Ohhh those french canadians...

This is a discussion on Ohhh those french canadians... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happen to me a about a month ago and I had some free time today So I thought I would share a little story. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Ohhh those french canadians...

This happen to me a about a month ago and I had some free time today So I thought I would share a little story.

My girlfriend and I have been together for almost 5 years now. I have been trying to get her to start carrying for the past couple years especially since shes very comfortable with guns and you don't need a permit to CC here in Vermont but she says she just doesn't feel the need and I'm here to protect her, I haven't pushed it hard, if she doesn't want to she doesn't want to. With that being said she loves to shoot and hunt. We go to the range all the time, go hunting together etc...

We live right next to the Canadian border. So we were driving up through the country looking for a place to camp (not hard to find in Vermont) when I pull onto a dirt road that goes back onto state land. State land here is open to all types of recreation, shooting, hunting, camping etc... I pass an old rusted gate wide open with brush growing around it (gate hadn't been closed in some time). The road winds through the woods and opens up into a big field. Theirs a bucket loader digging a giant hole way out in the middle of the field I kept driving a couple hundred more feet to a stream and pulled over to go check it out and see if it was a decent camping spot.

The road is a single lane dirt road so I pulled over with 2 wheels on the grass and 2 still on the road so if anyone else came they could get by. We walked around for 15 min or so and decided we would keep looking for a better spot. So I turn around and start heading back the way I came and I get to that gate and it's closed. So I turn around and drove the road back the other way to see if I could get out that way but a couple miles past the river where we stopped it dead ends. So I drive back to the gate looking for a way out. I look over at the guy off in the distance on the bucket loader and he had driven his dodge through the field and parked next to where he was working. I drove my jeep following his truck path that was already there over to the bucket loader.

He turns toward me, shuts off the bucket loader and crosses his arms as if he was saying "what do you want". I asked him "did you shut the gate" he says "yep" I said "could you open it please?" (being very polite). In his thick french Canadian accent he says "no chance in hell" I was stunned I didn't know what to say so I sat there for a minute and just looked at my girlfriend. I asked him if there was another way out and he said no. I asked him why he shut it and this sets him off. He jumps out of the bucket loader and as hes walking over to my jeep He's yelling " you stupid Americans you think you can drive on the grass and do whatever you want when you want I hate this disgusting country I'm proud to say I'm not from here"

So now I get it, this guy is working just over the border and hes Canadian and pissed looking to take it out on someone. So I said is this your land I'm sorry (figuring it must of been his property but there was no posted signs only state land signs) he says no I hate America it's filled with trash and litter and people like you. I have quite a temper but in the past years I have learned to control it which is good cause I was about ready to knock this guys teeth out. He's yelling at me for parking on the grass when hes digging a massive hole in the middle of a field. I said so your not going to open the gate then? He says nope you can find another way out. I start to explain to him that he's mad in the first place because I parked on the grass on public land and that in order for me to get out I would have to drive all the way across the field to the other side. After I said that he starts going for his truck and says your not going to drive anywhere in this field I have a shotgun for people like you!

OK...so now I put my hand on my .357 as hes going for his truck and I say to myself if I see a shotgun start to come out of the truck I'm unloading on this guy. He pulls out a key chain and says give me $20 and I will let you out or I'm calling the police. I started laughing hysterically and said I will wait until the police arrive you just told me you hate America and you threatened me with a shotgun, all I did was park on the grass I'm curious to see how this turns out tough guy. He stares me down for a minute mutters something under his breath and jumps in his truck and drives over to the gate. I slowly follow him keeping my distance. He gets out of the truck (I'm looking and making sure he doesn't have a weapon) unlocks the gate, swings it open and yells something but I couldn't tell what. I drive out safe and sound.

I didn't have any cell service in the mountains where we were so calling the cops right off was out of the question it was just me and him. Also when I asked if it was his land he said no so I then asked him how he got a lock for the gate if it wasn't his land and he replied "I bring my own lock for people like you". This guy was absolutely ridiculous, he was having a bad day or a bad life and I just happened to be in the wrong place to be his anger outlet. That's the closest I have ever came to shooting anyone and I tell you there was no doubt in my mind if I saw anything resembling a shotgun come out of that truck I would have shot him.

