What Do You Do?

This is a discussion on What Do You Do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is not a shooting situation, yet, but I'm curious as to how people think in this situation. You are off the main road, having ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Do?

What Do You Do?

This is not a shooting situation, yet, but I'm curious as to how people think in this situation.

You are off the main road, having to 4 x 4 up a wash to get where you are. The area is known for illegal drug and human smuggling, but the least active area in your locale. However you have had Border Patrol drive up to check you out, as well as have their helicopter fly over you to assess what you are doing at times. You frequent this area quite regularly.

You and two buddies are shooting, safe backstop and all that good stuff. You hear a truck coming up the wash long before it comes in to view. As it passes you you see that it has one occupant, and fits the profile of a drug smuggler's vehicle. The fact that there is one occupant, that doesn't look like a Ranch Hand or Rancher out checking water holes is enough to raise the hair on the back of your neck.

Twenty minutes or so have gone by and you hear the vehilce returning. Since this is the tactics section, what do you do?

Biker

2. Remove Ads

If it was me, I'd get my buddy and myself the heck outa there asap. IMO, with the situation as you describe it, there's way to much traffic for my taste. I'd either find a spot a little piece down the road, or maybe an indoor range.

The area is known for illegal drug and human smuggling,
    Yeah, that would be enough to detour me right there.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Mind your own business. Seriously, Biker - "profile of a drug smuggler's vehicle"?

Seems to me that if you have your weapons out and are shooting, and have a stock of ready ammo (and if you shoot like I shoot, then you'll have a bunch of weapons from small arms to long guns), and there's at least two of you, then you're about as safe as you're gonna get. You are in prime position to deal with any untoward circumstances. So ignore the guy in the truck, who's probably some nature photographer or a cactus collector or guy visiting some relatives.

If it is a drug smuggler, that's his business. Unless you're LEO, we have "road" and "driver" and the rules are: driver can drive along road. If there's anything suspicious, you might make a note of this and see if it happens again and so on, and you can report suspicious activity if it rises to that level.

"Difference of opinion leads to enquiry, and enquiry to truth; and I am sure...we both value too much the freedom of opinion sanctioned by our Constitution, not to cherish its exercise even where in opposition to ourselves." -- Thomas Jefferson to Mr. Wendover, 1815.
    And as Justice Holmes put it, "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." Don't be a busybody. If there's a road, anybody can drive on it. If they don't hassle you, then don't hassle them. Be alert and watchful at all times.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    This is not a shooting situation, yet, but I'm curious as to how people think in this situation.

You are off the main road, having to 4 x 4 up a wash to get where you are. The area is known for illegal drug and human smuggling, but the least active area in your locale. However you have had Border Patrol drive up to check you out, as well as have their helicopter fly over you to assess what you are doing at times. You frequent this area quite regularly.

You and two buddies are shooting, safe backstop and all that good stuff. You hear a truck coming up the wash long before it comes in to view. As it passes you you see that it has one occupant, and fits the profile of a drug smuggler's vehicle. The fact that there is one occupant, that doesn't look like a Ranch Hand or Rancher out checking water holes is enough to raise the hair on the back of your neck.

Twenty minutes or so have gone by and you hear the vehilce returning. Since this is the tactics section, what do you do?

Biker
    It seems to me that if the passing motorist was really that hinky that my hairs stood up when he passed by, I would have packed up and left when he first passed.

Now that that opportunity has been lost, I'd make sure the guns were loaded, and keep an eye on him as he goes by. I'd probably be looking at what, if any cover was available, loading magazines and pocketing them, and having a quick discussion with my companions about what we'll do if the balloon goes up. It would be premature to take cover at this point (it could be another BP vehicle coming by, for instance), but I'd be prepared to pick up the appropriate firearm and head to cover.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    With this much activity I'd probably be thinking, "I need to find another place to shoot".

Nevertheless to answer the OP, I'd probably just sit tight, be ready for anything yet nonchalant, and hope he passes again without incident or contact. The first time he passed he likely knows there were at least three guys shooting guns, perhaps we are a deterrent in numbers, arms and cover ? If we leave when we hear him coming back the second time, we'll be faced with him being behind us if we go one way on the wash, and if we go the opposite way we'll pass real close to him.....eye to eye.

Granted, I don't know the terrain there, or my buddies abilities, or even if this is really a BG, or exactly how high my hair stood up, but generally speaking I'm alert and sitting tight where I am until he passes again.
    Last edited by ppkheat; September 21st, 2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: changed with to without LOL
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    tear a piece of fabric from my pants to tie around my head, smear mud on my face and arms in a tribal pattern...carry every gun and knife i can and throw myself into the wilderness rambo style...take on the drug cartels and emerge a hero...

i wonder what kind of feeling the guy in the typical drug smuggler profile truck is thinking about the 2 idiots in the drug traffcing area doing some recreational shooting....

what the heck are you doing there in the first place?...most of the guys on this forum dont trust a walmart parking lot at dusk and youve got a scenario where youve chosen to have target practice in a known drug trafficing area?...heres another idea...smear yourself with honey and look for fire ant hills...now theres a challenge....

