Ohhh those french canadians... - Page 4

Ohhh those french canadians...

This is a discussion on Ohhh those french canadians... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An intriguing story. I know this is an old thread but I just stumbled on it. I work for a Quebec based company (but I ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Ohhh those french canadians...

An intriguing story. I know this is an old thread but I just stumbled on it. I work for a Quebec based company (but I am American and live in Texas) and have spent a lot of time up in Quebec City. I know many have had bad experiences with the folks on the French side, but I've been blessed to have experienced the opposite.

The reason for my search which got me here to this thread, and I think it's been pretty well answered was what might be involved, if it is possible at all, to temporarily have in one's possession a handgun while entering Canada. I think the question has been answered. I've never contemplated making a trip to Canada and carrying my handgun across the border, but, I am anticipating a trip to Glacier National Park for a hiking/photographing holiday in the future. That National Park is on the border. Chances of actually crossing the border to enter the part of the park which is on the Canadian side is probably not great. In the remote possibility that something would entice us to do so, for a short time, what would I do with my carry handgun?

Not take it on the trip at all? Or, would there be an option to leave it at some secure location at or before the border? If we did cross the border it would only be for a day or two at most and just to the park area. I've seen the linked to info which outlines the process of temporarily registering a firearm but I take it that applies to long guns only. Not handguns. I would not be expecting to conceal carry the handgun in Canada. Unloaded and locked in the car would be fine. Still a no-go I presume.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I apologize in advance if I hurt anybody's feelings, but having lived in central Florida for the last 20 yrs. I can say that most of the Canadian snowbirds I have met were the most disgusting people on earth next to New Yorkers. They are pushy, cheap and arrogant, drive like they are the only ones on the road and talk loudly about Americans as if they were invisible. They complain about everything and everyone in this country, which makes me wonder why they come here in the first place. The only thing they all seem to agree upon, is how bad Canadian socialized medicine is. Thanks Obama, for fixing our system!

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I apologize in advance if I hurt anybody's feelings, but having lived in central Florida for the last 20 yrs. I can say that most of the Canadian snowbirds I have met were the most disgusting people on earth next to New Yorkers. They are pushy, cheap and arrogant, drive like they are the only ones on the road and talk loudly about Americans as if they were invisible. They complain about everything and everyone in this country, which makes me wonder why they come here in the first place. The only thing they all seem to agree upon, is how bad Canadian socialized medicine is. Thanks Obama, for fixing our system!
    Having had some experience with both Canadians and New Yorkers I just have to say your paintbrush is a bit too broad GunGeezer.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I can attest to this as I lived in Naples Florida for 8 years and go back there often since that is where my parents decided to stay and live. And having worked in the restaurants for so long down there... I can say with an undying passion that I despise most "snow birds" to include people from Canada, Germany, France, New York, and New Jersey.

In my experience, some of the best people in the world are Canadians. Some of the worst people in the world are French Canadians.

I started reading the original post and half way through I was waiting for the punch line. I was sure this had to be a joke. Wierd situation to be sure.

Too bad you couldn't have just gone all wild west and shot the lock off after he threatened you and tried to extort you. Then you could have just smiled as he looked on in astonishment.

I'm not so sure I would have handled it quite so well, even though I would want to. I'm irritated just knowing people act this badly, much less a visitor. Good for you.

However, you most definitely should have called in the police IMHO.

I still want to know what the hole was for.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    So he digs a hole and then tempts you to fill it? Not a very bright fellow. We have lots of open gold mine shafts around here, probably a lot of bones in some of them.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    wow some people just are so ridiculous... "O'r in Canaidia wez don't have guns, I don't care who I tick off cuz they can't shoot me if I get aggressive"

