Ohhh those french canadians...

This is a discussion on Ohhh those french canadians... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Handguns can be taken into Canada for sporting purposes and we host competitions that attract American shooters. I, as a Canadian, have all the ATF ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Ohhh those french canadians...

VIP Member
    Handguns can be taken into Canada for sporting purposes and we host competitions that attract American shooters.

I, as a Canadian, have all the ATF and RCMP paperwork required to take preapproved firearms and ammunition across the border in both directions. As a non US citizen, I cannot acquire firearms in the US. I don't know how it works with "Green Card" holders.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

Double post...
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Don't know how he would have a shotgun unless he has dual citizenship and either has a place nearby or friends/family. Also keep in mind I never actually saw a gun so he could have just been blowing smoke. I wasn't able to notify anyone that day or the next since we were camping in an area that's pretty much a "dead zone" for cell phones and I wasn't going out of my way to find a phone or cell service, probably should have in hindsight but I wasn't going to let this jerk ruin my weekend.

My thought was when I go back by the next day if the gate is locked I was going to stuff a piece of wet tissue paper in the lock keyhole, he would never get that lock open again and he himself would be locked in. When I went back by the next day tho he was gone and the gate was open. Kind of childish to but I thought about going back at night and pooping in the cab of his bucket loader
    Regoria75 likes this.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

haha Actually laughed out loud there. Glad you kept you head and everything turned out fine. he should be glad too!
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Canadian Living in GA

To start off, I am a Canadian citizen (English not French), living in the south (GA) for 5 years. I am a permanent resident (Green Card holder) and will apply for US citizenship (dual) as soon as I can in another year or so.

With the exception of hunting, competition & LEO, firearms are basically not legally allowed in Canada. I believe that with the exception of LEOs and some competitions, handguns are not allowed long guns only. All owners must have a permit (with training) and all firearms must be registered. There are some differences I believe in different parts of the country.

Unless you are a hunter or LEO, most Canadians are not very firearm comfortable or knowledgeable. Frankly, most Canadians look at US gun laws as a reason for why crime is so high in the US. I used to be one of those people!

There are three factors that I came to better understand, when I moved south of the boarder and got a permit:

1. BGs in Canada dont need a permit & they seem to be able to get whatever type of firearm they want.
    2. I dont think that crime per capita is actually higher in the US.
    3. I am the first line of defense for me and my family

So now I live in the US (GA) I have had my GFL (or whatever the new name for it is) for about a year now. I carry concealed 100% of the time that I can legally do so, and I have and continue to take regular training. To purchase a firearm here in GA, I have to show my Green Card and 3 months of utility bills (showing a consistent residence). Of course all that whet away when I got my permit.

Coming from an environment where I am limited in protecting myself and family, to one where I can, I have a strong appreciation for being able to legally carry.

I am proud to be a Canadian and will always be one, but I am also looking forward to being able to be a US citizen. Part of this is due to the right that I now have to carry and protect me and mine.
    JoJoGunn, gdolson and pittypat21 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Sounds like a real tool.

Next time bring a pair of bolt cutters. ;)
    AND a nice lock to lock up after you leave

VIP Member
    What a weird experience. The moment I found myself deliberately locked in and dealing with such a hostile dude, I'd be pretty darn deep in fear of my life and my friend's life. When he said "shotgun" I think I might have just gotten in my car and tried to gun it through the fence. I don't think I would have the poise to stay around.

Are you certain you didn't somehow wander into Canadian territory? Is that possible? Might that be why he was so irritable?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think I might have just gotten in my car and tried to gun it through the fence. I don't think I would have the poise to stay around.
    Nah...don't damage your car because of this imbecile. Just use your Trunk Monkey.
    gduplessy likes this.

^ haha trunk monkey! Yea it's possible but I'm 100% sure I wasn't in Canada. I was at least 15 miles from the border. There are a lot of dirt roads that lead into Canada without checkpoints so technically you could wind up in Canada and not know it but I was on Vermont state land and there was signs on the trees that state that.

I probably could have attached my snatch strap to the my jeep and then to the gate and ripped it open, that was my next step if I couldn't get him to open it but trying to drive through a steel gate probably wouldn't have ended to well for me.

After he calmed down a bit and told me to give him $20 to open the gate I knew this guy was a joke. I didn't relax any I still had my hand on the grip of my revolver but he quickly figured out I'm not some punk pushover and things could go very badly for him. I wonder how many people hes suckered in to give him money to be let out. makes me wonder if that's his scam, he tries to scare people into giving him some extra cash for there freedom.

you do realise that he was technically holding you and your girlfriend hostage dont you
    pittypat21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by abjz71 View Post
    you do realise that he was technically holding you and your girlfriend hostage dont you
    That was something I thought of as well, but for some reason left off my original post. From what I heard, I saw False Imprisonment, extortion, and assault and/or terroristic threats (he threatened you with a shotgun, you had no reason to believe he wouldn't carry it out, that constitutes assault in most places.)
    CIBMike likes this.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Yea well it ended safely and hindsight is 20/20...I thought I handled it pretty well I really had no other options.

It sounds like you did well. A good combination of calmness and determination.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Hmm I wonder if he was doing some smuggling? maybe his wife cut off his poutine supply!

As for people coming to Canada for a camping trip, get yourself a nice 18.5"-20" barreled shotgun and fill out the correct paperwork, bring some ammo as well, just follow the rules and you be ok.

My Canadian cousins in Alberta do not like Quebeckers, period. They think Quebec should be carved off from Canadian soil and a large wall placed around it to keep them out of Canada.

This is just the "lighter" version of how they really feel.

You did well, although I don't understand this Frenchie. He was on AMERICAN soil and griping about @#$%^&* Americans? If he was in WV and got capped for attitude, the defense mechinism for the shooter would be, He probably needed killin'!

Most French Canucks I have met are either a@@holes to the 10th power or they are not. I do not believe there is any middle ground with them.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links