"active shooter" response scenario - Page 3

"active shooter" response scenario

This is a discussion on "active shooter" response scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All wrong answers. This is what you do!!! First shot is you take out the lights. (Now the BG cannot see what he is shooting ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "active shooter" response scenario

All wrong answers. This is what you do!!! First shot is you take out the lights. (Now the BG cannot see what he is shooting at) At the same time you slip out of your pocket your night vision goggles and place them on your head. While running towards the target with a slide taking out BG at the knees causing him to drop his weapon and as he is falling backwards I would be firing 1 COM shot. Ended the deadly rampage.
    Saving the Mayors' and Governors' life. Ticker tape parade. Getting a key to the city. Banging the homecoming queen.

That's just me.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

No other "old guy" table hoppers, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    No other "old guy" table hoppers, huh?
    My hopper don't work so good no mo'.

Biker

Senior Moderator
    Its an active shoot.

The only priority is to stop the threat...right now.

Looking for cover,concealment,moving to a better position, hesitating, shock, awe, indecision, waiting for a better shot...all of this can and will cost lives when an active shooter is shooting.

Draw you gun and shoot till the threat ceases. When he is down, you move quickly to him, remove the weapon and you make dang sure that he is no longer a threat.

Let someone else call 911 and pay attention to the threat. Scan the area and make sure that there is no other threat.

As I've heard it said when training in active shooter scenarios....dont think...shoot. If you run, run towards the shooter while emptying your weapon into him.Charge the sucker with the intent to kill him and be done with it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

That was the reasoning behind the table hopping (on top of) in my original response.

Senior Moderator
    Table hopping is only appropriate if you are drinking large amounts of Tequila.

Just kidding Guantes....couldn't resist.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Very true in some instances , but in this one it might provide the quickest possible shot at the shooter.

In most of these banquet rooms, the tables are staggered so there would be no direct path to the shooter... except tabletop... My concern for "tabletopping" would be the instability of the tables... they're top heavy and legs are near center.

I would like to think I would head toward the shooter, most direct route possible... Pulling the trigger all the way... IRL, I cannot say for certain I know what I'd do.

So, HotGuns, what happens to your S.O. in this scenario? And, would you begin your charge after the first shot? the second?

Would the action change for anyone if after the first shots at the dais, the guy turned around, "center stage"... and put the gun under his chin pointing upward (or at his own temple)?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    In most of these banquet rooms, the tables are staggered so there would be no direct path to the shooter... except tabletop... My concern for "tabletopping" would be the instability of the tables... they're top heavy and legs are near center.

I would like to think I would head toward the shooter, most direct route possible... Pulling the trigger all the way... IRL, I cannot say for certain I know what I'd do.

So, HotGuns, what happens to your S.O. in this scenario? And, would you begin your charge after the first shot? the second?

Would the action change for anyone if after the first shots at the dais, the guy turned around, "center stage"... and put the gun under his chin pointing upward (or at his own temple)?
    my concern with table topping is the time and agility involved in getting up there and hoping for stability that might not exist with panicking people all around and under...in addtion to the full body exposure you are commiting to the shooter in the process...i dont expect there to be a direct route to the shooter but i dont expect that running in a straight line is the best idea either...movement toward and behind a wall of bullets is my only solution other than hiding and waiting for a reload....if he hasnt gotten me by then...

the gu in his chin or temple will only change my mind if he pulls the trigger or asks me to do it for him....

I think the table hopping, getting up on one, not hopping from one to another, would provide the fastest possible shot at the shooter.
    I don't think it would be that difficult to hop up on one.
    They are not that easy to tip over.
    The full body exposure I addressed as being more appropriate to one older without the responsibilities of small children or a younger family.
    Gun under chin, I would still shoot him, he might change his mind and resume shooting.

They are not that easy to tip over.
    Why do you say that? You have not seen all tables, and you probably haven't tried to tip over any of them. In some halls, the tables are long, 6-8 footers. However, they are not heavy.

They can't be.

As some here probably know, when patrons vacate a banquet hall, the staff move in and clear the room for the next event. The tables have to be broken down and moved quickly, and there are carts where the tables are turned sideways and stacked, like so many slices of bread. None require more than two people to carry and flipping one over would be a trifle.

Very easy. In some other kinds of halls and banquets, the tables are called "rounds," and can usually seat 8 or so. Personally, for this scenario I was imagining this sort. Again, these must be easily movable and they will not weigh 10,000 lbs nor have massive bases. Rather, one person could easily turn one on end.

In either case, what, with people running and screaming and streaming for the exits, tables will be being overturned left and right in the general panic. So pushing the one in front of you over and getting your companion and yourself behind it would take about a second, maybe two. Now you can peer around the side and line up a shot with the gunman in full view, whereas even if he is looking in your direction, he might not see you at all.

Jumping up on a table seems like an odd strategy, and based on the assumption that the shooter is a poor marksman and won't notice your antics. He may be using a full-size gun with better accuracy than your CCW. About all one could do here is wait in a defensive position until he's in range, lining up the shot and taking it ASAP. A lot of these considerations really do depend on how the furniture in the room is arranged.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

No, I have not seen "all" tables, but I have set up and taken down a crap load of them, round, square, rectanguler, etc, working charitable events, Yes they are heavy and do not tip over that easy, I assure you that.

Jumping on a table is not based on the assumption that he is a poor marksman or won't notice. The point IS that he notice, to take his attention off shooting at everyone else. MY ccw's are full size guns. The elevation from atop a table will eiminate most considerations regarding furniture arrangement in the room.

I'll leave the table hopping, or running across the tops of the tables, for the comic book super heroes, action movie stunt doubles and spectactular day dreams. In reality, I would do my best to get my spouse to saftey while looking to take as many shots at the BG needed to end the threat. After making sure my wife was safe, what collateral damage did my rounds cause would be my only after thought.

Each person should do what they deem best.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links