Send your buddy on other side of road to hide. Keep behind your engine block. If he doesn't just drive by, you'll have element of surprise on him and catch him from both sides. If he goes on by, then you're good to go.

Maybe he wasn't a drug smuggler. Could be someone out 4 wheelin'.

If the area is know to have that much drug traffic, I don't think I'd be out there target practicing in the first place.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Here is another thought on that Biker... Suppose he is just another fella out looking to do some target practice and you are in his favorite spot.
    He just drives on by, then comes back by 20 minutes later to see if you are gone yet so he can do his thing.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    tear a piece of fabric from my pants to tie around my head, smear mud on my face and arms in a tribal pattern...carry every gun and knife i can and throw myself into the wilderness rambo style...take on the drug cartels and emerge a hero...

i wonder what kind of feeling the guy in the typical drug smuggler profile truck is thinking about the 2 idiots in the drug traffcing area doing some recreational shooting....

what the heck are you doing there in the first place?...most of the guys on this forum dont trust a walmart parking lot at dusk and youve got a scenario where youve chosen to have target practice in a known drug trafficing area?...heres another idea...smear yourself with honey and look for fire ant hills...now theres a challenge....
    I don't care who you are... that's funny right there.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

It could also be one of those do-gooders who patrols the border lending food. water, aid and comfort to all the illegals heading for a life of prosperity in the social welfare systems of the US?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Drops and pick-ups are made in locations like this all the time. Moving or leaving is kind of over-reaction to the scenario. As for finding a new place to shoot, that's not going to happen unless I move to another state.

The players all sort of know the game here, and it is played by unwritten rules. What I'm interested in, and some of you picked up on that, was what you would do when the vehicle returns. Two of us stayed in view and waved, while being next to cover, and the third was across the wash hiding in the bushes to put the unknown subject in a crossfire ambush if the worst came to pass. To me tactics encompasses the what ifs and how to deal with situations. In short, think ahead and plan. While the likelihood is small, the probability is not negated. Thus one needs to prepare for what they think the worst case scenario is in their situation at that time.

No guns were pointed at anyone at any time during this episode. That is not to say that the rifles weren't loaded and safeties ready to be flicked off. The border country has it's own unwritten rules, and for the most part we all play by them. It has become a war zone with an uneasy truce that can be shattered in a moment's notice. For what it's worth, people don't go driving alone in the desert for the most part unless you're a working rancher, dope smuggler, or LEO, and we all know who the players are.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; September 21st, 2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    It could also be one of those do-gooders who patrols the border lending food. water, aid and comfort to all the illegals heading for a life of prosperity in the social welfare systems of the US?
    Even they travel in pairs at a minimum, IME.

So, you had to 4X4 up a wash in your 4X4... and a lone driver in a vehicle that fits the profile of a "drug smuggler's vehicle" (What, another 4x4? oh wait, with a Mexican flag on the dash) drives by.

Now, he's wondering.... Gee, I just passed these guys while checking out the watering holes for my new boss... They're driving a 4x4, and they have pistols and semi-automatic assault rifles... they could be drug smugglers...

(more likely he's thinking: Vaya, acabo de pasar a estos tipos durante la comprobación de los agujeros de riego para mi nuevo jefe ... Son la conducción de un 4x4, y tienen pistolas y rifles de asalto semi-automáticas ... que podrían ser traficantes de drogas.)

I can see your tactical response as reasonable... I wouldn't have been there in the first place... but I understand you don't have the choices I have...
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

oakchas, I don't speak mexican.
    I will however guess at what you said, assuming that you think it's some hispanic working for the local ranch:

"I get in my 4 x 4 to check on something up this bloody wash for the boss man, using a truck he just traded for. I find these crazy gringos up here shooting and thinking I'm a doper. They got targets with the heads shot out of them and those rifles have toys on them and I can see the slings are adjusted to fit them. They also have handguns in holsters. Oh yeah, those targets say U.S. Customs on them. I wonder where the bleep they got those? Also, I'm nervous because I can only see two of them and there were three when I went by the first time."

Is that the gist of what you said?

Biker

Nah, I just translated my original "now he's wondering..." statement...

And, that's what I thought, maybe he is just a local, newly hired, hand. If I were him... I'd be very nervous... From your perspective... that's a good thing...

The "profile" of a smugglers car made me grin... All Toyota Hilux's are driven by terrorists (with stuck accellerators, it's no wonder they run into buildings and vegetable markets, and blow up!)
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links