Two positive things came from this. My girlfriend now carries a colt detective special EVERYWHERE she goes. I learned yet again that keeping my cool and not antagonizing and getting into a brawl (which I would have loved to do with this jerk) with the guy led to another happy ending.
    Last edited by Adkjoe; September 15th, 2010 at 09:35 AM.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

VIP Member
    Yep, them Canucks can sure be trouble, eh??
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

wow, he must have been having a bad day/life

well lucky your verbal judo worked out, and u didnt have to get in to anything messy with cops showing up or lead flying any where.

good job!

Distinguished Member
    Sounds like a real tool.

Next time bring a pair of bolt cutters. ;)
    DontTreadOnI and Ghost1958 like this.

Great story. Glad everything turned out well and your girlfriend carries now! Funny how some folks just have bad days isn't it? Sounds like you handled it perfectly to me though. I know a handful of 'nadians and they all have dual citizenship here.. Go figure huh!
    Stay safe and congrats on finding the situation that put your girlfriend over the fence to the safe side.
    If you think you'll lose, you're lost
    For out in the world you'll find
    Success begins with a fellow's will
    It's all in the state of mind.

TVJ
    well done.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

VIP Member
    What a Hoser!
    goldshellback likes this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Thanks guys. By this guys actions and body language I really thought he was going to pull a shotgun out and try and intimidate me. It was like a movie, I expected to see the butt of a gun sliding out of the driver-side of his truck but he pulled out a key chain instead. My logic here was I'm not going to expose my gun until absolutely necessary because I didn't know weather he actually had a weapon or not or if he was just blowing smoke. I thought if I pulled out my gun when he went to his truck and the cops did get involved down the road somehow he could say I threatened him with a gun and they would believe him because otherwise how would he know I was armed if I didn't brandish it? If he didn't actually have a weapon he could of made me look really bad to the cops. He could have said he threatened me with a big silver gun and it just so happens I have a big silver gun, who would you believe? So I decided to keep my hand on the butt until I was sure of this guys intentions. I practice drawing my firearm A LOT and was confident I could draw and fire before he could pull it all the way out of the truck aim and fire at me. I didn't have doors on my Jeep at the time either so it would have been a clean draw and fire right from my vehicle. At least that was my logic thank god I didn't have to test that logic
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I hope he realizes that talking like that to the wrong person or people might land his lifeless corpse in the bottom of that hole he's digging. There are plenty of gangbangers and wannabe's sitting in the prison system for being "dissed."
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    I hope he realizes that talking like that to the wrong person or people might land his lifeless corpse in the bottom of that hole he's digging. There are plenty of gangbangers and wannabe's sitting in the prison system for being "dissed."
    I hope so to but I doubt it. Even my girlfriend mentioned it's a huge step for me that I was able to keep my cool while being talked to like that I've come a long way. I was getting ready to get out of the Jeep and have some face to face words with this classy citizen until he mentioned shotgun then I knew it was a whole different ballgame and I better keep my head clear and forget about all the name calling and crap he was spewing cause this could turn ugly really quick.

Vermont is a pretty laid back place and well over 90% of the residents have guns and the people that LIVE here are smart enough to know this. This guy comes from a place where almost no one has guns, he's lucky he ran into me instead of some hot headed country boys because not many people will stand being talked to like that and like you said theres plenty of people in prison for being "dissed".

You did call the cops when you got into cell range, right?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    What a Hoser!

maybe he was just having a bad day, eh?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    wow some people just are so ridiculous... "O'r in Canaidia wez don't have guns, I don't care who I tick off cuz they can't shoot me if I get aggressive"

DID anyone else catch this.... WHY DOES A CANADIAN have a SHOTGUN... is he aloud to do that?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    wow some people just are so ridiculous... "O'r in Canaidia wez don't have guns, I don't care who I tick off cuz they can't shoot me if I get aggressive"

DID anyone else catch this.... WHY DOES A CANADIAN have a SHOTGUN... is he aloud to do that?

I carry when down south.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

GunnyBunny, maybe you can answer this. I thought Canada had a huge gun culture. I think I remember reading somewhere that there are more guns per capita than in the U.S. Is that not true?
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links