this is one animal that will back down from an aggressor.

I'm sure that except in the rarest of circumstances the sound of even the oft disparaged .380 would scare a mountain lion away whether it hits it or not.
    I disagree with this. Where I live Lion numbers have increased exponentially since the outlawing of hunting them with dogs. The idea that they only take out the sick and weak just isn't reality. They take whatever they can catch, including the strong and healthy. They are terrfitorial, and big males especially tend to drive younger animals out of their territory, which means we have them stalking domestic dogs and cats. I know personally of two people who were stalked while hunting by mountain lions who were fully aware of their presence. Both instances ended poorly for the cats

As far as the .380? It would be better than a sharp stick, but as for me, I'll take something bigger....

I prefer being places where I'm at the top of the food chain.

I've never actually seen one in the wild, but came across some VERY fresh cougar tracks before while exploring a dry creek bed with my kids when they were 3 and 5 yrs old. It was before I carried a firearm, and it was quite unsettling. If I see cougar tracks, it better be from the BMW they're driving to happy hour

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

If I see cougar tracks, it better be from the BMW they're driving to happy hour
    God bless cougars.

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    IIf I see cougar tracks, it better be from the BMW they're driving to happy hour
    My preference as well......

- Cam
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post
    loboleather summed it up pretty good. They are pretty sneaky, from my experience. If you have to shoot, don't worry about what you have to shoot at them. When hunted around here they'll often use a 22 or 22mag to finish a treed cat.
    BIG difference between a "treed" cat, scared to death of a pack of barking hounds, and one who's behind you, in midair, aiming to sink its teeth into your neck. That .22 might not be what you want or need at that point.

I have cousins who pop bears with .22 mag, knocking them out of trees with a well-aimed headshot. But I wouldn't recommend that for a pissed-off momma griz.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I've read several stories about these cats attacking hikers, runners and bikers. I have only seen one while hunting the past 30 years and that was in the after noon while sitting on a tree stand. I could not believe it.

Mountian Lions are one reason I recently upgraded from 9mm to .45 ACP. My entire town is located in Lion county, I usually keep to trails that are well worn by people, but hey you never know. I know people who's dogs were taken by lions right out of their backyards.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

I agree - a pistol on a mountain lion? I'll pass. Maybe a 12-gauge with slugs...
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

I think a 357 with good loads would be sufficient.

Oh, we're on mountain lions...... we had an African Lion on the loose in our small town for a couple of days. I went out for a "walk" and didn't see the normal people I see out walking, sitting on porches, working in yards and wondered why everything was so quiet and no people were around. When I got home they told me "oh, one of the LIONS got out and was roaming town so it's not a good idea to go out walking ". Too late to tell me then. I wonder what IF I had turned a corner and saw him standing there...... whoa big boy, uh..... they found him and he just walked into this crate all on his own without any issue at all.

.357 is what I would use on a mountain lion, at least that would be my preference. More penetration and plenty of power to handle them. I sure wouldn't want anything "LESS " than that, although some have been supposedly shot with a .380.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

We have a saying out here where cougar sightings are a pretty common occurence. All you need is a .22 pistol for bear or cougar. Upon confrontation with said beast a well aimed shot at your hiking companion's knee and you're all taken care of.

Seriously -if you see a cougar don't bank on the whole "magnificent nature" experience. If he/she is not immediately giving ground you'd better have your firearm out and ready to go. I've seen them cover ground faster than anything you can even imagine.

We had a junk animal place a few hundred miles south of here a couple years ago raising Ligers and such. A bunch of them got out and were shot by LE and locals.

I reacall hearing that an African Lion can cover 100 yds in about 3 seconds and I suspect that a cougar could do the same. I really would not like the idea of taking on a 5-600lb African Lion with a 357.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I reacall hearing that an African Lion can cover 100 yds in about 3 seconds and I suspect that a cougar could do the same. I really would not like the idea of taking on a 5-600lb African Lion with a 357.
    Me neither, I've seen them videos of them shot with some pretty heavy guns and were still running and attacking for a good distance after that. The one here is a BIG boy too... I'm sure if I had a .357, I would have lost.

I've seen mtn lions and a few other 'cats' run, and they can cover a lot of territory in a flash ...... amazing how fast they can be. I don't think a lot of people realize how fast they really are. I think the best chance to stop them would probably be when they are close, and hope for the best. Bears are not slow either, but they are slower than a mtn lion.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links