Just had a knock on my door...

This is a discussion on Just had a knock on my door... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kind of a none event, but one thing made this note worthy. A guy just knocked on my door, kind of unusual that someone other ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just had a knock on my door...

Just had a knock on my door...

Kind of a none event, but one thing made this note worthy.

A guy just knocked on my door, kind of unusual that someone other than my friends would knock on my door, I grab my gun and hold it behind my back, crack the door and he say "hey man.. uh, (somewhat long pause) I think I have the wrong apartment sorry." He seemed actually confused (not like he had planned coming to my door) the only thing that makes me post this is he almost seemed to look around a little, so much so that i pushed to door closed a little more than it was.

I know I'm a little paranoid, so people who are a little less paranoid than me what do you think?

Also I live in a large apartment complex, with two "phases" each has almost 25 buildings, so I see how someone could get a little confused about the location of a friends place.

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't have even opened the door if I didn't know the dude...

Knock.

Sorry. Used to teach school. lol

I never open the door unless I absolutely am expecting someone...or a package. That's what the peep hole is for, plus my house is "L" shaped so I have a clear view of the front door from my upstairs office.

oops, thats why I always have someone else proof read my papers.

I know I probably shouldn't have opened the door, probably wouldn't again. If I had felt the need to have my gun behind my back, I should have felt that opening the door was not the best idea.

You know....actually......I know the apartment scene. Lived in an apartment for over a year. Last year matter of fact. The newspaper people, the Jehovah's witnesses, the religious conversationalists, the mistaken identities.......they all got the same response when they knocked on my door (and I lived upstairs at the end). Pistol right out in front tucked into my waistband. No secrets. Anyone disturbs me at home (whether house or apartment.......... unexpectedly) gets the same treatment. Living in an apartment complex is a world of it's own. Especially close to a college town. I've seen a lot of weird stuff go down, and a few times I called the local police over the ordeal. Heck....I came close to shooting a neighbor's dog when it became aggressive toward me while taking my trash to the dumpster. They let it run loose which was against city code and property management.
    Paranoid?
    Get real.
    Those who know they got the wrong apartment after initial contact and still look around are usually on something (drugs perhaps). I used to have tenants from across the way come over to our balcony and sit in our outside furniture and be loud in conversation while out in front of my apartment. I always checked to see who was out there, and sometimes asked them kindly to leave. I always.....always had my pepper spray in hand no matter what. We went through about two months worth of crackheads living downstairs, supposedly brother and sister and babysitting other siblings. The apartment scene is something I chalk up to good experience, but I'd like to not do it again. Keep being paranoid and you'll do well.
    They eyeball too long, and you blind them with the pepper spray......that way, you'll stay on the good side of the law, and hopefully they won't get the wrong apartment again. They'll also know you mean business. If they come back with several of their indigent buddies, then you'll know a first report is good, and a more convincing response is in order.

Man I hate it when I get the wrong apartment, itís so awkward. My philosophy is, it happens.

Just messin with ya LR :)

I had that same thing happen when I lived in an apt. Just advice...stay alert for the next week or so. Could have been casing.

Another incident just happened this month in my new home. I goofily left the for sale sign up after we bought this place...no honest reason why. Had a guy bang on my door at 10pm all frantic and excited asking "How much is the house!?"

Really? Mind you, I live on a dead end out in cow pasture land. Nobody just happens upon my road.

I calmly informed him that he was trespassing on private property and suggested he leave the way he came...with a quickness. All the while I had my Glock 19 behind my leg.

So...it happens more often than you think. Just stay alert, stay armed and stay safe.

Could've been checking to see if someone was home before picking the lock, could've been looking to see if it was worth coming back for; could've just been looking for his buddy, consider it a reminder to keep your guard up.

And I'll second the keep the door shut until you get an identification of whoever is outside, it's very easy to compromise the entryway, a simple foot in the door (literally) and you've lost any leverage advantage with the door not to mention opening yourself up to the possibility of addition attackers outside the field of view from the peep hole. If it is someone looking to do you harm it's one more way to keep you from being a victim in the first place, instead of fighting for your life as they make entry.

