What is your worst-case scenario - Page 2

What is your worst-case scenario

This is a discussion on What is your worst-case scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A knife. Hate them....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your worst-case scenario

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A knife. Hate them.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A "Home Invasion," or a "No Knock" Warrant Service at the wrong address.

Hesitate on one maybe you're dead. Hesitate on the other maybe you survive.

React promptly on one and maybe you survive. React promptly on the other and maybe you're dead.

You have a split second to decide.

Me cowarding down and allowing harm to come to my wife, children or grand children.
    i work with 250 "at risk youth" (do your own translation) 16 to 19 years of age that live at our facility for 5 1/2 moths. That's two cycles per year. I have no problem jumping in the middle of of a gang brawl to protect the little idiots I work with. I do it on a daily basis.
    You never know what your reaction will be to a given situation...no matter how much you train.
    When things get really bad it boils down to a mind set more than training. I know that many proffesionals will disagree with me. Thats ok. Training is a good thing. There ain't nohting wrong with having a plan. Plans just don't last long enough after things go bad. Having a tough mind set does. Think on your feet. Don't let failure be an option. Go home alive.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

A scenario I do worry about is one I have read about in Southern Florida.
    Armed dirtbags targeting people leaving for work in the morning. Arms full, walking out to the car, or out of the garage to the car, and a surprise attack from the sides.
    It is something that many wouldn't expect, but I worry about it every time I leave in the morning. I work in a school, so it is the only time I couldn't be armed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A night-time home invasion...with a couple of armed BGs upstairs with my children.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A knife. Hate them.

I'm with ya

I worry about a robbery (or disgruntled employee) at work because we only have one entrance/exit. If they are at the front there is very little escape and we're not "allowed" to carry at work. We store a ladder in the bathroom, with which you could probably escape via the ceiling to another part of the building, but doing it quickly under high stress doesn't make it a very good option.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

AzB
    My worst case scenario is a bad guy in a public place that just walks up and with no warning or indication, just shoots you in the head. Being armed, being trained, it won't help. And my partially disabled wife and my daughter will be completely defenseless as my wife refuses to arm herself and my daughter is too young. (Although she does carry mace)

I would feel a lot better in a group where at least 2 people were armed.

Az
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

VIP Member
    Being the unwitting victim of a Swatting attack. Basically a no-knock police invasion for no reason other than the authorities don't have the technology to verify that the originating call came from somewhere other than my house. Maybe this is a good reason to get rid of the home phone.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Any scenario causing me to draw on someone and take aim... Drawing your weapon and shooting is one thing, drawing your weapon and having to decide to shoot or not... base on which direction the situation goes (escalates or deescalates). Drawing and shooting a immediate threat is a reaction trained, drawing and deciding to shoot on a possible threat is stressful due to variables that a situation can change at small increments is hairy.

Once in a five minute stand-off which seemed like an hour, at the end of a No-Shoot, my palms and whole body where in a sweat, and my breathing was like i just ran a fast mile... your thought process goes a mile-a-minute...if...if..if..if.... when...when...when.

there's all kind of scenarios which are horrifying... malls/crowed gathering.. family hostage situations... KAOS situations, i just thought i'd give you a example of a real experience that many people don't realize because most of the time we talk about shooting against a threat.

Senior Moderator
    Someone grabs my child and starts to run away with him in a crowded place. Even thinking about it sends so many chills up my spine I can barely stand not running to him right now and giving him a hug.

Of course I would give chase and you can bet your life I would draw my gun and the MOMENT I got a semblance of a clean shot I would take it. And, yes, I would rather accidentally shoot my own child than wonder for the rest of my life if he was dead, molested, sold to some crack head or much much worse.

NO ONE is getting into a car, alive, with my child without my permission. Not if I can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Someone grabs my child and starts to run away with him in a crowded place. Even thinking about it sends so many chills up my spine I can barely stand not running to him right now and giving him a hug.

Of course I would give chase and you can bet your life I would draw my gun and the MOMENT I got a semblance of a clean shot I would take it. And, yes, I would rather accidentally shoot my own child than wonder for the rest of my life if he was dead, molested, sold to some crack head or much much worse.

NO ONE is getting into a car, alive, with my child without my permission. Not if I can help it.
    +1, I could learn to accept the one thing but cold never live with myself for allowing the others.

My wife has Parkinson's Disease and is in a wheelchair most of the time. My worst scenario would be someone taking her hostage and telling me to drop my gun or they will shoot her. Her and I have discussed this at length and our decision is that which ever one of us is armed, we will never give up our gun. Give up your gun and there will be two victims instead of one. One of us needs to survive for the sake of our kids and grandkids. And the one with the gun needs to shoot as many BGs as we can.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Any scenario involving loved ones and yourself, where your ability to effect the outcome has been virtually nullified.
    Gloves,

You have succinctly summed up my worst case scenario.

Biker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links