ATM - Page 2

ATM

This is a discussion on ATM within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why do folks use ATM's anyway. Banks/Credit Unions are open sufficient hours to do your business during the daytime in the lobby, and they don't ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ATM

Why do folks use ATM's anyway. Banks/Credit Unions are open sufficient hours to do your business during the daytime in the lobby, and they don't charge fees for that. Heck where I live you can't go 3 blocks without passing some type of fiancial institution, it isn't like they are hard to find or out of the way for anyone that lives in a place where there are more that 1k folks.

If we as CHL holders are supposed to be aware of our surroundings and be a bit on top of the rest of the population, wouldn't planning ahead to make sure you have sufficient cash in you wallet, at home in the safe, or whereever be part of that?

If you put yourself in places where crimes happen more often expect to have higher risk of being a victim of a crime. It is pretty simple math in my opinion.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Why do folks use ATM's anyway. Banks/Credit Unions are open sufficient hours to do your business during the daytime in the lobby, and they don't charge fees for that. Heck where I live you can't go 3 blocks without passing some type of fiancial institution, it isn't like they are hard to find or out of the way for anyone that lives in a place where there are more that 1k folks.

If we as CHL holders are supposed to be aware of our surroundings and be a bit on top of the rest of the population, wouldn't planning ahead to make sure you have sufficient cash in you wallet, at home in the safe, or whereever be part of that?

If you put yourself in places where crimes happen more often expect to have higher risk of being a victim of a crime. It is pretty simple math in my opinion.

Excellent advice !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member

Since North Carolina prohibits carry in any financial institution it is just more convenient to use the ATM rather than disarm and rearm just to cash a check.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm in the class off, I dont use ATM's atall' Always got a credit card & stash cash ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I always just get cash back in a store. Usually I only need $10 or so and ATMs usually only give 20 dollar increments.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    This has been happening quite often in my area. At drive up ATMs, I try to pull close enough to the ATM so that no one can get between me and the ATM and I make sure my doors are locked.
    I do the same thing: use a drive-up ATM that's stuck inside a big, tough wall; get close enough that wedging between the wall and car would be tough for an attacker; keep my doors and windows locked (as they are when I'm driving, anyway); keep the car in gear; and keep half an eye open to the surroundings, as best as can be done; and, do somewhat larger withdrawals, to reduce the frequency of use of ATM's.

The likelihood is fairly low, as with any attack situations, so it's not as though these steps are big, intrusive, time-consuming elements of the task. It's just that keeping the car in gear, locked and close to the wall when using an ATM becomes the way of doing it, a part of the normal task. It takes no additional time or effort to do so, but IMO it helps make the target (me) appear that much less appealing as a potential victim to a passing thug ... and that's the whole point of the exercise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Since North Carolina prohibits carry in any financial institution it is just more convenient to use the ATM rather than disarm and rearm just to cash a check.
    Just a note, NC does not prohibit open carry in financial institutions only concealed carry. Now if they are posted no firearms that's a different story but many do not post.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    If I need cash...it's NOT going to be at an ATM at 1 AM!!!

Go to Walmart, buy a pack of gum with the debit card and get cash back.
    Proud NRA member

Wish I had an ideal situation as you apparently do. My work hours are generally 7:30 to 5 or later, so forget about banks or credit unions being open outside of those hours (in my teeny little town of 200K). My large aerospace firm actually has a CU on campus, but guess what - it's a cashless CU, with no ATMs. They won't even accept a deposit of more than $100 in cash.

As far as keeping cash in the safe at home - I have some there, but on my current lean budget it's barely beer money. I'd love to keep $500-1000 on hand and just replace it monthly, but that's just not a financial possibility for me right now.

So, yes, I need to use an ATM - just a fact of life. but I do take precautions as previously mentioned.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Why do folks use ATM's anyway. Banks/Credit Unions are open sufficient hours to do your business during the daytime in the lobby, and they don't charge fees for that.
    Well, lets see....banks are famous for "bankers hours" which means, if I get off work at 7pm or later the bank is already closed. And if I have go to to work before the bank opens, where does that leave me?
    Hmmmm?

I'm finding more and more that the hours of operation dictate the places that I patronize.

I'm a little peeved off this weekend about shiiiistuff like that. I got my paycheck on Thursday at work, but didn't get off till later than I could cash it, so I didn't have money on Friday when my utility bill was due, and I had to work until around 5:30. I DID make it by the bank since they are open till 6:30 (IF you use the right branch), but being a city office the utility department close up shop at like 4:30, so by the time I get by there on Monday I'll owe a late fee......
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post

Drive thru might be an option.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    My bank (a large bank nationwide) has ATM machines in gas stations nationwide (a large station chain) and if I need cash, I usually use it at the gas station since it is inside. Now typically I am in bed before 9pm so no 1am money runs for me. 99% of my spending is done with my debit card (I get cash back for using it, last month I got 50 bucks back).
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    The Police must not read the FBI's reports every year. "According to the FBI a gun is the safest most effective tool for defense, better than not resisting at all, and results in fewest injuries to the DEFENDER."
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Thank you reptsup99: Why in the world anyone needs to go to an ATM, particularly at night, is beyond me. Did anyone ever hear about a credit card or cashing some money inside a bank earlier in the day? If you have to relate stories on this thread and are using ATMs, I just shake my head. Never had the need, never will have the need and any reason you give me is arguing for argument's sake.

+1 on this.

No one in my family has an ATM card and we if need cash, we go to the bank during day light hours. I have daughters at college and they do not use the ATM either. Pre-planning is the key.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links