ATM

This is a discussion on ATM within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a go where I want, do what I want, when I want kind of person, I'm not going to cower in fear at ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ATM

I am a go where I want, do what I want, when I want kind of person, I'm not going to cower in fear at the thought of the boogie-man.

When using a drive up ATM at night I make a lap around the area, any area I can't illuminate with my headlights gets the Surefire. I do drive a F350 dually, so the fender flair is positioned to block approach from the rear and I like to keep the outside mirrors extended which is an impediment from the front and I keep my head on a swivel. I have the 40/20/40 split bench seat so my 45 is in a holster between my seat and the center section clipped to the center seatbelt so it can't go flying and is real easy to get to.

<---Plus my license plate is probably a bit of a deterrent as well (OK I lie, I don't carry a 9mm anymore)

2. Remove Ads

I refuse to cower because of potential bad guys. I use ATMs sometimes at night but certainly stay aware of what is going on around me. In this case, I would have drawn my weapon when he approached. He probably would have gotten shot if he did not immediately run away.

Quote Originally Posted by yq4n View Post
    I refuse to cower because of potential bad guys. I use ATMs sometimes at night but certainly stay aware of what is going on around me. In this case, I would have drawn my weapon when he approached. He probably would have gotten shot if he did not immediately run away.
    And in North Carolina you would be breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Planning ahead could eliminate the use of ATM's.IMHO...and I certainly wouldn't be going to one at 1 A.M.
    ^^^ Bingo!!! ^^^ ATMs are like Chinese Buffets for bad guys. Why in the heck to people still use them so much and if you needed to, why at 1:00 am??????? You're just asking for trouble. Go during the day, use the drive-up window, go inside, or at least use the ATM if you have to in the DAYTIME. I typically go at lunch and I go inside. I feel much better able to react to something on my feet.

Remember the stupid rule: Don't hang out with stupid people, do go to stupid places, and don't do stupid things. Going to an ATM at night is both a stupid place and a stupid thing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Planning ahead could eliminate the use of ATM's.IMHO...and I certainly wouldn't be going to one at 1 A.M.
    The Clip said he was a security guard. He may work an odd shift preventing him from using the ATM during daylight hours.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

To those who would NEVER use an ATM at night or out in a parking lot...

I'm aware of the stupid rule... but can you tell me one place, at one time, that is safe?

I would never go to a bank during the day, that's when they are robbed.
    I would never go to a diner in the afternoon, that's when crazed killers go on shooting sprees.
    I would never go onto a university campus when there are classes in session.
    I would never go to a bar, brawls break out.
    I would never go to a football game, fans get trampled to death.
    I would never go to a discount department store during the day, that's when all the customers get held hostage.
    I can't stay home, where else would a home invasion occur?
    I cant go to work, what if a disguntled employee decides to go on a shooting spree?
    I would never go to New York.. that's where terrorists target.

There are risks in everything we do. Including leaving our house in the morning. Yes, there are calculated risks that are much lower on the scale than say going to a "Juke Joint" in the bad part of town and staying til the band quits. But the point is this... To what level must the risk be reduced before you will partake in an activity?

I think Janq and others have said it better (than the "stupid rule")...

Any time, any place, anybody.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have never used an ATM and never plan to (Don't even know if I have a card!). When I read about someone being robbed at an ATM late at night, I think, "Tough crap" and wonder why that person didn't think far enough ahead to take care of business ahead of time. Tough love? You betcha. When you place yourself in a risky, well-known situation that creates victims, you ask for the outcome. Look around you the next time you pull up to a drive-thru ATM location. Notice all the bushes and hiding places that are around. Then go inside and cash a check during business hours.

And bank robbers rob banks--rarely (if ever) the customers inside.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    I always just get cash back in a store.
    .......and the added benefit of no service charge. If I am out of town, I worry about the ATM machine keeping my card. (It happened once on a holiday, bank closed) So, now I go to a grocery or Wal Mart, buy what I need, and add $100 to the bill, and pay with the ATM card. I never have to put my card into a machine, and I stay in a safe place.

Old Vet, not everybody works 9-5... for some, bankers hours are sleep time. They do "work around" it... but it can be inconvenient at times. You cannot go anywhere that is SAFE... criminals pull guns (their own or a cops) in cop shops... The surrounding area (of a police station) is not safe either, just ask the LEO gun instructor that was recently killed with his own gun...

Wal Mart is a safe place? Is the parking lot safe?

any time, any place, anybody.

I will not center my life on only going to places that are safe, there is no such thing. And I have the right to be almost anywhere in these United States, I also have the right (after paying the fees and taking the courses) to protect myself if I should go into any area that is less than safe.

