Just had a knock on my door... - Page 3

Just had a knock on my door...

This is a discussion on Just had a knock on my door... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's possible he was just looking around to see if he recognized the apartment, as in maybe you were a friend opening the door that ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just had a knock on my door...

It's possible he was just looking around to see if he recognized the apartment, as in maybe you were a friend opening the door that he didn't recognize. My appt complex can get confusing, and I walked down the wrong stairwell myself the other day not paying attention while reading an email and walked right up to my same appt number in the next stairway over.

This thread just makes me feel old. It has been35 years since I lived in an apartment, and then not in a big city. There was the crazy old woman next door who was certain she was a princess, although she couldn't remember the details. The couple next door on the other side who always picked 1 AM for either huge fights or very athletic sex...either way, I'd end up shouting thru the wall to turn down the volume. For a while, I rented a room in a house that doubled as the Baptist Student Union...there was nothing unusual about walking into the living room in the morning and finding a total stranger sleeping on the couch. I had a roommate once that left his keys in his truck, in case anyone needed to move it.

I'm not saying caution is wrong. It is just the need makes me feel old, and a bit sad.

For the OP, exact same thing happened to me many years back. Was expecting some friends to come over on a weekday night for viewing of a sporting event (some guests were to be friends of friends so didn't know all of them). So get a knock on the door, look out the peep hole, see a male standing about 7-8 ft back from the door, open up door partially weak side is exposed, strong side hidden w/ weapon holstered. The following occurs,

Guy says, "Hey how's it going"
    "Doing great, what's up," Me in a confused manner expecting to see a bunch of friends outside, but only this guy.
    "Have you ever been to Europe?" Guy says, now my red alert kicks in and notice this guy is not a small dude ~6'1 230, probably about 24-26 yrs old, and by the way he stands, he knows how to handle himself.
    "No, what can I help you with?" I retort
    "I'm selling magazines to fund my school trip to Europe, was wondering if you would like to buy any. I've got a ton for sale..." Guy says. I look down while he talks and see nothing in his hands, no pamphlets, no brochures, paper or any other ordering supplies. I also realize he is wearing cargo shorts, hiked up Nike's, and a dirty white T-shirt (Not exactly sales-man presentable).
    "I'm not interested, thanks," before I get to the word "not", weapon gets un-holstered, and safety gets turned to the off position, makes a loud "click" in the process (at least I thought so :)).
    Guy either heard click or notices I'm doing something with my other arm and looks down towards the middle of the door with a bit of a confused/startled look, "Oh ok, talk to you later"

Mind you, I didn't think too much of it except for the fact he didn't have anything in his hands, he was a big guy, and looked suspicious as hell (not from the apartment complex or anyone I had seen before, granted doesn't mean much). Thought for sure he was either casing or looking for a woman to overpower or something similar, or was just a bumbling idiot. I notified the management staff the next day and they told me they would send on to the PD, as it was definitely not legit (which coming from apt staff, doesn't mean much either). Either way, glad he decided to move on.

I think that the door situation can work both ways. Many years ago, I had just returned home from court and removed my suit coat and was home alone. I heard a knock at the door. I saw a young man 20ish at the door. I opened the door and he started speaking. He said, "Would you be interested, no I guess you wouldn't." and started to walk away. I then realized the picture I presented. I was wearing suit pants, shirt, tie and a Burns & Martin inverted shoulder rig and was holding my grown doberman by the choke chain with my off hand. I called to him, but he just kept going.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I called to him, but he just kept going.
    You probably did him a favor by giving him a story he's been telling for years.

Six or seven years ago, I lived in a house where my 2-bedroom apartment was over the garage and the actual 'house' was also rented. Both had seperate entrances.
    My room mate & I ALWAYS left the front door and the second door leading up the INTERIOR stairs to our apartment unlocked whenever either one of us was home because we always had friends dropping by unnanounced at all times of the day and night (ala "Kramer" from Seinfeld). Both doors were only locked at night when the last one of us went to bed.

Even tho it was a safe neighborhood, in hindsight, I see how foolish that was. Since moving to an actual aparment complex since, my doors are ALWAYS secure 24/7 whether home or away.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Several years back we lived in the hills of SE Missouri on ~100 acres, a "neighbor" could be 5 miles away, as long you were on the same ridge. The house was close to the road and had floor to ceiling picture windows in the living-room. One night I see a guy walking up to the house, he comes up the steps to the porch (only about 4'X4') knocks and goes back down to the walk. I grab my 45 and go to the door and open it with the gun to my side. It was obvious he knew the drill and knew I was armed.

Seems he was a neighbor tracking a deer his wife had wounded and got lost in the dark and was walking the road trying to figure out where he was, saw my deer heads and a turkey on the walls, knew I was a hunter and would understand. When he tells me where he lives it was going to be better than a 10 walk by road to get home, so I told him to stand by and I would get my shoes on and drive him home. I went to the fridge and grabbed a Coke, Mt. Dew and a Killian's Irish Red and offered him his choice. He drained that Killian's like he was dieing of thirst.

I grabbed another Killian's for him on my way out and drove him home. He was a well off local businessman and "home" was his weekend cabin on a 10 acre lake, when we got there he told me to hang on and he would run in the house and get some money to pay for my time. I told him neighbors don't charge neighbors for a little assistance, so he invited me to come fish his lake anytime I wanted, we became buddies (a step down from friends in my vernacular) and the wife and I went over for cook outs and fishing 3 or 4 times a summer till we moved.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I wouldn't have even opened the door if I didn't know the dude...
    Agreed. I don't open my door to solicitors or anyone else that I'm not expecting.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Just to avoid the stress from this type of senario, I've removed my front door..

Rotflmao

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    I don't answer the door ever if I don't know the person and only maybe if I do..........................always carry in the house.

Aren't you depriving yourself of the opportunity to buy some Girl Scout cookies?

LOL, there ya go, Tom D. A definite solution to avoid the situation.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you're not being followed...

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Just to avoid the stress from this type of senario, I've removed my front door..

Personally i am very cautious when someone knocks on the door. 95% of the time i don't answer unless i know the person. the other times my firearm is in my hand on the other side of the partially opened door
    I carry a gun to protect myself & the people I love from the Monsters that roam this earth.

I have often made the comment to my partner, she lives in apartments very similar to mine just in a different city, that our apartments are nothing more then projects just the only tax payers paying rent are us. My apartment started to get the section 8 crowd moving in and I split, I moved back a whole lot closer to work than I was, In a nice quiet neighborhood. My apartment building is the only one around, and it only has 8 units. Everyone knows everyone else, I like it that way (I still keep my guard up of course).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links