ATM - Page 3

ATM

This is a discussion on ATM within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by farronwolf Why do folks use ATM's anyway. Banks/Credit Unions are open sufficient hours to do your business during the daytime in the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ATM

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Why do folks use ATM's anyway. Banks/Credit Unions are open sufficient hours to do your business during the daytime in the lobby, and they don't charge fees for that.
    Security, given no need to exit the car in a risky neighborhood. Not all banks charge fees for use of their own ATM's or drive-up windows.

Much depends on the neighborhood, the design of the drive-up or the ATM (whether it's against a large/flat wall or stuck in a kiosk out in the open). Plus, having low spending habits, carrying a bit of cash and having a safe for "backup" funds helps limit the need to even go to the bank, for any reason. Depends on a person's circumstances, but not everyone's being risky by occasionally using them.

If we as CHL holders are supposed to be aware of our surroundings and be a bit on top of the rest of the population, wouldn't planning ahead to make sure you have sufficient cash in you wallet, at home in the safe, or whereever be part of that?
    Of course. See above.

If you put yourself in places where crimes happen more often expect to have higher risk of being a victim of a crime. It is pretty simple math in my opinion.
    Yes, it is. Not all drive-up situations equal crime. It can be that simple, if one banks intelligently. It'll often be otherwise, if one does not. Same with anything else.

Ditto on everyone's warnings and caveats about some ATM locations and times of day being the worst possible choices for banking. I can't imagine using a cash kiosk, one in the middle of nowhere, one at 2am, or even one frequently enough to create undue wear on the keys at the machine. Agreed on all counts, there. But then, none of that is intelligent use of the tool.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 3rd, 2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    NCBULLSEYE,
    NC Statute 14-415.11(c) forbids the carrying of firearms, oc or cc, in any financial institution posted or not. Unfortunately!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    NCBULLSEYE,
    NC Statute 14-415.11(c) forbids the carrying of firearms, oc or cc, in any financial institution posted or not. Unfortunately!!!!!
    Sorry but you are incorrect.

The statute is pertaining to carrying concealed only. You need to read it completely.

14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
    (c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    N C Bullseye,
    I stand corrected. Since I don't remember ever going into a bank that wasn't posted I thought it was part of the statute.

I personally cannot believe that anyone would say to pre draw your weapon before you get to the ATM. Wow!
    Is there not a SAFER ATM location? Unless I am in a movie and you are holding my family hostage I cannot believe I would ever go someplace where I felt I needed to pre draw my weapon. Forget whether or not you thought ahead to keep some cash available...
    Did you take it from your IWB and place it into your car holster? That would be different.

Sled

First, the question is academic to me as I don't even have an atm card and don't use atms.

The incident in reference in the op is a 1:00am trip to an atm, therefor what my answer is related to. Even if I had one it would get such infrequent use that the bank machine would probably be the only one I was familiar with. Assuming that for some emergent reason I had to go to an atm at 1:00am. Yes I would predraw under those conditions. The weapon would be in my hand resting on my left thigh. It would seem to make little sense to remove a weapon from a belt holster to put it in a car holster. At one time in my life I frequently cleared my house when I returned after it had been left unoccupied for a few hours and I predrew on each and every one of those occasions.
    Last edited by Guantes; October 4th, 2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    If I need cash...it's NOT going to be at an ATM at 1 AM!!!

Go to Walmart, buy a pack of gum with the debit card and get cash back.
    Around here, Walmart at 1 AM isn't any safer.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    First, the question is academic to me as I don't even have an atm card and don't use atms.

The incident in reference in the op is a 1:00am trip to an atm, therefor what my answer is related to. Even if I had one it would get such infrequent use that the bank machine would probably be the only one I was familiar with. Assuming that for some emergent reason I had to go to an atm at 1:00am. Yes I would predraw under those conditions. The weapon would be in my hand resting on my left thigh. It would seem to make little sense to remove a weapon from a belt holster to put it in a car holster. At one time in my life I frequently cleared my house when I returned after it had been left unoccupied for a few hours and I predrew on each and every one of those occasions.
    What emergent reason is good enough to go someplace where it is SO dangerous that you need to pre draw?
    As for the vehicle holster, it can hold your pistol while you keep both hands available to control the weapon you are driving and it keeps the pistol where you can reach it after an emergency stop.

Sled

I would never go to an ATM like that one in the evening...but I do get to use one of the most secure ATMs in the world on a daily basis...inside the Pentagon...

So, I usually don't worry about BGs coming up on me....
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Sled,
    You obviously place much greater significance on a precautionary pre draw than I do.
    You can't reach your pistol in your belt holster after and emergency stop?

The individual had an Ohio CHL from Franklin County, so I am assuming he was in the Columbus area and that the TV station was a Columbus one. While I consider the police "advice" to be rediculous, it isn't likely the entire Columbus police force "agrees" with that advice--it is simplly the BS Politically Correct answer put forth by the administration for legal/insurance purposes.

As to ATM use, I use one all the time, but am aware of my surroundings, don't do it at 0100 hours, and since I drive an F150 4x4 no one can squeeze between my truck and the ATM at the bank anyway. I also occasionally use one that is in a shopping center where most businesses have closed. There are no cars parked within 50-100 yards of the ATM kiosk, I park beside it and get out to use it, and could easily get back in my truck and leave or draw my weapon before anyone could approach me.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I do use ATMs with some frequency. I am aware of my surroundings and the potential for danger. I have used them at 2:30 am on the way home from work.... I scan the area first. Some are drive up, some are in bank outer lobbies, some are in stores.

I don't completely avoid potentially dangerous places/situations, as I refuse to build my life around what is completely safe... otherwise I might never leave the house. Some of the best food is in the worst parts of town... some of the best entertainment, as well (and I'm not talking about people watching, but that can qualify as entertainment too).
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Don't rely on daylight or other people being around to protect you. A friend of my family was killed in late January 2009 at 8:40 in the morning at a drive-up ATM. There were other cars/people around who witnessed the entire thing, since the bank was just about to open. If you want more details, google Lynne Thompson and Forest Acres, SC.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    No drive through ATMs for me. I also do not go to outdoor ATMs no matter what time of day or night. If I use the ATM, it be inside a mall, department store, or a convenient store.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    When I visit countries with only outdoor ATMs, me and my buddies work out a system. While one of us uses the ATM, the other or at least 2 of us watch his/her back. And if it was me using the ATM, they watch my back.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links