Someone asks you for your gun.. Spin off of the banquet thread

This is a discussion on Someone asks you for your gun.. Spin off of the banquet thread within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone I know including my wife who I would trust enough to do that with carries their own gun. As the bumper sticker says "You ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Someone asks you for your gun.. Spin off of the banquet thread

Cool

Anyone I know including my wife who I would trust enough to do that with carries their own gun. As the bumper sticker says "You can have my gun when you can pry it from my cold dead hands".
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

Everyone should carry at least two guns for this very reason!

I don't really shoot with anyone very regularly, and those friends that do see most often don't own guns. They would absolutely NOT get my gun. Now, if a friend of mine with combat experience asked the same, I would likely give it up, however I would do so reluctantly. I am adverse to not being armed under fire.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

I get the feeling that many do not have anyone that they trust without verification or question, to the extent of handing over their only weapon.

I know this is muddling up the scenario, but I would think a couple would have discussed/covered this already.

In some cases I've considered of similar situations, I have thought it likely that someone, probably a man, would ask me to hand over my gun because 'he was more qualified, a better shot, etc.' It could be someone I know or a stranger.

And unless they showed me an LE badge, they're not getting it. My luck, it would be some hunter used to deer rifles.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    If not my spouse and I know they are as well/better trained than me you bet I'd loan the gun. If I carried a BUG it would be that one but I'd even give up my pet. Why? Because I'd rather they be hiring lawyers and going to court than me! I might be out a gun but guns are cheaper than lawyers. Just thought about it, I loaned him the gun, not give it to him. I'll sue him for the replacement in small claims court. Yeah that's what I'll do. Whata guy, huh?
    Except that you didn't file the FFL transfer paperwork in a timely fashion so you are still going to jail.

Lima, you have yet to attend one of our banquets. EVERYBODY is armed. By the time you asked JD for the gun there would be 657 shots fired, 8 people asking for a re-shoot, 3 complaining that they had a range equipment failure, and 2 bitching about penalties that they earned during "the course of fire". Of course, 4 would be picking up brass, nobody would be pasting without a tape gun, the scorekeeper's pen will have just died, and Schemmel would be asking for the 8th time "Now, let me get this straight...the guy with the AK47 is the shoot target, and the targets painted like the wait staff are the non-threats? And how many shots do I fire at each threat target? No, if I step over this line, it's a penalty--what if I step over it and step back before I fire? How about if I step over it and fire, but miss, step back, and fire again? Now, is the reload on this one with retention, or normal?"

LOL
    Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

HK Dan,

That's pretty funny! I can completely picture that as it would be very similar here..

As for the topic, I doubt anyone is getting my gun. There's a big difference between range accuracy and having the resolve to fight and end a threat. There's little time for thought and planning when someone is actively trying to kill you. Seeing as these things happen fast, just like my bs from Tuesday night's attempted break-in, it pretty much all happens on it's own and the training really does kick in fast. Violence of action, close the gap and shoot them to the ground maybe? I've not been in this particular situation, so I have NO CLUE what I'd do! But I do know, even with all the shooters I know, I can't see handing one of them my gun, especially my wife!

Now, if he entered with a rifle and turned our cover into concealment, it may require a completely different response. Either way, at least here in Texas, I have a good feeling I wouldn't be the only one willing to fight.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    The Golden Rule applies here: Turn the situation around - your partner has a gun, you don't, and you peek around the table or whatnot and see a perfect headshot at close range. You have maybe 5 seconds and the opportunity will be gone. No time to switch places. Either you get handed the gun and take the shot, or this chance is gone. You'd want to be handed the gun.

So if it's your spouse and you know they're a competent shot, then you cooperate on this just like you team up on everything else.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I'll agree with you Shockwave... but really, the difference in "angle of attack" behind a 6' round table, would probably be inconsequential... My spouse would not be armed... and would not want the shot, anyway...

However, if my companion for the evening were a trusted shooter, with experience under fire, I would be more likely to give them the gun, unless my shot were just as good.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    Lima, you have yet to attend one of our banquets. EVERYBODY is armed. By the time you asked JD for the gun there would be 657 shots fired, 8 people asking for a re-shoot, 3 complaining that they had a range equipment failure, and 2 bitching about penalties that they earned during "the course of fire". Of course, 4 would be picking up brass, nobody would be pasting without a tape gun, the scorekeeper's pen will have just died, and Schemmel would be asking for the 8th time "Now, let me get this straight...the guy with the AK47 is the shoot target, and the targets painted like the wait staff are the non-threats? And how many shots do I fire at each threat target? No, if I step over this line, it's a penalty--what if I step over it and step back before I fire? How about if I step over it and fire, but miss, step back, and fire again? Now, is the reload on this one with retention, or normal?"

LOL
    Dan
    Hilarious!

Lima, your OP had me LOL.

Like I've said before, my wife is a better shot; and I know for a fact she has what it takes to stop a threat! So, I really wouldn't have any problem giving her my firearm while I tried to draw the bg's attention away; (giving her more time for a clear shot).

It really depends on the circumstances though.

"Did we see it coming?"

"Do we have enough time to plan a response?"

"Must I react "instantly" to prevent further tragedy?"

My advice:
    Be sure you and your spouse both carry; or have a BUG.

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post

LOL
    Dan
    LOL Dan!
    Since we are going for classic laughs here, I'll change the scenario to two shooters. I can't remember the movie, but the two good guys each shoot a bad guy, the first guy turns to his partner and says "Mine hit the floor first" and the second guy replies, "Yeah, well mine was taller!"

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    It's possible that I would hand off my gun in the right situation; but I don't think I would recognize such a situation until I was IN it.

For me, the two factors would be
    1. The urgency of the situation
    2. My trust in the other person's skill AND judgment

If trouble erupts and the person next to me is my wife, no: she has MS and needs both hands to drink a cup of water. I can't imagine the mayhem if she tried to fire a gun in a high-stress situation. Now, if the person next to me was Doug (a fellow former paratrooper and current LE whom I've known for years) then yes, of course.

Except that Doug likes beer off-duty... hmmm, may need to rethink that...
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    LOL Dan!
    Since we are going for classic laughs here, I'll change the scenario to two shooters. I can't remember the movie, but the two good guys each shoot a bad guy, the first guy turns to his partner and says "Mine hit the floor first" and the second guy replies, "Yeah, well mine was taller!"
    "The War Wagon"

w/ The "Duke" and "Douglas"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    ... So, I really wouldn't have any problem giving her my firearm while I tried to draw the bg's attention away; (giving her more time for a clear shot)...
    Kind of like the Lethal Weapon (4?) scene where Mel Gibson gets Danny Glover to dance around in his BVDs to distract the guy with the flamethrower?

If you're both trained and you trust your spouse, lend the weapon! And don't question: if she's going to take the nearly unheard-of step of asking for it/demanding it she REALLY NEEDS IT RIGHT THE HECK NOW.

I usually am quite deferential to my dear wife... but if I give her a for-reals order (like, "Leave. Now.") she knows it is time to play along. I may hear about it later, of course, but she'll do what I say. And if I hear command tones from her I'll do the same, including passing a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    He has combat experience and I trust him but when it comes to accuracy with handguns I have him beat (only ever so slightly, mind you).

So ... Do you hand it over?
    As you suggest, it depends on the specifics. I know my accuracy, physiology, capabilities. If I knew in the given situation the other was my right-hand person and wouldn't be running off with my weapon, and that that person was more likely to prevail in the given situation, very likely I would hand it over. (ie, There is no "i" in "TEAM.") Otherwise, not likely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links