Just had a knock on my door... - Page 2

Just had a knock on my door...

This is a discussion on Just had a knock on my door... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Always unfortunate to see people get themselves so freaked out over imagined terrors that they finally are unable to answer their own door. It's OK ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just had a knock on my door...

Always unfortunate to see people get themselves so freaked out over imagined terrors that they finally are unable to answer their own door.

It's OK to check the window and look first. If you don't have a window, that's a different story.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I had a knock at my door at 0230 one morning, very unusual. I got up, went to the door, turned on the porch light and saw one male at the door. Anyone at the door is visible and anyone off to the side would have to jump up three feet to get on the porch. I did not recognize the individual who yelled, "I'm your nieghbor in the back." I opened the door and he opened his mouth to say something, then he saw my 870 at half hip and stopped mid sentence. We eventually got it worked out. My back yard motion sensor had stuck in the on position causing some light from my floods to shine over the rear fence into his bedroom window.

Quote Originally Posted by BrunetteMP View Post
    Had this happen before. Knock at the door, didn't recognize the person, so grabbed my shotgun and I waited for him to leave. A few minutes later he jiggles the door handle and then I hear scraping noises. So I pumped the shotgun. He hightailed it outta there and that was the last I saw of him. Lol!
    Gee it's to bad you didn't open the door with the shotty in hand about the level of the lock. If he's bent over picking the lock he ends up staring right down the barrel. I bet that would have caused all kinds of involuntary bodily functions!

Ted - Dang it! I'd want a replay just so that I could do so. Haha! Thanks for the idea if there ever is a 'next time'.
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend. - US Marine Corps

I don't answer the door ever if I don't know the person and only maybe if I do..........................always carry in the house.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    I don't answer the door ever if I don't know the person and only maybe if I do..........................always carry in the house.
    Not even to the gang from Publishers Clearing House? Guess you don't get the million dollar sweepstake prize.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

As far as the guy looking around, I don't find this odd at all. Years ago I had friends who had TONS of friends and they didn't mind any of their friends answering the door at their place. I didn't know all of their friends so it wasn't unusual for me to get an unexpected face greeting me at the door. I'd take a glance at the inside to make sure it's the right apartment then introduce myself. The first couple times it happened, I was really confused by it and probably looked a lot like this guy did.

In this case, it sounds like the guy got confused when someone unexpected opened the door, glanced around, and once he realized that he didn't recognize the interior furnishings, he said he had the wrong apartment. Pretty normal apartment occurrence if you ask me; especially if it's a large complex.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Always unfortunate to see people get themselves so freaked out over imagined terrors that they finally are unable to answer their own door.
    Agreed, Shockwave. There is a fine line between being cautious and being so cautious that you're not living a normal life. Take care when answering the door, but I wouldn't make a blanket rule against it. There are legitimate reasons to knock on someone's door unannounced.

For example, a couple years back someone stopped by my house to let me know my dog had escaped our yard and was running down the middle of the street. I didn't know the guy, but he apparently walks past my house a lot and recognized my dog. If I hadn't answered the door simply because I didn't recognize him or because I wasn't expecting anyone, my dog could have been hit by a car.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

I also never answer the door. I hate solicitors. I try to remember a good visual discription of them and their car for future referance.

In my next house, I'm installing airport runway lights outside the door. If I open the door, you won't see me...I'm just sayin'...ya' can't be too careful!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In my next house, I'm installing airport runway lights outside the door. If I open the door, you won't see me...I'm just sayin'...ya' can't be too careful!
    Not to be picky but you want approach lights, not runway lights. But you're right, light is good.

Two nights ago my copilot and I were walking back to the hotel from dinner. He's kind of a goofy kid and was aggravating me a little. I pulled my Surefire LED out of my pocket and lit him up. He said, "Dang, that's like pepper spray for the eyes"! He then decided he had messed with me enough for the night!

It's OK to check the window and look first. If you don't have a window, that's a different story.
    It's not about being "freaked" or "afraid." It's about being sensible. If someone cannot be seen at the door except through the little peep-hole, and if that person is unknown and coming around after dark, there simply aren't enough benefits to be had from answering the door under those (my, and many others') circumstances. Sure, agreed, if the person can be identified ahead of time or if it's daylight and it can be determined the person is who he says he is (ie, delivery person, alone), there aren't a lot of risks. But not all situations are that clean and obvious. It's those situations people are speaking of, when pointing out elements to consider. It's not about fear, freaking or terror. It's about wisely considering the risks and acting accordingly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

One of the biggest dangers of living in an apartment in a high turnover area is the previous resident.

I rode on patrol with a sheriff's deputy buddy for 9 years in a county with a major university in town. We made a number of runs to calls where someone came looking for the previous resident, refused to believe that they had left and caused trouble. A couple guys took severe beatings and one was hospitalized for a couple days.

VIP Member
    Caution, even extreme caution is fine. OTOH, our door rang the other day. It happened to be on a day when there was a murder 1/2 mile from here. At the time the door rang the police had not indicated if the murder was random or not. They had released a vague description of the suspect.

So, as I went to the door I was apprehensive and glad that the person I saw bore no resemblance to the suspect. In fact, my first impression was that it might be a plain clothes detective going door to door in the neighborhood.

Usually, I don't open the front door directly, but this time I did. Turned out to be a back yard neighbor who has lived there for 7 years but somehow we never met. Our dog dug under the fence and he wanted me to know he put her back in our yard and installed a barrier on his side.

Well, the point is basically we need our guard up but I'm not ready to go with runway lighting.

I'd have alienated a good neighbor if this time, especially considering what was going on near here, I had snuck up on him from a side door and scared the bjeebees out of him. (My usual approach to uninvited folk.)

VIP Member

A truly sensible approach. Look out a window. Look through the "peep hole." If neither will give you adequate views, install aninexpensive security camera. These days for about 40-50 bucks you can at least see who is at the door on your tv.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It's not about being "freaked" or "afraid." It's about being sensible. If someone cannot be seen at the door except through the little peep-hole, and if that person is unknown and coming around after dark, there simply aren't enough benefits to be had from answering the door under those (my, and many others') circumstances. Sure, agreed, if the person can be identified ahead of time or if it's daylight and it can be determined the person is who he says he is (ie, delivery person, alone), there aren't a lot of risks. But not all situations are that clean and obvious. It's those situations people are speaking of, when pointing out elements to consider. It's not about fear, freaking or terror. It's about wisely considering the risks and acting accordingly.
    I don't think Shockwave was referring to people that take precautions since he suggested that looking first and making decisions based on the situation is sensible. What you're presenting is exactly the type of precaution he's advocating (if I understand his point correctly). He seems to have been referring to the people that say, "I never answer my door if I'm not expecting somebody."
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links