Response time?

This is a discussion on Response time? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Based on my "active shooter" scenario elsewhere, How long would it take for a banquet room full of regular folks to realize something bad/dangerous was ...

View Poll Results: How long?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • .5 seconds or less

0 0%
  • .5-1.5 seconds

4 8.51%
  • 1.5 -2 seconds

7 14.89%
  • longer

36 76.60%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Response time?

Question Response time?

Based on my "active shooter" scenario elsewhere, How long would it take for a banquet room full of regular folks to realize something bad/dangerous was happening (from the DRAW of the weapon) and go into PANIC mode; running for exits, trampling one another etc.?

Scenario summary: normal looking shooter walks into banquet, walks to dais, draws and fires weapon at some on dais, reloads, turns and fires at audience members.

1. .5 seconds or less
    2. .5 - 1.5 seconds
    3. 1.5 -2 seconds
    4. Longer
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

I can't answer how long others, or a room of people, would take to realize there was a threat or a "problem"...as most sheeple are absolutely clueless and non observant.

I would hope that I would see the weapon being drawn. But (based of the scenerio of a non threatening looking person) that would most like take my just happening to glance over at the perfect moment. Odds are against that.

I can say, with certainty based on experience, that at the sound of the first shot I would be moving into action....whatever action that may be. Most sheeple would be looking around asking "What was that?", "What's happening?" and so on and so forth. The sheeple closet, that saw what happened, would begin to run and stampede...mostly like falling over themselves and each other in mass hysteria. Still, those furthest away would be split into two groups. Those that run at the sight of someone else running and those that continued to crane their necks to get a better view while STILL asking "What's going on?, What happened?".

Just my thoughts.

I voted longer.

I agree. It is not going to be a time, but a duration of time from the first to react to the last.

As for other people, I voted 1.5-2. For me however, I perk up quickly at any loud noise really. Not necessarily out of worry, I'm just a curious fellow and like to know what the noise was, whether it was a bang or other noise.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Moderator
    Once the frist few starts to run then the herd will follow, but I think that it will only be after 4-5 shots before the majority of the people in the room to start to act.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I guess I'm wondering... is there an element of "Shock" that freezes folks for a few seconds...

"This is not happening!" "Wait, maybe it is!" "He's turning towards us!" "Oh NO!"

Is it clinical shock? Are they able to move, stampeding over one another? Or are they "stuck" momentarily?

Even "us" with our "superior SA" compared to the common man, sheep, whathaveyou... Unless we are in orange all the time, might take a bit to realize what exactly, was happening... and respond. Especially if our SA level went down after the shooter's talk with another audience member...

The banquet scenario suggests that if the people didn't know each other, they were at least sharing a commonality, whether it were a fundraiser for charity, a benefit for a community project, whatever.... The people in the gathering are, at least somewhat, like-minded to yourself. It's not even a political thing, so there's no reason to believe that it was a remotely dangerous situation... You are carrying because you always do... Your SA has little reason to be elevated... These are like minded people in a jovial atmosphere.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Once the fist few starts to run then the herd will follow, but I think that it will only be after 4-5 shots before the majority of the people in the room to start to act.
    or at least 2 shots... or maybe once he turns to the attendees... that would be three shots...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

With the diversity of experience and mindset present in a large group, I don't think that catgorization of people or responses is that easy. There will be a fairly broad spectrum of responses and time factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    With the diversity of experience and mindset present in a large group, I don't think that catgorization of people or responses is that easy. There will be a fairly broad spectrum of responses and time factors.
    probably correct... probably unquantifiable. I think once the first movers move, others will follow... those closest will see more (obviously)... among them will be the first movers.

Assuming, I (as a responder) am really "on" but am in the middle of the crowd, it will take some time before the stampede affects my ability to react.
    And the more time we have to respond, the more decisive we can be.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i think many are underestimating the shock involved with a gunshot in an enclosed room...we're not talking about a balloon popping...which in itself usually evokes an immediate response and look...we're talking about a very loud and not often heard noise that even a shooter would react to as they seldom hear it without ear protection....the intitial sharp unfamiliar report would evoke an immediate curiosity in many and fear in others...reaction times would vary as it takes some more time to gather information than others but the reaction i am sure would be more immediate than many who feel their familiarity as opposed to "sheep" familiarity would give them an advantage would think....

dont give yourself more credit than you deserve because you shoot guns....

Oakchas,
    I believe that you are correct, at least to an extent. In addition, there are ways to move through a crowd moving counter to your direction of travel.

some people will realize 0.5 seconds...before anything happens...some people will think the first shot is a firecracker or backfire.... so yea 0.5 to 5 seconds i'd say
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    .... there are ways to move through a crowd moving counter to your direction of travel.
    Agreed.

There are those that will not know what the noise was and not react immediately. There are those that will panic from any unkbown noise of that magnitude. Then there are those of us that have been in combat and/or live shoot encounters and KNOW the sound of a gunshot.. inside, outside, anywhere (not refering to the gun range)..and react accordingly. The "shock factor" doesn't apply to some. Thus, wouldn't come into play.

Ya gotta love the 101st Fighting Keyboard Commandos - reacting in under 1 second!

Our modern-day warrior class, hyped up in Condition Orange at all times, reflexes strung out like piano wire, needing only the most minute provocation to draw and spring into action!

Actually, there'd be a lot of variables involved in reaction time. If you noticed the shooter enter the room and something looked hinky about him, and you were watching him and saw him draw and saw the blood-spray following the first shot you'd probably be moving pretty fast. If your back was turned and you only heard the shot, it'd take a few seconds to figure out what was going on.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links