Mogadishu MOB: Where aim?

This is a discussion on Mogadishu MOB: Where aim? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In most mob situations I think if you had to fire you would only have to take out a couple of the bigger, angrier, individuals ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mogadishu MOB: Where aim?

In most mob situations I think if you had to fire you would only have to take out a couple of the bigger, angrier, individuals and the rest would lose heart and take off pretty quickly.

That being said what if you are in a situation like occurred in Mogadishu in the 90's and the MOB is so hopped up that they keep coming even as those around them them fall. Some even continue after taking 1-3 rounds center mass.

Given: You only have a .223/5.56 M16/M4 and a 9mm sidearm.

Where do you aim to best "thin the crowd" and stop the onslaught?

My initial thought is to take a couple head shots. If that does not deter them then aim 1-3 feet off the ground. My assumption is that I will be able to take out multiple targets with a single shot and even if they want to continue to attack bleeding out and having broken appendages from a high powered rifle will not physiologically allow them.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Do I have a team behind me, or is it just little old me?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Start with the leaders... head shots. This sounds like a Zombie attack scenario... If they're all drugged up... you're gonna have to take out a bunch before the herd turns. Hope you got enough ammo...

Breaking pelvises is a possibility... and then maybe they start tripping over one another.... Buying time and distance?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Just keep shooting at the ones in front and hopefully they will turn back before you run out of ammo, or the body pile gets to high to pass
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

I would have some backup in this scenario.

I would not aim for legs. Head shots from the front line. if I miss lower or to either side I either hit another head, neck or chest. If you are 3rd row back, and you see 2 heads explode infront of you, that would be the best deterrent. Seeing a guy with a blown out knee will do less psychological damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hkchris View Post
    Given: You only have a .223/5.56 M16/M4 and a 9mm sidearm.

Where do you aim to best "thin the crowd" and stop the onslaught?

My initial thought is to take a couple head shots. If that does not deter them then aim 1-3 feet off the ground. My assumption is that I will be able to take out multiple targets with a single shot and even if they want to continue to attack bleeding out and having broken appendages from a high powered rifle will not physiologically allow them.
    I'd skip the low shots and favor waistline and up. Depending on how many and how close, I'd say "roadhouse rules" apply - everybody gets one shot before I start dishing out seconds or thirds to any one target. I know the 5.56 does a great job on soft tissue and lighter bones like arms, but I'm not sure if it's a pelvis-breaker at 50 yards as we know the 7.62x51 is. Can anyone here with combat experience verify?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Start with the leaders... head shots. This sounds like a Zombie attack scenario... If they're all drugged up... you're gonna have to take out a bunch before the herd turns. Hope you got enough ammo...

Breaking pelvises is a possibility... and then maybe they start tripping over one another.... Buying time and distance?
    I agree with a pelvis shot; if a CM shot doesn't stop them.

I say CM 1st, then go for the pelvis area. The pelvis area is a easier target to hit than the head; and a broken pelvis will most likely take them out of the fight. A headshot must be very accurate to insure the stop; there have been a number of cases where eve a couple of headshots did "NOT" take out a BG.

IMHO; CM shots are the "best" 1st choice in most cases. In my mind, the pelvis area makes a easier target than a head shot; especially while you're moving fast and dodging rounds yourself. The only way I might consider a headshot 1st in this scenario is "IF" I was behind suitable, SAFE cover and could be sure of my accuracy.

Load with tracers and aim for the nearby gasoline tanker.

An SF PA friend of mine said always aim high and right of center mass. The goal being heart, aorta, vena cava, or lung. Not much running going on after that.

If you plan to stand your ground with no assistance, the outcome depends on three things.
    Number of people in the mob
    Distance between you and the mob
    Amount of ammunition you have
    If any of these is not sufficiently in your favor, you will probably be overrun.

With running human targets head shots are very difficult. Heads are small and move around alot, and a miss means a wasted round.

A COM shot, even if it hits the heart, may not immediately stop a hopped up person who is rushing at you. They may still have time to get few licks in on you. With a mob this could mean many multiple licks.

Aim just below the belt line. A pelvic shot has a very good chance of dropping them (not necessarily killing). If the bullet breaks the pelvic structure they can't stand. If the bullet also hits the femoral artery or vein they will loose a lot of blood fast.

A broken pelvis will drop them immediately.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Administrator
    Hey, if they keep coming and you get overrun then it's probably "game over" unless you can somehow manage to "Get Out Of Dodge."

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Call 911 and be a good witness.

Or not be able to move up to the next level on the video game.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    say I have a team of 5 plus me armed the same way. I find the tallest nearby building and sweep it to the roof. Once on the roof, we close all the doors, and position one man at each door, for arguments sake, we have 360 rounds for rifle, and 150 for pistol, and also that we have two doors. thats six men. We each leave all but 90 rounds with one man at each door. so thats a few thousand rounds give or take. position the first man and ammo dump far enough away from the door, say 30 feet, and tell him to take down each target if need be, then have an second man at each door, cover the first, so if any tangos sweept outside his fire and manage to get close, the second man takes him out. the third man on each side rests, so each man gets a two hour break, and four hours on. one of the first two would take a six hour shift, and that would be the number 2 guy. So now I have created a buffer zone between us and the targets, funneled them into a killzone, and set up a watch so we can rest some. This should be enough to keep the enemy at bay untill I can get some reinforcements on scene, or I run out of targets/ammo
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links