What do you when the police tell you to "Drop It"

This is a discussion on What do you when the police tell you to "Drop It" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, you're walking somewhere, a MWAG call comes in, the police arrive. They yell "Drop It". What do you do? Seems easy at first glance. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you when the police tell you to "Drop It"

What do you when the police tell you to "Drop It"

So, you're walking somewhere, a MWAG call comes in, the police arrive. They yell "Drop It". What do you do? Seems easy at first glance. But your handgun is in a holster, not in your hand. In order to drop it you would have to touch it. This pretty much guarantees you'll be shot. He reached for his gun!! So, what do you do? You are required to follow orders, or else they could shoot you for resisting.

Thanks,
    Carol

2. Remove Ads

Put hands high in the air, stop moving, and ask for clearification

Personally, you cannot drop something that is not in you hands. I find "Drop it." rather strange for that type of situation. I used, "Freeze", much more often than "Drop it.", unless there was a weapon in hand.

I would very slowly put my hands up and drop to my knees while advising what I was doing. If told to , "Freeze", that is what I would do.

ETA: I would disagree with the idea that LE can shoot you for resisting for failure to follow orders, if you are not creating or continuing a threat by doing so.

You cannot drop what is not in your hands... Put your hands up and be still and await further instruction
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

What would I do if demanded to "Drop it?" I'm assuming that I'd have something in the hands to be dropped. So long as it wasn't some breakable treasure, I'd drop it and await guidance. At the point of a gun isn't the time to be fouling the air with trying to manage the situation. At some point soon, it'll be the time when Q&A will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Personally, you cannot drop something that is not in you hands. I find "Drop it." rather strange for that type of situation.
    Stranger things have happened. IIRC, the Daniel Sayers MWAG incident a few years back involved police demanding he keep his hands high and visible, yet they also vehemently demanded he exit the car ... which would require the use of one hand. As he asked for clarification, the officers gut much louder and more demanding he perform to their demands. Finally, he kept his hands in as much view as possible and scooched out the open driver's-side window. Strange things do get asked in the heat of the moment, say a take-down such as this MWAG situation in Ohio.

I would very slowly put my hands up and drop to my knees while advising what I was doing. If told to , "Freeze", that is what I would do.
    As would I. Mr. Sayers did what he could to follow the demands, but it didn't seem from the video/audio that it was ever fast enough or direct enough to satisfy. By the end of the stop, Mr. Sayers began to run his mouth a bit, demanding clarifications, informing he was a CHL, and doing it loudly and just as brusquely as the officers, which didn't help his situation one bit. In the end he got it all turned, but on the street at the moment of the stop it was ugly. As I watched the video of it, I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd been shot.

ETA: I would disagree with the idea that LE can shoot you for resisting for failure to follow orders, if you are not creating or continuing a threat by doing so.
    In the Sayers incident, the man was known to be armed. That constitutes a risk, certainly, if not an outright threat. In spite of having a CHL, it was sufficient to take him down with an AR and pistol aimed at him the entire extraction from the car and following cuff-and-stuff.

Point is: ugly take-downs certainly can happen even when complying, when asking for clarification to a contradicting pair of demands, etc.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I agree with the problems connected with conflicting commands. I find this as a failure of the officers, either the handling or the senior officer at the location to take command of the situation and be the only one giving commands. We had an old saying that essentially went, "You screw up my call/obs, then its your handle."

I pretty much agree with the rest, other than the level of threat must rise to the level that justifies lethal force.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    fingers laced on top of head face first into the closest wall if near one and let them disarm me...if no wall same deal i remain motionless and advise i would prefer they disarm me as i am reluctant to handle my firearm in their presence...

You have two choices....

1. Throw your hands in the air and cry like a little girl (or bark like a dog).

2. Reach for your weapon and prepare for a dirt nap
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

I'd put my hands slowly into the air, drop down to my knees and await further instructions.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Hands going straight up fingers spread,I'm not gonna move my hands anywhere near my body,not even to clasp them on top of my head,it could look like your reaching for a weapon in a neck type carry,In a split second that Cops gotta decide if your a threat or not,I'm not gonna give them any reason to say,I thought he was going for a gun,or knife
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Turn my hip with the firearm on it toward the nearest security camera, so my family could sue the PD if they shoot me for not dropping the weapon, since there is no way in hades I'm touching the grip of my firearm when I have a muzzle in my face.

All this with my hands on my head, of course :)

ask a question... "how would you like me to do it ? ".....

I doubt they will ask anyone to drop it, unless they are an idiot. They will have you keep your hands on your head, cuff you, then remove it themeselves if they are smart at all.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Ask...."Who me?"

Then follow their instructions...

Seems a little far-fetched....but lesson learned from the Las Vegas shooting--ask who is in charge and who you should listen to.....repeat what you are being told....then act....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i personally would place my hands high in the air, and prone out, this is where ill end up anyway, why make it harder than need be
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Easy Answer:

GUN IN HAND: I drop whatever is in my hand.

GUN NOT IN HAND: I can't drop what I don't have in my hand. I will place my hands in the air and wait for further instructions. In the meantime I will cease being an atheist and start praying to whatever diety will let me go home alive with no extra holes in me.

Biker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links