What is your worst-case scenario

This is a discussion on What is your worst-case scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just returned from taking my son to school, and as I was scanning around the school, streets, and parking lots as I always do, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your worst-case scenario

VIP Member

I just returned from taking my son to school, and as I was scanning around the school, streets, and parking lots as I always do, a thought came into my head.
    I wanted to share with y'all here and get everyone to honestly list a LEGITIMATE example or scenario that to you would be your worst-case scenario. No jokes, snide comments, serious example only please. I'm not looking to have my thoughts/scenario tactically picked apart, this is to list what in your mind is your worst-case scenario and why, sort of a non-poll poll

I'm getting my son out of the car this morning and I think to myself....this would be my worst scenario to be in....kids all over the place, parents walking to and away from the buildings, moving cars, stationary cars, bus traffic, all at the same time and BANG...the shooting starts. I have a sworn duty (and my own moral obligation) to intervene and I know I will, its just that this, to me anyway, would be really bad.

My son is here...either at my side, a few feet away, halfway to the front door, or going into the building. The first 2 I can deal with easily...grab him and get him down behind an engine block unless its clear for him to run towards the nearby alley and get around the corner on the other sides of the houses there and wait for me to come get him. The other two would be difficult--shots ringing out and my son out there in the 'killing field' so to speak.....wow. Just the thought of it....wow. I've seen and had to deal with some rough and nasty stuff with kids being a LEO, but to have my son in the mix with an active shooter going and trying to do what needs to be done with him there....wow.

Then there is getting on the phone to call all my buddies in blue to get flying my direction. I know I'll be able to quickly give the necessary info to dispatch, no problem there. I know this needs to be done quickly.

But then the hard part....all the other kids/parents most likely going crazy, running everywhere and shots ringing out. I have to find the shooter(s) and dump them ASAP. I've thought about what to do if the shooters are out by the street or if they are walking around the yard/buildings. I know I'll need to utilize the vehicles for cover and concealment to move to spots where I can get good shots on them all the while watching to see if they have an accomplice or more accomplices than have shown themselves by shooting already. To me, I've got to do whatever it takes to keep these dirtbags from getting into the school and I'll have to maneuver to do that.

I carry my G30 off-duty with 2 spare 13rnd mags so I'll at least have a good start.
    I feel that this scenario is completely different while I'm on-duty since a) I'll have armor, radio, long gun, more ammo, buddies already alerted/on the way; and b) my son won't be involved (if not at his school)

I look forward to seeing everyone's own version of your worst-case scenario.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I guess mine would probably be a Wednesday night or Sunday morning at church. Our church's youth group has its own building (so we can play loud music and not draw the ire of the "adults"). I hang out there because I run the audio, video, lights, computers.... Basically anything that runs on electricity and is more complicated than a light switch. It's an open layout with a stage at the front, lots of kids running all over the place, plate glass double doors on the east and west walls, emergency exit on the north wall.

I guess my nightmare scenario would be someone entering with a rifle/shotgun and opening up. There would really be nowhere for kids to hide, especially if shooters were at both doors. I have a booth at the back of the building I generally stay at. I'm not sure I could make a shot at that range, especially not without further endangering the students. And since it's an open layout moving would be extremely dangerous.

I've thought about it before and there's no pretty way for it to end.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

For me it would be a family trip to the mall. My wife prefers the one that is 30-06 posted.....
    Oldest son is handicapped and barely walks. When we go to places like the rodeo he is in his wheel chair. Mother in law would either be using her walker or wheel chair. Food court at the mall is a nice big open area with some concealment options but no real cover. And of course being that the place is posted I would be unarmed. Add an active shooter or two and we have serious problems.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    My worst case scenario would be anywhere in public when I am with my friends, they know I am trained, they know I work security and personal protection for a living, yet they still question me intensely whenever I make a comment or say something. I am sure that if we were in a situation where my firearm needed to come out of its holster to go bang, they would complicate any shooting solution or move I made. They are my friends and it is not enough for me to stop hanging around them, but it is something that worries me constantly
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I don't think it can get any worse than you and your family tied up in your living room waiting to be executed...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I don't think it can get any worse than you and your family tied up in your living room waiting to be executed...
    So don't let it get to that point. My scenario is bad because it can get that way without any failure on my part. If my family and I are tied up awaiting execution, I've done a miserable job defending us. Never should it get to the point that I'm tied up. Either the BG or I should be dead before that happens.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Any scenario involving loved ones and yourself, where your ability to effect the outcome has been virtually nullified.

Middle of night, I am awakened by noises, then door crashing in. I grab my 12 ga and start firing at intruders, striking one. Then I hear "Police!", but it's too late. They've invaded my house by mistake and I've killed one as a result. At that point I may be riddled with bullets myself. Or worse, I may be sent to jail for rest of life.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Being with family and ending up between two rival factions when shooting starts inside a store or mall with no real cover and little concealment.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    My worst case scenario would be that several armed robbers with ski masks and heavily armed with AK-47 automatic rifles attempt a home invasion while I'm sleeping in the house with my wife and all my children. I would have to barricade all my family into my main bedroom, give to my wife the Walther P99 9mm pistol, strap on my bullet proof vest, place my HK USP Compact pistol on my hip holster, my S&W 442 snub nose revolver on my ankle, double mag carrier on weak side and grab my Remington 870 Tactical Express loaded with Buckshot. I would then have to locate the intruders and shoot them all to death before they reach and attempt to harm my family.

We live in Costa Rica so this scenario is highly likely due to a bad case of illegal immigration, drug trafficking mafias and our proximity to very dangerous countries like Nicaragua, El Salvador, Colombia and Venezuela so I have thought about it plenty. To make matters worse, the police here is poorly trained and response is crappy so they would probably show up just to clean up the mess I've made around the house.

That would be my worse case scenario!

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    So don't let it get to that point. My scenario is bad because it can get that way without any failure on my part. If my family and I are tied up awaiting execution, I've done a miserable job defending us. Never should it get to the point that I'm tied up. Either the BG or I should be dead before that happens.
    Very true. what I said is more the end of a scenario...not the beginning
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

My worst case scenario would be that several armed robbers with ski masks and heavily armed with AK-47 automatic rifles attempt a home invasion while I'm sleeping in the house with my wife and all my children. I would have to barricade all my family into my main bedroom, give to my wife the Walther P99 9mm pistol, strap on my bullet proof vest, place my HK USP Compact pistol on my hip holster, my S&W 442 snub nose revolver on my ankle, double mag carrier on weak side and grab my Remington 870 Tactical Express loaded with Buckshot. I would then have to locate the intruders and shoot them all to death before they reach and attempt to harm my family.
    Can you strap all that on in the time it takes to kick down a door and get to your bedroom? I think in this scenario you'd be better served picking up the shotty...throwing the mags in your pocket and having a side arm in a shoulder rig.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

My worse case.....The wife getting beat down and My 8 year old getting kidnapped while Im not there....Ive had some dreams about this, when I woke up I thought I was coming out of my skin.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

As stated before, my wife and her lack of SA gives me nightmares. She's recently begun to talk to me more about what to look for, so that's a start. My nightmare is any senerio involving my family in which I can't effect the outcome because I'm at work or she's out of town with my son visiting a friend or family member.

I also envision my own break down in SA leading to my or my families demise.
    SA Loaded 1911
    XD45 Service
    XDs45

Mine would be a well organized home invasion...multiple armed perpetrators wearing body armor, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links