Open Carry and ADT Alarm

Open Carry and ADT Alarm

This is a discussion on Open Carry and ADT Alarm within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A guy a work with is the Commander at a local VFW post. The other night he got a call from the security company saying ...

Thread: Open Carry and ADT Alarm

Open Carry and ADT Alarm

A guy a work with is the Commander at a local VFW post. The other night he got a call from the security company saying that the VFW had an alarm indicating a possible burglary. He told them he would go over and check it out. The security company asked him if they should call the police. He said yes strapped on his P95 and went over to the VFW. He pulled up right after the police and got out and started explaining he was the post commander. About that time the cop sees the gun on his hip and told him to put it in his truck. He did and they didn't find anything bad. I'm assuming he did the reasonable thing and I guess he would have to listen to the police officers orders. He was never asked anything else about the gun when it was over. Good outcome?

Definitely good outcome!
    Thing is...the days of the posse are over (for the most part).
    IMO...the post commander got off good even though he might have been prepared to take things on his own....I'm not sure this was the right thing to do. You only put yourself between life and death with the portrayal of deadly force......you never go in on the offensive. Any display is generally taken as an act to deploy without reason for defense. Be careful in what you do and how you do it IMO. Not many heroes these days. Survive to see the next day, and you'll be a hero unto yourself. Most times, the difference in being a hero or a zero are very near and not so far apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Definitely good outcome!
    Thing is...the days of the posse are over (for the most part).
    IMO...the post commander got off good even though he might have been prepared to take things on his own....I'm not sure this was the right thing to do. You only put yourself between life and death with the portrayal of deadly force......you never go in on the offensive. Any display is generally taken as an act to deploy without reason for defense. Be careful in what you do and how you do it IMO. Not many heroes these days. Survive to see the next day, and you'll be a hero unto yourself. Most times, the difference in being a hero or a zero are very near and not so far apart.
    Great post Ram. Words we could all learn from.

Like many things, it depends. I was running an em motor route for the local paper for extra cash and at one of my deliveries, a stop and rob, there was a window smash of the front door. I called the pd and sat watching the front door until the lone officer got there. I told him that I had seen no one leave, but didn't know if they had left prior to my arrival. He said that it was busy and he had no backup coming. I advised him where I was retired from and told him I would back him up, if he wished. He said, "Lets do it." . They were GPA, but I felt good that he did not have to go in alone.

Could have been worse, they could have hassled him.

Could have been better, he could have stayed armed.

It's a toss up. It's unlikely most LEO's would allow you to stay armed when they show up to investigate.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

good outcome...police where there... they need to be cautious he could have been the burglar lying for all they know
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

mrm
    I used to recieve burgler alarms all the time cause an ex-employee (near as I can figure) kept breaking the stupid window (which are $1100 a piece). They would hide there face very well from the security cameras they apparently knew were there.
    Anyway the alarm company would call police and then me, so I would run down there but would throw my Glock 27 on in my crossbreed, the police officers never asked or even glanced my way (this is only my opinion and please take it that way) but why is it people dont just conceal it the way they do in the daytime so they dont get harrased by the police if someone came out of the building real fast and got the best of the police officer you are going to wish it was not locked in the truck.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yep, let the LEOs handle it. I see no problem here.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Either handle it yourself or call the cops, BACK OFF, and let them handle it - totally. Strapping on a gun for "self defense" does not make us cops, militia, vigilantes, security guards or anything else offensive. In fact, being on the offensive automatically puts you in the wrong in most states if a gunfight occurs. Don't jump out of the boat and chase the sharks.

All that being said, I object to the cops disarming him, if he was carrying legally. Cops are gonna have to learn it's not us they should fear, and it IS our right to go about armed under the law.

Sorry, I'm not a part of the world's largest street gang, but if he's legally open carrying, no officer should have the right or authority to tell him otherwise. We have laws that protect against that.

Is this any difference when the police were going door-to-door to disarm legally-abiding citizens with guns?

Very good outcome...he's not a cop...he did what he was told...he was not hassled...no BG's found.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links