10 PM with wife walking to car in street or parking lot from restaurant

This is a discussion on 10 PM with wife walking to car in street or parking lot from restaurant within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 Parking lots at night require your head to be on a constant swivel...wife on weak side arm. Walk away from perceived ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 PM with wife walking to car in street or parking lot from restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Parking lots at night require your head to be on a constant swivel...wife on weak side arm. Walk away from perceived trouble, not into it because you're armed.OMO
    I can see this starting a bit of a tussle with my girlfriend. She's wanting to get her license.

"Why do I have to be on your left side?"

"So my strong-side hand is free, just in case."

"Well what if I want *my* strong-side hand free? You're not the only one with a gun you know."

Heh, just saying.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loboleather View Post
    Predators of normal mental function seek out the stragglers and the weakest. Unfortunately, the human predators that we encounter in our communities are frequently addled by drugs or otherwise unable to select victims wisely.

Behaving in an alert and confident manner will cause most would-be assailants to think twice about attacking. Situational awareness is essential, being aware of everyone and everything around you can make a difference in avoiding an attack or dealing effectively with one. Streets and parking lots frequently have lighting and parked cars so staying in better light and close to vehicles that can be used as cover or barriers can be a good idea.

Another thought is to have your wife wait at the entrance of the restaurant while you retrieve your car and pick her up. This not only provides better protection for her, but allows you to do the necessary for your own safety without having to worry about her during a confrontation.
    This is NEVER an option for me... if my girlfriend/wife/SO./best friends/ are NOT armed... I'm not going to leave them standing alone unarmed, & an easy target. This could be a kidnapping or assault waiting to happen.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I can see this starting a bit of a tussle with my girlfriend. She's wanting to get her license.

"Why do I have to be on your left side?"

"So my strong-side hand is free, just in case."

"Well what if I want *my* strong-side hand free? You're not the only one with a gun you know."

Heh, just saying.
    I could ONLY WISH to hear my g/f say that to me!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I agree, if the wife would be in a regretible situation...she would def.opt for ccw/chl. Talked a BG out of a situation once and never want to go through it again, had similar situation 15 yrs later and at least have that last resort now if needed. Thought once that I would not be able to handle myself ....wrong; trust yourself, educate, stay confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    This is NEVER an option for me... if my girlfriend/wife/SO./best friends/ are NOT armed... I'm not going to leave them standing alone unarmed, & an easy target. This could be a kidnapping or assault waiting to happen.
    I think the suggestion is that she wait just inside the restaurant, not standing on the street corner.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey grunting: That is actually what I meant. Not like I will just leave wife standing in the dark--might as well take her with me. My real question, leaving my wife out of the equation is: At 20 ft facing someone who seems to have bad intentions and refuses to give up on me as I try to avoid him or yell out loud that I am not interested in any kind of altercation, is the next step presenting the firearm? If this is not sufficient for him to hold up his hands indicating he made a mistake, or just enough for him to turn around and leave me alone, and he continues toward me, is the next step the ultimate step? Personally, once I have presented the firearm, I have made a calculated decision that I am within another foot or so of his next action to use my firearm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    For those that disdain the spouse/SO that does not wish active participation in SD, that is certainly their right. Personally I see the intentional exposure of them to violent distrubing media as more likely to injure the relationship then to impart a desire for SD efforts.

The core of our relationship is not based on SD and I feel lucky that it is based on a much broader spectrum. I would certainly not be opposed to her increased interest in SD, but I also will not injure that relationship to force that interest upon her.
    I'm very much with Guantes on this. My wife is neither young nor naive. She knows what's going on out there. She doesn't need me to educate her. Just as I respect war veterans who choose not to carry, I respect her decision on this as well. We've been in tough situations before, and she will most likely freeze. I'm fine with that, as it allows me to plan and anticipate.
    Last edited by WHEC724; September 14th, 2010 at 03:00 PM.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I don't think you want to be presenting you firearm if some guy that looks funny is 20 ft. away you will get in trouble for brandishing unless you can see a gun or knife or deadly weapon in his hands. If he he has not presented a deadly force you can not act like it is. Know the laws for deadly force in your state and act accordingly.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    For those that disdain the spouse/SO that does not wish active participation in SD, that is certainly their right. Personally I see the intentional exposure of them to violent distrubing media as more likely to injure the relationship then to impart a desire for SD efforts.

The core of our relationship is not based on SD and I feel lucky that it is based on a much broader spectrum. I would certainly not be opposed to her increased interest in SD, but I also will not injure that relationship to force that interest upon her.
    more people need to understand this dynamic than do...how one chooses to defend or expose themselves is a personal choice...and should be respected...the situation in the op is an extreme and if you are not prepared for it then it is you who has failed...not your spouse...

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    I don't think you want to be presenting you firearm if some guy that looks funny is 20 ft. away you will get in trouble for brandishing unless you can see a gun or knife or deadly weapon in his hands. If he he has not presented a deadly force you can not act like it is. Know the laws for deadly force in your state and act accordingly.
    i am in total agreement to this...the only actions i see with the description given so far is verbal communication of your desire that the alleged muggers keep space and an attempt to avoid the situation by either retreating the way you came or altering your route and checking for them following...i havent read anything that would indicate a draw is necessary....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links