Martial Arts Teacher Stabbed To Death During Argument Over Dogs - Page 4

Martial Arts Teacher Stabbed To Death During Argument Over Dogs

This is a discussion on Martial Arts Teacher Stabbed To Death During Argument Over Dogs within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why would anybody bring a dog to a bar where they intend to listen to a band play & subject the dog to loud volumes. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Martial Arts Teacher Stabbed To Death During Argument Over Dogs

Why would anybody bring a dog to a bar where they intend to listen to a band play & subject the dog to loud volumes.

Yes, he tied the dog outside, but who in their right mind would do this.......I would be too worried that somebody would come along
    & steal my best friend......unbelievable!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I have never yet seen anyone say "the gun is the only answer" an all conflicts, in spite of many claiming that people say such things. Examples??
    You wouldn't have to search too hard. Pretty much any scenario that somebody posits, any typical news story, any anecdote in which a punch or a shove would probably be sufficient, you have lots of people saying stuff like, "I'm not going to mess around, I'm drawing and shooting and ending the threat right there."

So perhaps I should qualify my remark as meaning that some would draw earlier than others, more as the first resort than the last. No, not necessarily to any conflict, but to a number that probably wouldn't warrant it. And of course, that's perfectly fine. Anybody wants to use a firearm, it's up to them to decide if it's likely to be judged worthy or not.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

That does not seem unusual to me. I would postulate that, barring those with physical ailments or infirmities, the less experience and training one has in physical confrontation, the more likely that they would sooner revert to the gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    That does not seem unusual to me. I would postulate that, barring those with physical ailments or infirmities, the less experience and training one has in physical confrontation, the more likely that they would sooner revert to the gun.
    Perhaps. Somewhere years ago, I read that BGs tend to be more afraid of being shot by CHL holders than they are of being shot by LEO. The difference is the experience and training (and backup) which enable LEOs to be less hasty.

That has been documented. Also, cops may have policy issues to deal with in addition to legalities.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Classic irony.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Cool

You learn alot in prison after you commit your first homicide. Violence is eveywhere .The primary weapon there is a stabbing or cutting instrument. The assailant used just that type of weapon on the victim who it appears was taken completely by surprise. The assailant continued to stab multiple times to inflict numerous wounds. The attack was very violent. He who uses the most violence usually wins. You can have all kinds of skills but if you never get the chance to use them it dosen't matter.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The perp only served nine years for murder? In my book he would have been put to death. We put down dogs that kill people; murderers think and plan and know what they are doing, so let's give human beings who willingly murder the benefit of a doubt and put them down.

Also, as someone with lots of MA in my background, my first thought was...what was the instructor doing in that place on his night off to begin with? It sounded like a real dive. The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the situation. If you gotta drink (and I gave it up because it interfered with my work-out ethic), then do it in a classier place.

And, yep, just because you're an MA does not make you invincible. Lots of factors make up the mix of a confrontation.
    Last edited by Pinger; October 9th, 2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: addendum
    The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the situation. The second rule is Train and Prepare.

Well, I've been into martial arts for more than 25 years, and one of the main things I've learned is...stay away from bars. Especially at 2 in the morning. Granted it was his occupation, but still. Bars are where most shootings/stabbings occur.

I teach classes on martial arts here in the Detroit area - and teach weapons to advanced students (including firearms, generally if they're adults). The thing is, there is no ONE answer. The gun is not always the answer, just as the side-kick, the joint lock, or the take-down is always the answer. Avoidance, de-escalation, a weapon, your hands, your feet, etc - all just points on the violence continuum. Being able to handle just one small spectrum of that scale isn't good - it's better to be able to handle as much of the spectrum as possible, as well as possible, and then minimize your risks so you never have to use any of it....
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

i guess this isn't really much of an advertisement for his martial arts school.

it's better to be able to handle as much of the spectrum as possible, as well as possible, and then minimize your risks so you never have to use any of it....
    My philosophy in a nutshell.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

That would seem the logical approach, within the time, financial and other constraints of ones life.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Why would anybody bring a dog to a bar where they intend to listen to a band play & subject the dog to loud volumes.

Yes, he tied the dog outside, but who in their right mind would do this.......I would be too worried that somebody would come along
    & steal my best friend......unbelievable!

Indeed.

Welcome to NYC
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links