TV show "The Defenders"

TV show "The Defenders"

This is a discussion on TV show "The Defenders" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Watched the show last night, (pilot episode, I believe). They kind of got it wrong, I think. The lawyers are defending a guy that was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV show "The Defenders"

TV show "The Defenders"

Watched the show last night, (pilot episode, I believe).
    They kind of got it wrong, I think.
    The lawyers are defending a guy that was charged with open murder.
    Here's the story, shooters brother is accused of slashing tires of neighbor over dispute the day before about a noisy party at neighbors.
    Both shooter and brother are early 20's, Shooter is about 150 lbs, brother maybe 140 lbs.
    The neighbor (victum) and 3 friends attack brother and shooter. All four of the attackers are 220 to 260 pound college football players.

The attackers have the brother down on ground, kicking and mashing his head to the concrete. The shooter goes into the house, retrieves a gun.

When he exits the house he attempts to fire a warning shot, which strikes the victum in the back, (Defense claims he turned when he saw the gun).

The defense argues that he did not mean to kill the guy, so its involentary manslaughter.

Given the disparity of force, since at the moment of the shot, it's 4 larger guys attacking one guy, or at best its 4 against two, shouldn't they have claimed disparity of force, justifing use of deadly force, because even a warning shot is still use of deadly force?

TV? Get it right?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Believe they call that the "liberal media"

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    Believe they call that the "liberal media"
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend. - US Marine Corps

I saw that show. I agree it was pretty far from reality. They should have said he fired the gun to save the life of his brother. If someone was beating a loved one and the only access I had was to shoot him in the back, I would hate to, but world be forced to shoot anyway . Hollywood does real , legal gunowners no favors.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

I didn't see it, but it sounds like typical Hollywood/media nonsense. In the entertainment industry, there are two truisms:

1. Nothing short of a gun can actually kill anyone. No amount of bashing heads against concrete, no amount of kicks right to the temple, no clubs, bats, or knives.

2. Any gun, even if the barrel looks like a .22 at best, will send a 350-pound man flying 20 feet back against a wall while 15 gallons of blood soaks the entire area.

And further, this sounds like a common plot with a "valuable message" to all of us; "Use a gun under any circumstances and you'll go to prison!" Period. The situation doesn't matter. Only Police should ever have guns and any citizen who's crazy enough to own one of those awful things is a walking time bomb, just waiting to irresponsibly end someone's life.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

As my wife says when I criticize gun handling, laws, etc on a tv show, "Its not supposed to be real."

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    As my wife says when I criticize gun handling, laws, etc on a tv show, "Its not supposed to be real."
    Yet sadly it often becomes "real", or at least what the uneducated, unknowing, and ignorant think is real.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; September 23rd, 2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    A TV show is the wrong source of information when it comes to tactics. After all, they call it entertainment. You want to learns something on the tube, buy and watch a training video or DVD, say for example, the ones from Thunder Ranch.

I don't understand...

I get all my knowledge of gun handling from tv.

I get all my legal advice from tv.

I get all my medical advice from tv.

I get good values on things I need from QVC.

And, paid programming is the best!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Oakchas, I like good sarcasm as much as the next person, but there innumerable idiots out there that do in fact believe everything they see on TV.

Witness the recent conviction of a 15 YO BOY who killed his 10 YO BROTHER because he wanted to be like "Dexter".

EP
    Hey, I hear that... I tried to "fly" the length of the sofa just like Superman (in the '60s)... I was also convinced that I could jump out of a 3 story window with a sheet as a parachute... fortunately, I didn't try that... someone convinced me there wouldn't be enough time for the "chute" to open... I did re-visit the thought when we moved into a hi-rise, but was again convinced that since we didn't live near the top, only on the 5th floor, it still wouldn't work.

I wonder why I got a pilot's license as an adult?

While it is unfortunate that we have full grown adults that expect entertainment to provide anything realistic... And equally unfortunate that entertainment media can't bring themselves to BE realistic in some of their portrayals. It is far worse that our youth are so inured to violence through sources of entertainment that they don't understand the consequences of violence that they may choose to participate in...

P.S. I did not mean anything against the original poster... in that last paragraph... And it is good to discuss these "plays" and talk about what portions are plausible and which are bupkus.
    Last edited by oakchas; September 24th, 2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: to add post script
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Oddly enough, they actually did a fairly good job on the realities of a SD shooting (not that I have any experience) with only the participants in the event as witnesses (he said, she said....). Anti gun DA, typical distortion of the facts, opinionated "Expert Witnesses". Financial ruin, sittin' in jail waiting for trial, talking to the police before you secure an attorney (everything you say will be used against you), losing house to pay legal fees, anxiety, Jury could go either way...

Clearly CSI (tv show) did not investigate that crime scene or they would have solved it before it went to trial and the brother would have received a "No Bill".

Yes it is Hollywood, but the end result I got was not slanted anti. If anything a cautionary tale. More "Yes, you can own a gun, and legally use it, but you will run the risk of losing everything", than "Guns are evil".

If real, and I in that position, I surely would have been getting my attorney to read up on disparity of force laws (that was obvious).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    TV/movie writers have no idea, and don't care about what reality is. I used to say you take them with a grain of salt, it's gotten so bad anymore, you need a whole box of salt now!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Why do we even waste our time discussing movies and TV programs. Most of it is with 'anti' threads woven everywhere, it isn't near realistic, and lastly...who cares?
    I can remember one show where the detective opened the "revolver" to discover four unused bullets and two missing shells...then stated, he must have fired two shots.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links