How would you have handeled this?-- Man chasing woman with knife

This is a discussion on How would you have handeled this?-- Man chasing woman with knife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You would be doing both a favor... Dementia is not a fun thing, and neither is being stabbed....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would you have handeled this?-- Man chasing woman with knife

You would be doing both a favor... Dementia is not a fun thing, and neither is being stabbed.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Don't underestimate the abilities of an older person who has dementia.

My late grandfather was pretty frail in his autumn years. But back in the SeaBees in his youth, he was a champion boxer. One night some young man decided to break into their home while they were asleep. Unfortunately for the young man, when my grandfather awoke, in his mind he was in his 20s again in. He beat three kinds of snot out of the burglar, breaking the idiot's jaw in two places and knocking him unconscious.

If you interacted with granddad while he was lucid, you would never, ever have believed that he could do that. I'm sure the burglar didn't, at first.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

The first thing I thought of when I read the title to this post was the Dirty Harry quote. Can't remember the exact words but something along the line they aren't collecting for the red cross.

Not a funny situation now that I have read the article.

Bob

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i am guessing the victim is going to be shouting out requests for help and possibly that she doesnt want him hurt either if possible...i dont see pepper spray as a solution as it is a chase and there is a good possibility with that kind of movement you are going to end up wearing some yourself...if the aggressor is recognizeable as frail or not of sound mind i would probably try to strike and takedown without full body contact such as a blow to the knees or trip from the side or behind...with lethal force as a last resort...

i see similarities here to a couple quarreling...you dont know either party....your involvement may not be the solution either party is looking for so the best course is a non lethal one and to gain control over the situation until it can be sorted out....going lethal may turn into a community against you for shooting an old man with dimensia scenario...the gun is the last resort....

i might approach this one with my baton if i'm getting out of my car...

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm reading between the lines. We all know how criminals use the insanity defense when all else fails. Here you have the circumstance where the offender is being taken somewhere he probably doesn't want to go. On top of this is the fact that he was charged with a crime by police, even though his condition is known and documented. My take is subject is angry at being taken to a location he probably detests. Subject takes out anger on person in closest proximity. Subject realizes that his attack isn't suceeding and "snaps" out of it and feigns helping out intended victim. Police arrive, investigate, don't buy attackers statement and arrest him.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

At first I wasn't going to post an opinion because in my mind I can't say what I would do without having been there and witnessing the totality of the circumstances that you would face. Then I thought that that is kind of the point. If for example it was someone like my father, early 70's, brain damage from a tumor that was removed, but bodily still a beast you would likely have to shoot. Your just not going to take him down with a knife in his hand. On the other hand, if it's some frail, little old man, it might be a different story. Add to all that, what are you capable of? What training have you had? Being a retired MP, I've been physically involved in altercations many times and have a base of knowledge. The accountant from down the street may not have that experience to draw split second decision making skills from. The short version- Guess you had to be there.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    maybe what we need to do to seperate guncentric answers is to think for a moment about what you might do if you stumbled on the same situation without your gun...then decide what you are going to do...

and please...if the answer is i never leave home without my gun then maybe this question isnt for you to answer...the "it wouldnt happen to me" is pretty tiresome....lets forget for a moment about our super powers and think about another possible solution...

How many go for the "kill" shot on the old man vs going for a shot in the leg?

Don't give me the If I pull my weapon I am going for COM.

Big diffrence between old man and thug.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    old man with a knife, even in the situation where he has already used lethal force, my first thought would be draw firearm, use voice commands to talk him down, if that dosen't work, i would consider other options, up to and including lethal force
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Having had one of the geriatric crowd attempt to skewer me with an 8" kitchen knife before, I can attest to not wanting to overestimate my abilities, nor underestimate my opponent.

I would handle this the same way I would handle any other situation, by assessing first, and making a decision on what I would do based upon my assessment.

Biker

To me, this falls under the "if your only tool is a hammer, then every problem begins to look like a nail." Why not try to pull your vehicle between him and the victim, employ pepper spray. I don't see an immediate need to go first to lethal force...that's why I carry more than just one method of defense. Just my thoughts.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Elderly with a knife..... Nope, not gonna use deadly force. Middle aged with a knife, he's toast.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Not enough time to deal with it, I'd just call the police. But the common law approach says that if I see the second party in dire danger and it is safe to do so, then either use whatever weapon you have or what is closest to use as a weapon. But I sure am not going to disarm a knifer. Barehanded knife disarms are dangerous and very difficult and would only use those techniques as a last resort if there are no other weapons available. No matter how well trained are you in them, you still risk a much greater chance of getting cut rather than when you deal with it with some type of weapon in your hand. It isn't easy like they are falsely portrayed in the movies.

I would have to assess the situation first.... my first thought would be to intervene, talk to him, distract him..... then if i feel threaten draw my weapon.

^^ I think I might do the same, but I'd have drawn my weapon, although it would be at a low ready. I'd put some decent distance between us too, as much as I can but still keep his attention.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links