What do you when the police tell you to "Drop It"

This is a discussion on What do you when the police tell you to "Drop It" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It depends. Did they say 'Simond says'? Seriously. Reaching to unholster my gun is the last option on my list. Although, I kinda hope this ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you when the police tell you to "Drop It"

VIP Member
    It depends. Did they say 'Simond says'?

Seriously. Reaching to unholster my gun is the last option on my list. Although, I kinda hope this situation happens to Biker so that he stops being an atheist .

2. Remove Ads

Do a bit of preventive maintenance...... call the local cops and ASK THEM.... THEY are the ones who have the answer to your question, NOT a bunch of folks you don't know online.

No disrespect, folks... ... but if you have questions about things that could have deadly consequences, concerning local law enforcement, ASK LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT. If you present yourself in a reasonable manner, you will most likely be perceived in a reasonable manner.

"... Johnny-jump-up on defensive carry.com said to do this... " while the cops have their guns on you, may not be of any benefit.... just sayin'
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Personally, you cannot drop something that is not in you hands. I find "Drop it." rather strange for that type of situation. I used, "Freeze", much more often than "Drop it.", unless there was a weapon in hand.

I would very slowly put my hands up and drop to my knees while advising what I was doing. If told to , "Freeze", that is what I would do.

ETA: I would disagree with the idea that LE can shoot you for resisting for failure to follow orders, if you are not creating or continuing a threat by doing so.
    Don't go to Las Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by tessa View Post
    So, you're walking somewhere, a MWAG call comes in, the police arrive. They yell "Drop It". What do you do? Seems easy at first glance. But your handgun is in a holster, not in your hand. In order to drop it you would have to touch it. This pretty much guarantees you'll be shot. He reached for his gun!! So, what do you do? You are required to follow orders, or else they could shoot you for resisting.

Thanks,
    Carol
    That's a little TV drama stuff... I don't think officers are going to yell drop it! if your not holding something in your hand, you can't drop what your not holding. If their train properly they don't want, i know i wouldn't... want someone reaching for a weapon in a holster, so hands up! would be a better tactical approach from the officers commands.

Half the battle of winning a gun fight is getting your weapon out without getting shot, so i don't wanna give someone else that opportunity.

To go with your scenario and address it... upon the order to DROP IT... i would reach for the sky as they said in the old days, and ignore all orders regarding touching my weapon of any kind.

ETA: I would disagree with the idea that LE can shoot you for resisting for failure to follow orders, if you are not creating or continuing a threat by doing so.
    Really?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb9ktN1Xf2s
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the replies. My question arose from reading about previous times where innocent people were shot by police. They are human and make mistakes.

On a side note. If your loaded gun is in your hand is it safe to drop it? No chance of it going bang?

Thanks for the replies. My question arose from reading about previous times where innocent people were shot by police. They are human and make mistakes.

On a side note. If your loaded gun is in your hand is it safe to drop it? No chance of it going bang?
    Most modern firearms have firing pin safety's, and will not go bang unless the trigger is depressed. That being said.... safety's are mechanical devices, and CAN fail. The arrival of the police will NOT be a complete shock to you. You will see/hear them coming..... simply holster, or clear, and lay your gun down before they confront you.

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    Do a bit of preventive maintenance...... call the local cops and ASK THEM.... THEY are the ones who have the answer to your question, NOT a bunch of folks you don't know online.

No disrespect, folks... ... but if you have questions about things that could have deadly consequences, concerning local law enforcement, ASK LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT. If you present yourself in a reasonable manner, you will most likely be perceived in a reasonable manner.

"... Johnny-jump-up on defensive carry.com said to do this... " while the cops have their guns on you, may not be of any benefit.... just sayin'
    I've done exactly that on more than one occasion because, I work in a really bad neighborhood and my gun clears leather (or Kydex) on a routine basis. I don't want to be perceived as the BG and the cops in that precinct have all given the same reply. "Do exactly what we say, when we say it, and you won't be shot".... 15yrs later and I'm still taking in oxygen.

Drop the gun, IMMEDIATLEY!! (it won't go bang)
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post

While this is a good idea it is not a absolute as not all cops handle situations in exactly the same manner or using the same verbage.

Guantes (quote)

"ETA: I would disagree with the idea that LE can shoot you for resisting for failure to follow orders, if you are not creating or continuing a threat by doing so."

This was more from a legal rather than an ability point of view. Basically, the cops can, have the ability, to shoot you any time they so choose.

While this is a good idea it is not a absolute as not all cops handle situations in exactly the same manner or using the same verbage.
    The only absolute is death. Period.

Some of my toys....

Guantes (quote)

This was more from a legal rather than an ability point of view. Basically, the cops can, have the ability, to shoot you any time they so choose.
    If you have any case law, or State, or Federal statute to support that, I'd be real interested in seeing it.

Some of my toys....

Here's one example. Note the second sentence of #2.

Idaho Statutes

TITLE 18
    CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
    CHAPTER 40
    HOMICIDE
    18-4011.Justifiable homicide by officer. Homicide is justifiable when committed by public officers and those acting by their command in their aid and assistance, either:
    1. In obedience to any judgment of a competent court; or
    2. When reasonably necessary in overcoming actual resistance to the execution of some legal process, or in the discharge of any other legal duty including suppression of riot or keeping and preserving the peace. Use of deadly force shall not be justified in overcoming actual resistance unless the officer has probable cause to believe that the resistance poses a threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or to other persons; or
    3. When reasonably necessary in preventing rescue or escape or in retaking inmates who have been rescued or have escaped from any jail, or when reasonably necessary in order to prevent the escape of any person charged with or suspected of having committed a felony, provided the officer has probable cause to believe that the inmate, or persons assisting his escape, or the person suspected of or charged with the commission of a felony poses a threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or other persons.

[QUOTE=Guantes;1763448]Here's one example. Note the second sentence of #2.

None of that qualifies as
    "Basically, the cops can, have the ability, to shoot you any time they so choose."
    LEO's may use deadly force only if...
    "the officer has probable cause to believe that the resistance poses a threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or to other persons....
    NOT any time they so choose.

Some of my toys....

I think we are crossing each other on what we are talking about.
    I will try to explain what I meant in a more clear fashion.
    Legally, LE must have a perceived threat to use lethal force.
    Legalities aside, they have the physical ability to shoot you at any time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links