Not really a gun issue..

Not really a gun issue..

This is a discussion on Not really a gun issue.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This story was related to me by a co-worker. The co-workers neighbor said that last week his dog, a large boxer woke him up in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not really a gun issue..

Not really a gun issue..

This story was related to me by a co-worker.
    The co-workers neighbor said that last week his dog, a large boxer woke him up in the middle of the night. The guy looks out his window and sees that there are two guys breaking into his van. He turns the dog loose and the dog goes after one of the guys. The homeowner then chases down the other guy, they struggle, the homeowner gets the guy down, gives him a couple of good shots, and eventually the BG gets away.
    Meanwhile the dog has the first guy down, and is shaking him by the clothes pretty good. Eventually he gets away too.

It seems they were going from house to house breaking into cars with a girl friend driving a car down the road so they could load the booty into the car and move to the next house. My co-workers house would have been next.

The next day a pawn shop owner in the next town calls the police because he is suspicious. They end up catching the two guys.

So here's the question: You can't use force to protect property, but is it OK to loose a dog on a thief? Is the homeowner at risk for letting the dog out? Is he at risk because he left his property and "assaulted" the bad guy?

The force and the dog were not used to protect property, they were attempting to detain vehicle burglars for the police.

isn't that the whole point of a guard dog :p?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member
    "I peeked out the front door to see what the commotion was and the dog got loose. I went to chase after him when I was confronted by the suspects."

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    "I peeked out the front door to see what the commotion was and the dog got loose. I went to chase after him when I was confronted by the suspects."
    exactly....
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Good solution!

In Texas it is legal to shoot a fleeing robber (at night, running away with your stuff) to protect your property.....

...not saying I would, but it is legal.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    In Texas it is legal to shoot a fleeing robber (at night, running away with your stuff) to protect your property.....

...not saying I would, but it is legal.
    My guess is NO. Not even to "detain" him... Yelling "stop, or I'll shoot!" Might get him to stop, if he's inexperienced... then you can walk up to him and detain him (highly unlikely in any case) ... otherwise, he's gonna keep running.... with the knowledge that if you shoot, you'd be the one in trouble. And, your chances of hitting the target diminish with distance...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    My guess is NO. Not even to "detain" him... Yelling "stop, or I'll shoot!" Might get him to stop, if he's inexperienced... then you can walk up to him and detain him (highly unlikely in any case) ... otherwise, he's gonna keep running.... with the knowledge that if you shoot, you'd be the one in trouble. And, your chances of hitting the target diminish with distance...
    This was NOT a question....In Texas it is legal to shoot a fleeing robber (at night, running away with your stuff) to protect your property.....

-Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    This story was related to me by a co-worker.
    The co-workers neighbor said that last week his dog, a large boxer woke him up in the middle of the night. The guy looks out his window and sees that there are two guys breaking into his van. He turns the dog loose and the dog goes after one of the guys. The homeowner then chases down the other guy, they struggle, the homeowner gets the guy down, gives him a couple of good shots, and eventually the BG gets away.
    Meanwhile the dog has the first guy down, and is shaking him by the clothes pretty good. Eventually he gets away too.

It seems they were going from house to house breaking into cars with a girl friend driving a car down the road so they could load the booty into the car and move to the next house. My co-workers house would have been next.

The next day a pawn shop owner in the next town calls the police because he is suspicious. They end up catching the two guys.

So here's the question: You can't use force to protect property, but is it OK to loose a dog on a thief? Is the homeowner at risk for letting the dog out? Is he at risk because he left his property and "assaulted" the bad guy?
    If BGs don't want to get hurt by homeowners (or their dogs)...they should find a safer line of work...that doesn't involve robbing people of their money or property.

Otherwise, it should be viewed as an occupational hazard....tough cookies.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    If BGs don't want to get hurt by homeowners (or their dogs)...they should find a safer line of work...that doesn't involve robbing people of their money or property.

Works for me.....

-Will Rogers

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Are the BGs complaining? Too bad.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

If more BG's were injured in the line of duty it may make others reconsider their career options.

Biker

VIP Member
    How's the dog?

Hope he didn't get sick from chewing on those rotten thieves.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    This was NOT a question....In Texas it is legal to shoot a fleeing robber (at night, running away with your stuff) to protect your property.....
    whoops.. my bad... really? wow.. so, to the OP's question... if you could shoot him, you should be able to assault him with fists, tire irons, whatever.... Heck, throwing axes, why not? odd. lucky you on the law, Texas... whoa.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links