"active shooter" response scenario - Page 4

"active shooter" response scenario

This is a discussion on "active shooter" response scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was envisioning rounds when I started the scenario.. but didn't specify. G, You may have a weight advantage on me... I'm 6'2" and 235... ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I was envisioning rounds when I started the scenario.. but didn't specify.

G,
    You may have a weight advantage on me... I'm 6'2" and 235... all my weight on the edge of a round would probably tip it, stepping from chair seat to tabletop.

Now we're picking nits... but there is also the coefficient of friction of the table cloth to the table surface, making it possibly interesting to move from one table to another.

I agree with the interesting, attention getting action of moving up. Might be a tactical advantage, anything to get the deviant to pause momentarily to think what it means...

Having moved rounds before though, it was easier to lift an edge to put it away than to press down on it... so it might hold my weight after all...

Just kind of thinking aloud here... all the things that we wouldn't have time for IRL.

My conclusions?

If I'm shooting, I'm shooting all I got. I'd like to think a steady slow head shot.. from behind a pillar, but most of these (newer) rooms are clear span.
    I'm probably moving towards him as fast as possible, not firing from cover, concealment, DOOFUS, whatever.
    If I'm doing those things, I might die a "hero." Don't know if that's the best course of action or not.
    My best chance for a kill shot or series, is when his back is towards me as he's facing the dais after the first shot, or once I see the gun come out. If I miss, then it has to be the run and gun.

10 seconds was a lot of time..

It certainly would be a tasteless (and possibly deadly) prank if the "shooter" was an old antagonist to one of the feted (secretly invited for a GAG) with a BANG flag gun, but I could see that happening at some of these types of events... Think Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    It certainly would be a tasteless (and possibly deadly) prank if the "shooter" was an old antagonist to one of the feted (secretly invited for a GAG) with a BANG flag gun, but I could see that happening at some of these types of events... Think Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin.
    he has already shot 2 people at the front of the room as you discover he is a gunman...

Maybe I was not clear enough in my initial post. I made no mention or intention of hopping from table to table. Getting up on one table for an elevation advantage was the point. I'm 5'8" 155 lbs, been a ballroom dancer and rock climber for much of my life, so I consider my balance pretty decent.

As I tried to make clear in my initial post, I consider it a reasonably balanced risk/reward propostion, but not one I would consider advisable for one with younger children or a young family.

The most recent one of these that I attended, the "joke" would have gone over very badly and I don't think that the comedian would have liked the response as it was a Medal of Valor ceremony.

As I have mentioned befor, actions that I would take are not suggestions for others.

I agree that we have reached the point where the coyotes are snipping at the carrion of this discussion.

Mr. Gloves, you have an "outside the box" approach that I commend, as it has certainly served you well in your endeavors.

Biker

Thank you. "Outside the box" has been both a blessing and a curse, at different times, that I am beset with.

I have caught burglars who did a roof entry, with no signs at ground level, by climbing up the side of a building to the roof.

Gloves you DID clarify "one table," on this page, I missed it....

Yeah, some of these events are somber occasions... some are roasts... all jocularity... some are a mix of the two.

As to the "comedian." If you happened to watch him as he entered the room, walk to the dais, pause and talk, and just before the first shot went off... It could be a gag gun... And, if the room were full of LEOs and the entrant was unknown to most... Yikes! (but that wasn't the original intent anyway)
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    Well this thread has given me more ideas on how to deal with this type of scenario.

I originally thought that I send my wife toward an exit while i engage the gun man by either advancing towards him while firing or going the opposite direction that my wife took, ie I would draw fire toward me and away from her.

But I now believe that having her under the table and hidden from view would be the safest place while I assualt the gun man. I hope that I could advance on him with a steady rate of highly accurate fire.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    I'll leave the table hopping, or running across the tops of the tables, for the comic book super heroes, action movie stunt doubles and spectactular day dreams. In reality, I would do my best to get my spouse to saftey while looking to take as many shots at the BG needed to end the threat. After making sure my wife was safe, what collateral damage did my rounds cause would be my only after thought.
    table hopping, reserved for days i feel as fly as a G6

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    table hopping, reserved for days i feel as fly as a G6
    lol I played the video on my phone and my girls were dancing around the kitchen.

I would read about it in the news the next day. We here in SC can not carry in places that have a license to serve alcohol for consumption.
    Certified Glock Armorer

If the shooter is anywhere up to and including 50 yards, he gets taken out with a headshot from my 3.8" XD(m) 9mm. The next thing I do is call my lawyer.

Double check the background...lights out!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by CyanLite View Post
    If the shooter is anywhere up to and including 50 yards, he gets taken out with a headshot from my 3.8" XD(m) 9mm. The next thing I do is call my lawyer.
    I hope my sarcasm detector isn't broken?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I hope my sarcasm detector isn't broken?
    it probably looks good on paper....

VIP Member
    For me--.not hopping on tables, no turning over tables. My wife already knows if the SHTF what she is supposed to do whether we are in a store, parking lot, or in a room as in this scenario.

If she is not carrying (for whatever reason as in this scenario) she will on 911 giving info on where, what, and who I am and what I'm wearing while sneaking her way out of harms way if possible.
    Meanwhile I will be going towards the shooter while putting 45 rounds from my G30 into him as fast as possible. Active shooters must be stopped ASAP...period and I will make my way to him to end this as quickly as possible. I'm 6'4" so I can see over most of the crowd so this will help me, but I know at the same time it makes me stick out more than others. No matter what, I'll be on the front sight and on the trigger until this guy is down.
    As for him putting the gun to his chin/head as was suggested in earlier post....if he doesn't shoot himself or drop it at my first command then I shoot him. Thats me being a LEO, others and persons in other states, etc may be in deep if they do this, but I can justify it by a)he just shot people and is still a threat with the firearm in his hand b)he isn't complying with commands to drop it and c)he can move that gun from temple to pointing at me in a split second and no matter how fast I am or how good my reactions are I would be behind the curve all = he is an immediate threat to me and others around me
    I experienced this first hand doing sims training with swat....I lost. It was a scenario very similar to this but not a banquet...in a house...and I got shot at before I returned fire on this 'psycho' in the scenario. I can testify to that and I won't allow that to happen to me in real life with real bullets.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links