I am not stupid about it... I don't go looking for trouble. But, as an example, the best comedians in the world (arguably) can be seen, for free, after 2 am at the end of a dark alley in Chicago (or at least it used to be)... It's called Second City, and most of the biggies in comedy got their start there. Yes, I know I can't carry in Chicago... But back then I could (if I'd been a little older).

The odds of being the victim of a violent crime in the US is about 1 in 400... they are about the same as the likelyhood of having a house fire. I'm sure those odds change for the worse in certain places. Regardless, after a cost/benefit analysis, I will go anywhere I can legally if the benefits to me outweigh the likelyhood of risk.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Old Vet, not everybody works 9-5... for some, bankers hours are sleep time. They do "work around" it... but it can be inconvenient at times. You cannot go anywhere that is SAFE... criminals pull guns (their own or a cops) in cop shops... The surrounding area (of a police station) is not safe either, just ask the LEO gun instructor that was recently killed with his own gun...

I will not center my life on only going to places that are safe, there is no such thing. And I have the right to be almost anywhere in these United States, I also have the right (after paying the fees and taking the courses) to protect myself if I should go into any area that is less than safe.

I am not stupid about it... I don't go looking for trouble. But, as an example, the best comedians in the world (arguably) can be seen, for free, after 2 am at the end of a dark alley in Chicago (or at least it used to be)... It's called Second City, and most of the biggies in comedy got their start there. Yes, I know I can't carry in Chicago... But back then I could (if I'd been a little older).

The odds of being the victim of a violent crime in the US is about 1 in 400... they are about the same as the likelyhood of having a house fire. I'm sure those odds change for the worse in certain places. Regardless, after a cost/benefit analysis, I will go anywhere I can legally if the benefits to me outweigh the likelyhood of risk.
    Well said...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

So your point is merely that you have a gun and can go where and when you wish? My point is that high-risk places can and should be avoided whenever possible. Cash is available at many places other than ATMs on a 24 hour basis. I've worked every hour of the day, and not once did I find I couldn't get monet somewhere other than an ATM hidden on the back side of a bank, behind the pretty shrubbery, in the dark. Foresight always works better than hindsight.

Risk is truely everywhere, but much higher in some places compared to others. I avoid ATMs just as I avoid convenience stores, gang-ridden neighborhoods, and anywhere else I persieve in advance that I may be putting myself in un-necessary risk. No chest-thumping bravado here. Avoidense is the best form of SD, even though I carry a firearm.

And that, my friend, is how I intend to die in my sleep.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It seems obvious from the posts here that different people have different levels of risk that they are willing to endure to achieve certain goals. The level of how desirable something is in relation to its concomitant risk is a decision for each individual. What seems a high risk to one, may seem a low risk to another and in fact that may or may not be the case.

Thank you G, for the diplomatic way of putting it.

So your point is merely that you have a gun and can go where and when you wish?
    old vet, I certainly get your points, except as stated above...

The converse is true, actually: I can go anywhere I wish within the law. I make a conscious decision to go to a particular destination that it is worth my while to do so, against odds whatever they may be. I happen to have a permit to carry, and choose to exercise the rights afforded by it... It changes the odds a bit more in my favor, but is not the sole determinant of a go/no go decision.

The odds of my dying on the way in a car accident are about 1 in 50 (as of 2008). The odds of my being the victim of violent crime are 1 in 400 as I said before. It's far more dangerous for me to get there than it is to be there. And in all honesty, both of the listed odds are not specific to area.

There are many things I can do to reduce both odds against me, and I do them. Maybe I can be so careful in my driving habits that I can increase my odds 100% so that I am only likely to die in a car accident 1 of 100 times. If I am careless in my choice of destination, even if I increase the odds against me 300% by my stupidity, I am still only as likely to be the victim of violent crime as I am to die in an accident on the way there.

I can have that deadly accident going to the grocery store, the bank during regular hours, or to a concert at night at the Apollo.

I too hope to die in my bed. The likelyhood of that is about 1 in 3, I can only increase those odds by spending more time in bed... something I choose not to do.

I really do understand where you are coming from. Any reasonable man will try to avoid conflict, especially if armed. That, to me, does not mean I will avoid doing things that some might consider dangerous or foolish... I can legally fly a plane... I absolutely refuse to jump out of a perfectly good one.
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

An example: I love good green chili burritos. When I go to LA a friend and I nearly always go and get a couple in the evening. The best are usually obtained from places in the middle of gang areas an are usually busy with a questionable crowd. Some would consider that that overly hazardous for some food. We do not consider it so, with over forty years of LE between us, most in gang areas, we consider the threat minimal. They know who we are and they know what that means.

I rarely ever use an ATM and then only in the daytime. If a situation came up that required me to go to the ATM at night, I would use one that was inside of a busy convenience store.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links