Glock Certified Armorer

Ramrod, I know what you mean about the college town, UCA is right down the road... Luckily I only have a week left in this place till I move, I'll still be in an apartment, but it's a single apartment building in a nice neighborhood. I lived there once before and took it for granted. Till I buy a house I think I'm going to stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by LRFireEMS View Post
    oops, thats why I always have someone else proof read my papers.

I know I probably shouldn't have opened the door, probably wouldn't again. If I had felt the need to have my gun behind my back, I should have felt that opening the door was not the best idea.
    We're somewhat creatures of habit. A peep-hole in the door, and an outside light works well to identify. Don't question yourself in your response or opening the door. Just that you're prepared is what matters most. The two kids that sold me on getting the local newspaper looked real suspicious at first glance. But they were hungry and willing to make a deal and work for it. I actually let them come in, and when one of them saw the case of bottled water sitting on top of the fridge asked if he could have some water. So I gave him a bottle of water and his brother too. You've got to judge humanity on a case-by-case basis. You also need to be ready for those times you are unable to judge exactly what's happening at the time. Then you always need to be ready. Paranoid has nothing to do with it.
    One case I'll recommend a less than lethal alternative.........apartment living. Pepper spray is good to have! I'll guarantee it.

VIP Member
    Put a sign on the door. YOU ARE BEING WATCHED - STATE YOUR BUSINESS

I stand to the side of a window in my doors. Sometimes it is hard to keep from laughing. I can see them looking around for a camera. Then they start talking to themselves or just leave.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Put a sign on the door. YOU ARE BEING WATCHED - STATE YOUR BUSINESS

I stand to the side of a window in my doors. Sometimes it is hard to keep from laughing. I can see them looking around for a camera. Then they start talking to themselves or just leave.

LOL funny!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    Could've been checking to see if someone was home before picking the lock.
    Had this happen before. Knock at the door, didn't recognize the person, so grabbed my shotgun and I waited for him to leave. A few minutes later he jiggles the door handle and then I hear scraping noises. So I pumped the shotgun. He hightailed it outta there and that was the last I saw of him. Lol!
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend. - US Marine Corps

Quote Originally Posted by LRFireEMS View Post
    I know I'm a little paranoid, [but] ...
    You aren't paranoid. Time to erase that thought from your head. There are most definitely criminals looking for single people who answer doors when strangers come knocking. It could only legitimately be called paranoia if that weren't true. Welcome to the waking world.

You're in an apartment, in a complex with nearly 50 buildings. Buddy, in prior decades, such build-ups were called "the projects" and they were often the home base of criminals and, once things ran down, a center of criminal activity. It certainly doesn't hurt to be a bit circumspect with people you don't know.

That being said, I suppose his reaction is similar to how I would look and feel if I mistakenly selected the wrong apartment amongst 50 choices. I'd probably look a bit surprised, look around a bit, then (if realizing my error) head off to my actual destination. He might well have been someone who got the address wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BrunetteMP View Post
    Had this happen before. Knock at the door, didn't recognize the person ... A few minutes later he jiggles the door handle and then I hear scraping noises.
    Yup. It's not at all funny how frequently that sort of thing occurs.

Typically, though, I don't open doors for those whom I don't know. Perhaps it seems a bit "cool" to do that at a residence. But, consider at a business, when salespeople do cold calls and try to wedge their way in the offices to see various decision makers. It's common practice for the front office staff to weed out such cold callers, to get a copy of whatever contact information they have (in the form of a business card and brochure), then assure such people that if the decision maker decides to avail himself/herself of the service or product being peddled that the person will make the appropriate contacts. It's simple and effective, both keeping the decision makers free to do their normal business as well as keeping them "safe" from unwanted "cold" contacts off the street. At home, it's little different, though we're now speaking of our safety from crime. IMO, it's better to be perceived a little "cool" by people we've never met than to step into a bog of our own making.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links