Hitchhiker and later alarm

This is a discussion on Hitchhiker and later alarm within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On my way home last night (3-11 pm shift) on the gravel road to our house... a hitchhiker... lit him up with the headlights... on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitchhiker and later alarm

Hitchhiker and later alarm

On my way home last night (3-11 pm shift) on the gravel road to our house... a hitchhiker... lit him up with the headlights... on the wrong side of the road... at the entrance to a rural development ... staggering drunk or otherwise under chemical influence. Stephen King look-alike, before King got the thin glasses... Sticks his thumb up in the air... I ignore him... he's about a mile south of my house... it's 11:30 pm.

I get home, lock both the vehicles in the garage... check the perimeter doors, all locked. Told the wife about it. We went to bed.

~2:30 am... our dog barks, in our bedroom, our window is open. Before I close the window and check out all the windows and doors... Heard a "helloooo" from somewhere outside... can't see anything... dog settles down.. no further noises/voices. anything. motion detectors in the yard/drive do not sound, no MD activated exterior lights go on. Back to bed, light sleep.

~3:45 am dog barks again... I start getting dressed... Wife says "take the gun..." "of course" take the gun, the other dog, and the hipower searchlight... patrol the perimeter of the property outside... around the house grounds... not the fields... dog doesn't spook, nothin' out there...

uneventful. just a drunk... shoulda called 911 when I first saw him.. but didn't ... my bad... next time.

So... let's hear what all I shoulda done... besides call 911...

My initial reaction was "a drunk... prolly a domestic argument at the development... decided to get away from the argument.. go for a walk." And, that's probably what it was... If times were slightly different (more "orange"), if the location were not what it was, I would've been much more proactive...

What say you?
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I would have stayed in the house and called the police. No way in hell I'm going outside to look for someone. What good would it have done? You gonna shoot him? Arrest him? I don't mean to sound like a smartass but that was not smart IMHO.

You heard "Helloooooo"?
    I wouldn't be looking outside at 2-3 A.M. for anyone, call the police and let them look.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would have done the same. My property.....I call 911 to bring the body bag.....if needed. Love Tennessee.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    a dog and me.jpgI am the same way, I know how to clear a building/yard, will do so if need be, however, being that I live in the city, clearing my property stops at the doors, if what ever is outside is still outside, I call the police, and release my ninja attack chihuahua (as seen above) to dispatch the threat
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    I would have done the same. My property.....I call 911 to bring the body bag.....if needed. Love Tennessee.
    I'm also a TN resident and I realize we have the castle doctrine on our side, however unless I'm mistaken(which is rare ;) ) I don't think you can kill someone for just being in your yard at night.

Call the police, let them come search for the........lost Wal-Mart greeter(heellloo)??

RKM
    The "hellloo" from outside would have been enough for me to grab my gun and call the police. I'm not going back to bed after that!

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I'm also a TN resident and I realize we have the castle doctrine on our side, however unless I'm mistaken(which is rare ;) ) I don't think you can kill someone for just being in your yard at night.

Call the police, let them come search for the........lost Wal-Mart greeter(heellloo)??
    Which is why I said "if needed". Of course you don't shoot/kill someone just for being on your property. Tha's common sense. Or should be. BUT..should I go to check my property and see why my dog is barking (which I am within my rights doing) and said trespasser makes an aggressive move towards me and I am clearly in "imminent danger"...I have no problem making sure he has a case of fatal fluid leakage.

I live in farm country. Outside city limits. We don't call the police for every bump in the night. We have dogs and we have guns. Then we call the police. The police chief himself gave me sound advice."Just make sure you or anyone in your home is in imminent danger and don't shoot 'em in the back".

Works for me.

Distinguished Member
    I wouldn't have left the relative security of my home leaving my family alone inside.

Someone walking around my home at that hour trying to get my attention, will!
    Call the cops and sit guard in the house until they clear the outer perimeter.
    Certified Glock Armorer

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I wouldn't call 911 for a drunk, that's an emergency number. Why wander outside into what could be a set up? Call the nonemergency number and wait for the police. If he attempts to gain entry, take appropriate action.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

My property.....I call 911 to bring the body bag.....if needed. Love Tennessee.
    I have no problem making sure he has a case of fatal fluid leakage.
    Then we call the police. The police chief himself gave me sound advice."Just make sure you or anyone in your home is in imminent danger and don't shoot 'em in the back".
    Works for me.
    looks like you can't wait to blow someones head off..... You are going to go search your property at night knowing someone is out there? Is your property really that valuable that it's worth possibly being killed.

Sounds like you're intentionally putting yourself in a dangerous position but it's perfectly fine because the police chief says you can blow someones head off(just not in the back) Good luck Rambo

I too live in farm country, well outside "city" limits... and about 3 miles from a town of 800... 911 is to me, an emergency number... A drunk, hitchhiking and staggering, and falling, and hitchhiking again... is not an emergency. I determined from my first "encounter" with him on the road (seing him when I passed), what his "deal" was... My mistake was trusting that judgement to the extent I did.

My house sits close to the road (about 80 feet). This is why I heard the "hellloooo" He was probably just walking along the road, having had time and exercise to sober up some...

I agree, I had no reason to leave the house, except to shut up the dogs and let them see there was nuttin' there.

As a "singular event" with no advance encounter to give a (true or false) sense of security... "oh, that drunk has found his way this far... hmmm." I would not have ventured out, would not have gone back to bed. But, in what has been called the "totality of the situation," I made a decision that the sound, the voice, the dogs barking... added up to a benign situation.

Yes... it could have been a set up... In our current national/regional/local state of affairs, where I am in a "mid yellow" state most of the time.. spiking into "orange/low red" from time to time, I didn't think it was likely to be a red event... I gambled on my "gut feel", and this time I won.

Now, the thing that has me concerned, I guess, is that someone (like I consider myself) who is reasonably situationally aware, and thinks that they have a good grasp of situations as they occur (IOW doesn't jump into RED RED RED in every situation) is gonna get caught off guard someday.

OTOH, if every event that is benign causes RED ALERT... you get so many false alarms, that the alarms tend to become nuisance alarms, and you might ignore them or the wrong one...

I'm looking for balance.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Oakchas (quote)
    "Now, the thing that has me concerned, I guess, is that someone (like I consider myself) who is reasonably situationally aware, and thinks that they have a good grasp of situations as they occur (IOW doesn't jump into RED RED RED in every situation) is gonna get caught off guard someday."

With the myraid of possibilities and people, I see that as inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    looks like you can't wait to blow someones head off..... You are going to go search your property at night knowing someone is out there? Is your property really that valuable that it's worth possibly being killed.

Sounds like you're intentionally putting yourself in a dangerous position but it's perfectly fine because the police chief says you can blow someones head off(just not in the back) Good luck Rambo
    Intentionally looking to? Far from it. Willing to do so if I have to? Absolutely. Oh yea, I also OC 100% of the time.

But thanks for the well wishes junior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links