ATM

This is a discussion on ATM within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes An example: I love good green chili burritos. When I go to LA a friend and I nearly always go and ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: ATM

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    An example: I love good green chili burritos. When I go to LA a friend and I nearly always go and get a couple in the evening. The best are usually obtained from places in the middle of gang areas an are usually busy with a questionable crowd. Some would consider that that overly hazardous for some food. We do not consider it so, with over forty years of LE between us, most in gang areas, we consider the threat minimal. They know who we are and they know what that means.
    And that's fine--for you. I understand your background (and that of others here on the site). I wouldn't expect a couple of old Navy SEALs to be too hesitant to enter a lot of places either, but most of us don't fall into that catagory. We're just plain old 9-to-fivers trying to hang on to what we've got. (Sounds kinda like an old song line, doesn't it?) Do you think the burrito bunch would give me the same "consideration"? I doubt it, and for that reason I tend to avoid places where I know going can be troublesome.

I also understand "any time, any place" and feel that if I can avoid the "most likely" of them, I'm a little safer than if I don't.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Sled,
    You obviously place much greater significance on a precautionary pre draw than I do.
    You can't reach your pistol in your belt holster after and emergency stop?
    Yeah, as a non LEO I am taught to avoid high risk areas. I have used ATM's at night but never in an area where I thought the risk was so high that I would need to pre draw. Was/is there risk involved everywhere? Sure there is but some places are worse than others. I saw in another post that you go to very high risk areas for some good street food with the reasoning that "They know who we are and they know what that means" Do you pre draw then too? If not how come you do at the ATM? Cant those BG's tell who you are and what that means? OR is the ATM in an even worse location than the "green chili burritos"??

As for being able to reach my pistol after an emergency stop, yes I can. Could you if you had it pre drawn and on your leg or seat next to you? Wouldn't it slide to the floor in the emergency stop?
    Thank you for what you do as a LEO, but I hate to see anyone be someplace so dangerous they need to pre draw unless they/you are on the job and actively engaged...

Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Sledzep01 View Post
    Yeah, as a non LEO I am taught to avoid high risk areas. I have used ATM's at night but never in an area where I thought the risk was so high that I would need to pre draw. Was/is there risk involved everywhere? Sure there is but some places are worse than others. I saw in another post that you go to very high risk areas for some good street food with the reasoning that "They know who we are and they know what that means" Do you pre draw then too? If not how come you do at the ATM? Cant those BG's tell who you are and what that means? OR is the ATM in an even worse location than the "green chili burritos"??

As for being able to reach my pistol after an emergency stop, yes I can. Could you if you had it pre drawn and on your leg or seat next to you? Wouldn't it slide to the floor in the emergency stop?
    Thank you for what you do as a LEO, but I hate to see anyone be someplace so dangerous they need to pre draw unless they/you are on the job and actively engaged...

Sled
    Fair questions.
    A pre draw at an unoccupied atm does not cause near the distrubance that it would cause at a burrito stand.
    It is considerably less likely that a robber who pops around a corner to confront someone seated in a vehicle would determine in an instant or two that that person was likely LE, than a number of people observing him/them over a period of minutes at a burrito stand.
    The acquisition of my pistol would be a non issue as though resting on my leg, it would remain in my hand.
    Pre draw is a precautionary action based on a number of factors, often where the actual danger is indeterminate.
    Your courtesy is appreciated, but no need to thank me as I am retired.

Distinguished Member
    It's been at least 10 years since I've used an ATM and have no plans to change that. They bug me like a parking garage.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    So if you are somewhere that there might be a threat you draw your firearm before anything happens?

That's the way I try to work it, and why I like my hand in my pocket on a gun most times.

This is kind of like only putting on your seat belt only when you travel certain "bad" roads.

I disagree. I think it is recognizing the dangers that are out there that many people don't see.

My point is that most people do not sit in their vehicle with their carry firearm drawn, while sitting at an ATM many do not place it it park so the act of stepping on the gas as you apply slight left turn to the wheel is faster and will most likely garner more attention of the attacker.

I'n not "most people" and yes, my gun would be drawn at the drive-up ATM. Gassing and turning is another way of solving the problem, and one that I sometimes favor from a tactical and legal standpoint.

As to damaging the vehicle, even if you rip the side off the entire car, you're still ahead of the game over the use of a firearm.

Not always. Chances are the criminal actor will still live and you stand the liklihood of him playing the poor poor pitiful victim in civil court. Rest assured he will not admit to committing a violent criminal act against you. He only approached you to ask for the time, or get directions, his lawyer will make sure of that.
    Biker

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links