company i work for stupid policy

This is a discussion on company i work for stupid policy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So the company i work for has an alarm policy that states if the alarm at the store goes off reguarless of time of night ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: company i work for stupid policy

company i work for stupid policy

So the company i work for has an alarm policy that states if the alarm at the store goes off reguarless of time of night that instead of the police responding to the alarm the alarm company is to call the store manager and he\she is to respond. Being the manager of the store that means me i live aprx 1 hour away from my store so by me responding it takes minumum of an hour which gives the BG plenty of browsing time but forgetting that stupidity what if there were in fact BG's robbing the store i come pulling up thinking its another false alarm (I always aproach slowly and very alert to whats going on because you never know) but my bigger question is what if a manager were to be injured or killed while responding to the alarm. I just have major issues with not having the police do there job but instead instead a civi in to investigate

2. Remove Ads

No way am I responding to a security alarm in the middle of the night. If my company wants me there....fine...but I'm not approaching a building/store without the police clearing it first. That is really a stupid policy.

VIP Member
    See, what this is really about is false alarms and not wanting to put in good equipment or pay the fines. Now, count yourself lucky the company doesn't try to tell you that as a condition of your employment you must move within 5 minutes travel distance from the store. They can do that of course. So, I'd keep quiet about it and find a safer job if possible.

Another example of why employment at will should have gone with the horse and buggy.

I agree i would not have such an issue if they just wanted me to respond as well but without police there i just dont see my self clearing a 5000 sq foot parts wearhouse with 1000's of places to hide and hundreds of shelves to climb on etc. thats what bothers me the most is they dont seem to understand that i am NOT a police officer and it is not my job to clear buildings and such. The other part of my rant is i carry when i roll up to the store how many managers do not carry when they show up and just prance one into it like nothing could possible go wrong?

Does the community your company is in have a policy of charging a fine for false alarms? If so this would seem to be a not well thought out way to save them money. Just guessing.

Michael

Yes they do charge a fine after the 3rd false alarm so the company feels that by sending the store manger out they will not get the fine though i just have to right it off to the store and it comes out of my P&L so i end up paying for it somehow. And no they dont require managers to live within X amount of store to be employed there if they did that i would be job hunting not house hunting cause the store is right between the hood and a rough patch

You get the call....call police....go back to bed.....done wit it lol
    RUGER SR9 IN CROSSBREED SUPERTUCK DAILY

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I like Maine's solution.

Bottom line here is the contract with the monitoring company. There's a dollar figure associated with making that call to the police, and your company is unwilling to pay that dollar figure, or does not adequately negotiate to get a call to the cops figured into the price.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by MAINE0388 View Post
    You get the call....call police....go back to bed.....done wit it lol
    haha i like that idea but i also really like my job short of some of there less brilliant ideas and to not respond is grounds for termination

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Does the community your company is in have a policy of charging a fine for false alarms? If so this would seem to be a not well thought out way to save them money. Just guessing.

Michael
    A lot of cities charge a fine for false alarm calls after a certain number.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Look at the bright side. When you are killed responding to an alarm your heirs will become rich after winning the multi-million dollar law suit from corporate headquarters. Try to picture this as a glass hafl full situation instead of half empty. Don't be so negative.

Michael

VIP Member
    To be an effective manager, you must learn to delegate
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    To be an effective manager, you must learn to delegate
    Yes but theres only one problem im salary my asst is hourly so id have to give him more OT for that and well the big bosses dont like that idea so its me me and well me but i do like your thought process

Quote Originally Posted by wolf88 View Post
    ... instead of the police responding to the alarm the alarm company is to call the store manager and he\she is to respond.
    The company is valuing your life below that of paying the fee for frequent "false" alarms. They're willing to allow a 1hr gap in their alarm system. And they're likely to get seriously bent out of shape if they find that you carry a shotgun and pistol to such a late-night run to the store. IMO, the problem should be fixed, instead of chasing symptoms and putting lives at risk.

Shows you where you are on the food chain. Shows the company's level of concern for your life.

Likely, they haven't thought about any of these things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

i agree they dont value my/any others lifes above a 50 dollar fine and yes they probably would get bent out of shape if the found out theres a 21 on my hip and moss 500 under back seat but do they really just expect me to walk on in without arming my self

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links