Carjack scenario - what do I do?

This is a discussion on Carjack scenario - what do I do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I imagine this has already been answered before, but I'm a newbie. Scenario: I'm in car, drivers seat, stopped, wife in passenger seat, toddler in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carjack scenario - what do I do?

Carjack scenario - what do I do?

I imagine this has already been answered before, but I'm a newbie.

Scenario: I'm in car, drivers seat, stopped, wife in passenger seat, toddler in rear car seat, and BG approaches with gun in hand, demanding us to pile out and he take the car... I have gun in holster within reach, and could probably draw and fire. Am I within my rights to do so? (I have permit to carry). Does anything change if a knife is his only weapon?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Short answer - if you perceive a lethal threat and are in fear of serious harm to yourself or your loved ones you would IMO be justified in using your weapon. In that situation your options have all but gone too.

If already under gun point is another matter as to whether you would have a chance - tho thru subterfuge while semi concealed in your vehicle, you could probably manage.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bryce26
    I imagine this has already been answered before, but I'm a newbie.

Scenario: I'm in car, drivers seat, stopped, wife in passenger seat, toddler in rear car seat, and BG approaches with gun in hand, demanding us to pile out and he take the car... I have gun in holster within reach, and could probably draw and fire. Am I within my rights to do so? (I have permit to carry). Does anything change if a knife is his only weapon?
    If you don't see him coming in time to draw and take care of him, I would recommend appearing to cooperate. One big problem is the toddler in the car seat; you will want to quickly remove him, but the BG is probably in a big hurry. You need to find a way to distract him and draw on him, or perhaps slap his gun away and draw. Personally I don't mind risking my life to defend my family; I don't want the SOB driving away with my kid.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

You Are Within Your Rights to Draw and Shoot

Whether he has a gun or a knife, if he is trying to take your car away with your baby in it.

Dicey situation if he's already got a piece pointed your way, but you've got one good chance and only one good chance to prevent potentially catastrophic harm to your family, so I'm saying you've got to take it. Get him distracted if at all possible, if only for an instant, then shoot center mass till lockback.

If he's got a knife, while you may be within your rights to ventilate him, it might be better to try driving off if the doors are locked and the windows are down.

I've heard you don't try to out-draw a drawn gun...however, if possible, hit the gas!! and duck!!

If you get out of the car, by the time you are out of your (drivers) seat and he hasn't killed you yet, he'll have the car in gear and gas down before you get your toddler out (and possibly your wife). That said (and I will contradict myself here), draw and fire until the threat stops.

Definitely something to think about...keep your situational awareness..stay out of condition WHITE.

One's atuomobile is a bastion of vulnerability...

Your foot on the gas will get you out trouble better than your finger on the trigger. Do the math, a 2,000 lb guided missle vs. a bullet.

Ditto on the car "missile". Turn into him as you floor it to make him move. Lay on horn to as you go.

The only way I'd draw would be if the engine was off or I was totally boxed in by semi's.

VIP Member
    Hopefully you always have your doors locked. If he's got a gun and you have the space (even if you clip the car in front of you) to gas your way out of there that's what I'd do!

I'm a big advocate of rehearsing scenarios and this is a good one to think about. So many variables to consider!

+1 Thumper
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper
    Hopefully you always have your doors locked. If he's got a gun and you have the space (even if you clip the car in front of you) to gas your way out of there that's what I'd do!

I'm a big advocate of rehearsing scenarios and this is a good one to think about. So many variables to consider!
    Many cars have an autolock feature love it, but it has been said above the safety of your kid is NO 1 on the list. Unfortunately I have read several stories of just such a incident where the BG took off with the kid in the car, the recovery rate of the child unharmed is only about 50% not good odds. So if your cannot get out of dodge fake compliance fumble the keys onto the ground when you exit the car when the BG is distracted picking them up put your gun to the BG's head and pull that trigger without a second's hesitation, you are a Dad protecting his kids life and no court in the world (except England) will convict you of anything.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I am shooting unless I can speed away . Who says that he is going to let me and my wife live? Who says that he is going to let me unstrap my son from his car seat?
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; July 1st, 2006 at 12:26 AM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I would say in most situation when in your car that is not boxed-in use the car its bigger and better than anything on your hip. Hit the thin pedel and get out of the area if you can. When you stop at night have your wife watch her side for BGs this way you only have to watch half the area, the more eyes the better.

If he has a knife you may gain time as it will be hard to threaten you from outside a locked car, but use the car if you can.

If you are in a not so well lit part of town tuck your gun under your leg this way you can get to it faster, thats what I do in areas like Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport should I have to there after hours.

1) Preferred option. Hit the gas! Bug-out boogie! Call the local gendarmerie.

2) If you're boxed in. (Shame on you for allowing yourself to get boxed in.) Shoot him until he's down. Be aware of accomplices in case they're the ones that boxed you in. I'll get the ones on the drivers side, my wife can handle the other side (what? you're wife isn't packing? tsk,tsk) -- nobody messes with my young bride! When she's with me, we've got double the firepower.

3) If he only has a knife, keep the windows rolled up, the doors locked, and say "Neener, neener!" as you drive away. Now if he tries to scratch my ride, he's goin' down . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I totally agree with Sheldon. NO hesitation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links