Defensive Carry banner

hostage scenario

3K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  nightsonge 
#1 ·
You are in your favorite place, your home, friends house, moms basement, gencon, cigar shop, etc. etc. Someone comes up behind you quietly enough to not tip you off, slips their arm around your neck and puts a knife to your throat, you are carrying your EDC in its normal place, what is your reaction to keep from having your throat cut, and walking out of this situation alive? the BG is demanding everyone else get on the floor or they will kill you as a hostage. What now?

#2 ·
Unless they can sever both the right and left interior and exterior carotid arteries and the jugular (total of 6 critical blood bearing structures in the neck if my last look at anatomy was correct) or take out my spine...

I am going to use some considerable strength (augmented by being...annoyed...) to feed them the knife, followed by their own entrails which I will have removed by tearing through their rib cage with my bare hands.

I do not like knives when other people are holding them.

They vex me.

I don't know what everyone else will be doing.

Complying with the bad guy, running or removing clothing and letting olive oil flow for a really good time...and I don't care.

I'll be busy getting busy with some business.

#15 ·
Ha! I like the way you think!

The moment his arm goes around my neck I'm attacking his arm with extreme violence and breaking the choke hold. There are numerous techniques for breaking any choke hold from the rear. If he has a knife at my throat, I might get stuck a little but with the immediate and overwhelming counter attack, he's likely not prepared for that response and my adrenaline dump is going to help me over come a lot.

Again, this is going by strict adherence to the scenario where he was able to get his arm totally around my neck without me knowing it. Highly unlikely, but hey, if it happens that way, it happens that way. As soon as he touches me... especially if I had no idea of his presence behind me, I immediately counter attack and attack the point at which he grabbed me.

#3 ·
Depends how they are holding me... I've practiced several rear neck holds. if my hand is above my waist when he is behind me I will get my hand in between the knife and my throat while doing my take down, I rather get my hand cut up than my neck...

But even if he sneaks up behind me, I doubt he is going to be able to get the knife up to my throat before I react (I mentioned on another thread several of my students have tried sneaking up behind me and grabbing my neck but even if they succeed in sneaking up behind me my reaction is always too fast for them to actually get a hold)

#4 ·
I am going to have a heart attack. No time for half measures, going to wet my pants too! At my age, size, and weight it is easily believable. BG is not going to be able to support me so I will end up sliding to the floor. At this point anyone else with a weapon has a clear target. If no one else draws on him, after he steps over me I draw and if he has not acquired a new hostage order him to surrender. If he doesn't I will do what needs to be done to stop the threat.

#5 ·
I will trust that the Bat-medallion that I always wear around my neck, will reflect the light off of the murderous gleam in the assailant's eyes, and flash the Bat-signal on the window, so that the Bat-team will come save me. Or... I could do as the IL State Police suggest, and stick my finger down my throat and make myself puke on the attacker....

http://www.isp.state.il.us/crime/assault.cfm#ASLTCONF

For cryin' out loud............ :rolleyes:

#33 ·
I will trust that the Bat-medallion that I always wear around my neck, will reflect the light off of the murderous gleam in the assailant's eyes, and flash the Bat-signal on the window, so that the Bat-team will come save me.
Oh my gosh that's funny!! :haha:

#12 ·
Depends how he's got a hold of you. If my weak hand is free, during all the ruckus, I would put my pocket carried .38 in his belly and pull the trigger.

Maybe if I screamed like a schoolgirl, it would startle him so I could go for my gun :embarassed:

#16 ·
guantes, they do it carefully so as not to inflict injury on themselves............................................you have a point sir, ok so they grab you around the chest and put a knife to you throat

#18 ·
OK. I'm going on their being right handed. Feign compliance/plead. Left hand comes across and up on the inside to grab the wrist with the knife. Simultaneously, right hand draws and fires to the rear into them with the pistol held in an inverted position. All told, a little over a second.

#19 ·
[Keanu Reeves] Shoot the hostage!! Shoot the hostage!! [/Keanu Reeves]

Wait...

Wut?

#20 ·
Guantes,
If they are significantly stronger than you, what then?

The inverted shot was my thought, too... I agree I've got to grab the knife hand... and them pulling it away, if they were significntly stronger, would get me cut... but that's not so much a concern... can I break free of the arm around my chest? Probably... grab, shoot, drop, roll... shoot shoot shoot. but if the grasping arm around the chest doesn't slip/let go.. I've got to shoot shoot shoot... Or?

#21 ·
I think that there is a possibility of getting cut, primarily on the arm. If I can't make or hold the wrist, my forearm will be in place to protect my neck. They have about .65-.70 to realize the attack, decide what to do and respond to it befor the first shot and the shots are continuing until I am released. I'm not going to worry about the arm around the chest, just keep shooting.

#22 ·
I fear a knife more than a gun.

Having faced a knife, that was intended for my gut, of which I am fond of, I will use whatever means and tactics to break the hold that I have available to me. I will in all probability get stuck, but I'm taking them with me. Thumbs, once you get turned around and face your attacker, are good at popping out eyeballs. Testicles can be crushed with a hand. Feet can dislocate knees and a spear hand can enter the abdomen if done correctly.

I hope everyine is getting the picture here. It's vicious, it's ugly, and it's brutal. I'm not above biting testicles in a fight, and no, I'm not queer. My intention is to win the bloody fight and I will carry it to you if you are dumb enough to bring a fight to me. In short I will do whatever I have to do to stop you.

Biker

#32 ·
accurate depiction...i broek a choke hold that was taking me out of consciousness very quickly with a heel to the shin followed by multiple random shots to every available part of his body some years back...it took him down like a ton of bricks and was totally unexpected by him...

#23 ·
That happened to a guy here while walking down the street..... while the BG had a knife to his throat.... he pulled his gun, and over the shoulder shot the BG in the face and killed him.

I'ld bet his ears were ringing for a couple of weeks.

#24 ·
Guantes,
If they are significantly stronger than you, what then?
\

this is where hand to hand training comes into play. It will give you a good understanding of body mechanics and how to neutralize strength by capitalizing on a body's weakness...arms and holds are no strong in all directions. Most holds...especially a one armed hold can be broken.

#25 ·
You threw me for a minute as you were quoting yourself, not me.

I agree with what you said, that's why I have spent years on hand to hand training. The way I see it is that empty hand against a weapon is very hazardous, therefor I am going to use only enough empty hand techniques against a weapon to allow bringing my own weapon into the mix and facilitate the use of that weapon. This has the greatest possibility of ending the conflict in the shortest amount of time , with the least injury to me. I doubt that many people would continue empty handed if they have the opportunity to deploy their own weapon.

#26 ·
i never considered bringing my weapon around and doing a head shot with my own head so close to him, the shock of the muzzle alone would probably rupture my eardrum, but I would be alive

#28 ·
Hypothethically speaking, I'd pull out my crocodile dundee knife and say, "that's not a knife, this is a knife!" :image035:

#30 ·
Per the OP, it's already happened and the "ifs" don't matter. No "when he... or as he...."

I comply. Hopefully, for my sake, the others will too. Then I might get a chance to practice SD at a more opportune time, not when a knife is jabbed into my neck. I don't fall for the movie hero crap, and those who do need to practice putting a tourniquet tightly around their necks.

#31 ·
It is good to remember that many times, "movie hero crap" was first a real life incident and later adopted by the movies.

While at times, compliance may be a good idea, one never knows if the aggressor(s) will kill or injure you anyway and by then the window of opportunity may have passed and any attempt at resistance futile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.