Someone asks you for your gun.. Spin off of the banquet thread

This is a discussion on Someone asks you for your gun.. Spin off of the banquet thread within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While posting my response to the " shooting at a banquet " thread I actually started laughing because if I were armed and my husband, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Someone asks you for your gun.. Spin off of the banquet thread

Senior Moderator

Someone asks you for your gun.. Spin off of the banquet thread

While posting my response to the "shooting at a banquet" thread I actually started laughing because if I were armed and my husband, JD, were not I could clearly see him asking for my gun.

Which brought me to question whether or not I would actually give it to him.

He has combat experience and I trust him but when it comes to accuracy with handguns I have him beat (only ever so slightly, mind you).

I couldn't help thinking about the scene from Mr and Mrs Smith when they are in the basement and the bad guys are coming and Mr Smith hands the Mrs a back up gun and she says, "Why do I get the girl gun?" and so they switch.

I could quite literally see JD and I hunkered under a table while shots are ringing out and him saying, "Give me your gun."

"No."

"I have a better shot."

"I have a better aim."

"I have experience."

"I have the gun."

I know that sounds kind of comical in what is supposed to be a serious scenario but I'm sure that stranger things have happened.

So, let's say you are at an event with a trusted shooting partner (it may or may not be a spouse)... you are carrying and he (or she) is not. You have trained with this person. You know his (or her) skills. The shots are ringing out. You have relatively good cover or at least concealment and your area doesn't seem to be taking fire at the moment. You are looking for that perfect opportunity to act when your partner says, "I have a shot. Give me the gun."

Do you hand it over?

Why or why not?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    No.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Well, the Bible says you are supposed to obey your husband.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    there is no i in team...if they have a shot and you can trust their judgement it may be your only chance at survival...but if they are right next to you i dont get where the i have a shot and you dont comes from...if we're talking about tossing the gun to someone it isnt going to happen...the totality of the situation has to come into play before that decision could be made....

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Well, the Bible says you are supposed to obey your husband.
    Hm! Looks like I made someone mad! I'm really sorry - I was just trying to be funny.

Seriously, though, if I knew that whoever is with me (requesting my gun) is a better shot AND has the "ability" to kill someone, yes, I'd give him/her my gun. However, I am somewhat confident of my aim and very confident of my ability to pull the trigger.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    there is no i in team...if they have a shot and you can trust their judgement it may be your only chance at survival...but if they are right next to you i dont get where the i have a shot and you dont comes from...if we're talking about tossing the gun to someone it isnt going to happen...the totality of the situation has to come into play before that decision could be made....
    The difference of even a few feet can be the difference between a clear shot and no shot for a variety of reasons.. Your partner could have a difference angle or an unobstructed view whereas you might have someone or something in the way that keeps you from seeing clearly or having a safe shot. You might be able to switch spots but that could mean more time and effort than just handing over a gun.

I could see the potential of that.

Senior Moderator
    Hm! Looks like I made someone mad! I'm really sorry - I was just trying to be funny.
    Who did you make mad? There wasn't any response to your post. ??

Senior Moderator
    If I had trained with them and trusted them and their abilities, then yes I would give up the gun if they had a shot
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Who did you make mad? There wasn't any response to your post. ??
    I thought I made you bad because you didn't respond. I may have reacted too soon.

Senior Moderator
    I thought I made you bad because you didn't respond. I may have reacted too soon.
    Nope.. not mad.

I just had nothing to say to that.. lol.. the Bible doesn't cover spousal relationships in combat situations very thoroughly... lol.

No. If a BUG were factored into the scenerio, yes. As the scenerio stands, no.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Nope.. not mad.

I just had nothing to say to that.. lol.. the Bible doesn't cover spousal relationships in combat situations very thoroughly... lol.
    LOL! True! Seriously, I doubt my wife has what it takes to shoot someone. She's too sweet and caring. My 13 year old daughter, however, is tough. She'll pull the trigger in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by limatunes; September 29th, 2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: language

Senior Moderator
    My initial instincts say that I would be loath to give up my gun and I think the first thought that would cross through my mind is, "You should have brought your own."

Magazines and other tools? Sure.. My gun?.. that's something pretty big to ask me to hand over without any assurance than I'm getting it back.

If it were JD, however, I think I would. I trust him, his skills, his experience and his devotion to protecting me. He would only ask for it if he was sure he could do something to save us both.

Some of the other people that I have shot with? HECK NO! I'd tell them to move over and give me their angle and see for myself.

Well I shoot left and most people shoot righty. So depends if the shot is better for a righty or a lefty. Also angles can make a radical difference. So depends on situation and I would have to trust the person and there abuilites.

If I knew their level of ability, and trusted their judgement, maybe.

When my wife was first getting used to handling guns she liked the Glock 19, so I carried that and a Glock 26. My thinking was, "I have something I can arm her with that she can shoot." Now that she is more used to firearms, and a better shot than I, I tell her, "You're a big gal now. Carry your own dang gun, or learn to operate mine." In this situation I may be inclined to give her my High Power and resort to my BUG for the period of time it takes for her to take the shot. Almost anyone else would have to make do with my BUG, if I even trusted them with a gun. Heck, even if I didn't trust them, I'd give them the BUG and use them as cannon fodder.

Biker

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links