DID anyone else catch this.... WHY DOES A CANADIAN have a SHOTGUN... is he aloud to do that?
    He most likely did all his paperwork, along with the 3 months of current bills, Resident Aleien card in order to get the shotgun. I'd say he's living close to the Property he was working on, and doesn't know how the Laws work in this Country.
    We see it all the time at the Store. They attempt to purchase firearms and can't understand how our Laws work. They CAN purchase optics and various items, including air guns under 500 FPS. They still but ammo and such, and if they get caught with contraband at the Border, it gets confiscated.
    The guy you ran into hasn't a clue. but that's the mentality of living in that area. I've done surveillance in VT, around Highgate Springs, St A, St J, Derby Line and some people come out with shotguns in hand, thinking it's a BG but by that time, I've got all the video I need, and drive off.
    That Canuck will run into the the Law at some point in time and he'll pay for it.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Yep, them Canucks can sure be trouble, eh??
    Yeah ya dirty hosers, I hated playing against French Canadian's in hockey those diving pukes. It's like have a whole sheet of Sedin's and Burrow's
    grav likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danwdooley View Post
    An intriguing story. I know this is an old thread but I just stumbled on it. I work for a Quebec based company (but I am American and live in Texas) and have spent a lot of time up in Quebec City. I know many have had bad experiences with the folks on the French side, but I've been blessed to have experienced the opposite.

The reason for my search which got me here to this thread, and I think it's been pretty well answered was what might be involved, if it is possible at all, to temporarily have in one's possession a handgun while entering Canada. I think the question has been answered. I've never contemplated making a trip to Canada and carrying my handgun across the border, but, I am anticipating a trip to Glacier National Park for a hiking/photographing holiday in the future. That National Park is on the border. Chances of actually crossing the border to enter the part of the park which is on the Canadian side is probably not great. In the remote possibility that something would entice us to do so, for a short time, what would I do with my carry handgun?

Not take it on the trip at all? Or, would there be an option to leave it at some secure location at or before the border? If we did cross the border it would only be for a day or two at most and just to the park area. I've seen the linked to info which outlines the process of temporarily registering a firearm but I take it that applies to long guns only. Not handguns. I would not be expecting to conceal carry the handgun in Canada. Unloaded and locked in the car would be fine. Still a no-go I presume.
    Glacier Natl Park is HUGE, you could spends your entire vacation there exploring beautiful country on the US side, without worrying about crossing into Canada. DO NOT attempt to sneak a handgun across the Border, whether a marked, or unmarked Border crossing---if you get caught, you WILL NOT like what happens next..........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I have a great deal for experience dealing with French Canadians and cheap, rude and slow sums up the vast majority who visit the US (I have never been to Quebec). Many restaurants here in South Florida have to add the tip to the check because they are such terrible tippers and man does this drive them crazy to have to pay 15%. But fact is they are such bad tippers no restaurant would retain servers just relying on tips. My wife worked for a restaurant that didn't add the tip and she would routinely receive .50 to under $2 on $30 and $40 dollar bills, needless to say she didn't work there long.

They are horrendous drivers! We have round-a-bouts and it is very comical to watch them navigate, think 98 yr old lady with think glasses who can barely see over the steering wheel. They often lock up from confusion and nearly shut down, they will completely stop in traffic!!!! Hilarious! Once again, they spend 5 1/2 months a year here and own a lot of business so culture shock cannot be the excuse.

All of this isn't so bad and some of it is quite funny but the rudeness really get me. Just so pushy and snobby!

I really want to clarify that I understand I am stereotyping. I have met some really good people that were French Canadian and the younger generation seems to be trending for the better. I also want to clarify the number of them that match some or all of the above is astounding!

VIP Member
    You should have told him the Brits in Canada feel the same way about the French Canadians. I'm sure that would have calmed him down.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I commend you for keeping it together.
    NRA Lifetime Member
    =“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” -George Orwell
    ="If you are more than 20 feet from your weapon while reading this thread you are doing it wrong." -Myself

VIP Member
    I did not have a pleasant encounter with a French Canadian lady ( i mean Hag ) She pushed my sons wheelchair out of the way and we were standing still .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    I did not have a pleasant encounter with a French Canadian lady ( i mean Hag ) She pushed my sons wheelchair out of the way and we were standing still .
    You met the wrong French Canadian lady. Try this one and get into "The Power of Love":
    Céline Dion - The Power Of Love - YouTube
    welder516 likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links